DUAL UNIVERSE: WHAT'S COMING NEXT

NQ-Wanderer

Oh I have wanted a fuel hub for so long. 

Also I way to bookmark linked containers so you can pick saved links from a list in range

When Linking to a container don't have it default to you nano pack. the newly linked container should be the focus.

Great update and thank you!

I kinda miss an update on the schema's. NQ-Ligo hinted on some new features that could related to maybe schema changes?

Quote:

"it just may take some time or wait for the integration of other features (like for example the known issue of remainingSchematics that will be solved with the integration of another feature soon)."

1 hour ago, Aviator1280 said:

So we back in a kind of beta? Using PTU and so on? Is this a released game?

I have never met an mmo that was not always in a permanent state of development. They grow, they change, they adjust, they rebalance, they add expansions small and enormous. Sometimes they even get it right.

The news sound good, only hoping the implementation isn't just the way of least pain like asteroid "update" (read UI change with a tweak of few timers). Even if it means it will take 12 months instead of 4.

Some points to cargo delete lock:
1. I entirely support the notion of cargo jettison instead of delete lock.

2. The jettison can needs to have short life span and radar should be able to show it's mass.

3. Remove cargo destruction from container hub destruction - it's nothing more than warehouse index and doesn't hold anything on it's own.

4. Every loss of container life should imo also affect what's inside, how much gets lost/ruined is a matter of balancing.

I read through this announcement and found it to be very underwhelming. It's a collection of some planned, trying to get working and a reason for why the Repair Unit wasn't updated as promised for 1.2. To me NQ NEED to pull something decent out of the hat and have new features in place before September when the 12 month subs expire to encourage people to spend more money.

There wasn't even any update on being able to buy cosmetic items such as the costumes in an online shop which they said would be in before Christmas. (I hope this also includes cosmetics like forcefield colours that are currently locked behind multi-year RAF bonuses).

I am really concerned for this game's future and am hoping that NQ will really be able to deliver some compelling content that will ensure the future of this game.

10 hours ago, NQ-Wanderer said:

PvP Improvements

and potentially restricting the ability to remove cargo while in combat.

There is only one solution to this. Items that are marked for deletion are dropped in space as temporary containers.  There are many times during combat that you need to move resources from one container to another (IE moving ammo from a main hub to an ammo box, or moving fuel from a container to a fuel tank, moving scrap from a container to your nano, Even moving fuel ammo and scrap from one ship to another).  There are even times when you dump  your load, not to prevent attackers from getting the loot, but to increase your speed to get away. Limiting any of these legit reasons would be worse than leaving it how it currently is. 

15 hours ago, Tordan said:

Thank you for this post. I look forward to all of these features.

May I suggest you introduce just a weeeee bit of Lore into the PvE system too! who are we fighting? and why? This is a very important part of game cohesion and player motivation. Also who damaged Thades? Was it really Aphelia as Tyim insists?  Inquiring minds want to know! Drop some crumbs.

/grin

Tordan

I have to say the idea of PVE in this game never even crossed my mind. I can honestly say I thought it wouldn’t ever be seen in DU. Can I totally agree with Tordan thou, can we not just have random fights to go and have in space for the sake of it, can we actually have some meaning behind them. Maybe they are in some way linked to wrecks and the npcs are based around the wreck ( they still seem to be very under utilised) maybe a fight and a win vs the NPC means it’s ship is salvageable along with the ship they destroyed? Plus a quanta payout sounds decent right! Currently I feel we are all just literally the same, there needs to be some divide or maybe faction related lore and a reason for being who you are and doing what your doing if it’s heading this way, not just Novean!. Let’s create a bit of galaxy wide interest. A reason to be on alioth or a different faction on lacobus etc. anyway thx fpr all the hard work NQ keep it up👍

19 hours ago, Knight-Sevy said:

Good timing, I was almost going to suspend my alts payment.
So I think it will wait a bit.

I bet a large part of why this was announced now, was to try and stop the subscription bleeding.

Looking at the new features list you can clearly see they have cherry picked some long standing and frequently requested features that would be relatively easy to implement. Only PvE stands out as something that would require actual dev work.

And the next question now is many times you are going to be refreshing your subscription before the features are delivered, and what shape they will be in when released.

Given the disappointment expressed with Talemai ore (you know what I'm talking about), I hope the new planets will do things differently. If not more higher tier ore to scan, at least richer surface harvesting: higher percentage of T2 vs T1 and/or T3+ rocks. I kind of favor the later as it should give casual players a reason to spend time & effort on the planets.

4 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Only PvE stands out as something that would require actual dev work.

