The power of a name... if "Schematics" were just called...

Pleione

... "Maintenance Units"  with a description of "Various lubricants and other wearable parts used to produce a product", I suspect people would have bought into it with little complaint.

OK, OK, the implementation is currently tedious, and could be improved, but the concept would have been acceptable.

Right!!…. And then if they also require raw materials indicative of said “various lubricants and other wearable parts”…

And those materials themselves need to be made in the nanopack… or in other machines if you need greater quantities

and those lubricants etc. need schematics. 

I think you might be in to something 🤔

16 hours ago, Pleione said:

... "Maintenance Units"  with a description of "Various lubricants and other wearable parts used to produce a product", I suspect people would have bought into it with little complaint.

OK, OK, the implementation is currently tedious, and could be improved, but the concept would have been acceptable.

That would've been a bit of a wierd sell with their original conception of schematics as being a one-off purchase for a given machine. And by the time they rowed back from that disaster (which drove off more players than any other single "feature", I get the impression), they were schematics but just had to be bought every time.

And they'd still make zero sense. Possibly less than that, given the proposed lack of mats needed to create (and why aren't those mats just included in the cost-to-make...?). No, the industry model just doesn't support such in any coherent way. Partly because the industry model is largely incoherent anyway, so it's hard to develop anything "credible" as an extra layer on top of the hot mess of "nanotech and matter-condensation, but you have to mine ore" that forms the basis of the "model".

What's odd is that the machines have HP, so why not make the machines wear down over time and you have to "repair" them or have the "various lubricants and other wearable parts" aka "schematics" that can slow down the wear and tear??

I would just be happy if the transfer units would move schematics

Edited by MrTenneal

Agree completely.  Lack of lore - a consistent believable story/concept line - is a major problem throughout the game.  Starts with "We are the last remnants of humanity, so lets establish a new civilization with the goal of killing each other" and goes downhill from there.

44 minutes ago, MrTenneal said:

What's odd is that the machines have HP,

That because, once long-long ago, you could have industries on dynamic constructs.  It was an early goal of mine, before they eliminated that and the turned "Galaxy" into perhaps adding another solar system, of having a Stargate Universe class ship that could explore the universe and over a period of a month or five, pop out a stargate and then do it again.

3 hours ago, Jinxed said:

at this point, there's really not even any meaning talking about the game in a way that developers might pay heed.
The whole thing is going to burn so might as well talk about exit strategies...

What in the blazes would an exit strategy be?  Buy DACs on the long shot and leave.  That's about as complicated as I can see it.  Short version:  just leave.

3 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

There is still possibility of NQ somewhow (in wierd frankenstein way) integrading DU into their new "3d blog metaverse" thing.

There's a possibility that pigs may sprout wings and fly... At least that genetic experiment has a concrete description of the end goal... Nobody even knows what "3D blog" is, so integrating DU into it would be... challenging, even if NQ have any care for the Helios setting.