To be clear, this change doesn't mean "DU now has PvE".

Technically, sure, but this isn't what most people imagine when you say "DU has PvE", especially for an MMO. 

If you told someone that "DU is a space MMO that has PvE", they'd probably cancel their sub when they learn that "DU has PvE" really means "DU has one PvE mission".

There's a world of difference between repeating one PvE quest forever and actually having PvE content. 

I fear some players will conflate the two -- let's be clear about what this is, it's one PvE mission you can use to practice combat or grind, but it isn't PvE content as the average MMO gamer would recognize it from competing titles. 

2 hours ago, blundertwink said:

To be clear, this change doesn't mean "DU now has PvE".

Technically, sure, but this isn't what most people imagine when you say "DU has PvE", especially for an MMO. 

If you told someone that "DU is a space MMO that has PvE", they'd probably cancel their sub when they learn that "DU has PvE" really means "DU has one PvE mission".

There's a world of difference between repeating one PvE quest forever and actually having PvE content. 

I fear some players will conflate the two -- let's be clear about what this is, it's one PvE mission you can use to practice combat or grind, but it isn't PvE content as the average MMO gamer would recognize it from competing titles. 

I'd be surprised if we see more than a single type of PVE mission with a couple variations of enemy type/location... if they managed a full on PVE experience with multiple ways to engage ships... I'd be surprised. 

Baseline: pickup mission, fly to location, destroy ship, get reward.

Doubt we'll see: Wild NPC ships with bounties/pirates. A 'gray space' of higher tier roids, not full pvp, but filled with PVE pirates. Atmo combat as promised years ago. AvA- ability to have your ship blow up and kill the pirate as they float over to loot your ship. 

You can bolt on PVE but without making combat more engaging... idk. It's going to take serious resources to do it properly... resources I don't think they have for it, or are willing to throw at it. 

10 hours ago, grybeard said:

Do any of these changes involve removal of the subscription system?

Are you our rich uncle that is going to pay the server costs/ continued development/  repay investors so we dont have to pay a sub anymore?

10 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

Am I the only one wondering who is at this "round table discussion with members of our PvP community"? 

No you are not. 

i mean how dare we to not hand them over our cargo. 

In the next cosy round tables „they“ probably discuss removal of the safe zones. I mean you can’t use weapons in the safe zone, so PVE needs to be in PVP space of course. And generell more speed limits at least for haulers and mission ships. Not for space only with weapons on, they get a speed buff. 

I really wonder too who that round table PVP committee is NQ is snuggling up with. Can we have an outlook what else was discussed and are there other gameplay-aspect related roundtables?

Edited by Nemezir

15 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

Am I the only one wondering who is at this "round table discussion with members of our PvP community"? 

4 hours ago, Nemezir said:

No you are not. 

i mean how dare we to not hand them over our cargo. 

In the next cosy round tables „they“ probably discuss removal of the safe zones. I mean you can’t use weapons in the safe zone, so PVE needs to be in PVP space of course. And generell more speed limits at least for haulers and mission ships. Not for space only with weapons on, they get a speed buff. 

I really wonder too who that round table PVP committee is NQ is snuggling up with. Can we have an outlook what else was discussed and are there other gameplay-aspect related roundtables?

Hi i can speak to some of this. We selected 10 of the most influential PVP orgs, and each other sent a representative to the round table. Members of Novaquark, on their day off came in to hear our feedback, speculation, and direction on pvp. Our suggestions for balancing, things that we just dont use, problems that have arisen and so on. If you don't know who these groups are, thats totally alright but its also likely you are not in the front and Center of the pvp community, nor had your fingers to its pulse. 

I assure you as well, NQ is not going to do anything to gimp the pacifists. It is suboptimal to grant everything to the pvp community, which may remove our favorite prey for the game. So for us we need targets, for that to occur it must be a fruitful environment for them to thrive. So, we are all on the same page. But much as pvpers cant stand the monumentous safe zones, you will not always enjoy all the aspects of the game either. 

NQ and the PVPERS agreed on one thing whole heartedly, we want balance. :)

19 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

No as there should be NO players at that table since when it was proposed to have a general representation so including PVE or Non-PvP players it was scattled.

If this is the way to show that Only PvP players are actually worth listening too, job well done. If not, you know where to find me and other players for an invite to the table ;) 

On 1/16/2023 at 3:47 PM, NQ-Wanderer said:

Following a recent and very successful round table discussion with members of our PvP community,

@NQ-Deckard When is the rest of the community invited for these talks? Or is it custom to talk to the "aggressors" in a game and not to their victims/ players without the urge to kill other players?