Diagnostics help.

Jinxed

I’m trying to diagnose my DU crashing in my PC. 

My PC was a Windows 10 4770K+GTX1080Ti which crashed with DU every couple of minutes. I had previously determined that an early alpha of DU had overstressed my CPU to the point where it no longer overclocked even slightly, effectively turning my chip into a 4770 non-K. 

It continued to work after returning to vanilla speeds but recently, as of “launch” (yeah sure, LOL) the game crashes randomly between 30 seconds and 15 minutes of starting. 

I reinstalled Windows 10… no joy… even tried Windows 11 - a real pain with this CPU and M/B. 

so I figured the CPU had finally given in. 
I rebuilt the PC with some spare parts, a mid range AMD B550 m/b,  my old 3900X CPU and 32GB of low speed DDR4 and reinstalled windows 11.

But bugger me if the thing still crashes exactly the same as before when trying to play DU. 

now it’s down to two things:

the GPU or PSU. 

however, I have run AIDA64 PRIME95 CINEBENCH on the CPU for 30 minutes straight. 

And I’ve run Furmark stress test, Heaven 4 benchmark, Elite Dangerous and heck, the hardest hardness of them all: CyberPunk 2077 all without crashing. 

I just can’t see what could be wrong. 

Finally, replacing the 1080Ti with my main GPU fixes the crash so I’d put money on the 1080Ti and DU compatibility being the issue. 

and of course my main PC runs DU fine with the main card… but once you get used to multi boxing, it’s hard to go back to cyclops mode so I’m really keen on getting my second box up and running again, but not willing to invest in a new GPU (Gouge Priced Unit in the current economic situation) just for a single game in my library that may keel over and die at any moment. 

PS, DU works forever without crashing if I use OpenGL but the quality and frame rate are so SHOCKINGKY bad it feels like running on IGP. Lol. 

So, what API does DU use? I presume it’s not Vulkan/DX12…. Lol. Is it even DX11? (all of which I have tested)

The graphics “feel” about DX9 quality to me. 

Any ideas how to proceed other than buying and trying a new graphics card?

9 hours ago, Cergorach said:

Are you reusing the same memory? Even if you are not, you might want to check the memory.

Does the account that you use on the second machine also crash on the main PC? Might be account related...

Try installing W10.

Thanks for the idea, great minds think alike! I’ve actually had to run my alt on my main PC since the so-called “release”. 

And it works fine. Likewise my main account crashes the secondary PC. 

also, wrt the memory, no, I moved from an Intel 4770k with DDR3 to 3900x with DDR4. 

It seems so arbitrary. It just seems to CTD completely randomly.  No wonder there are some people who are limited to one computer who just can’t play the game at all.

At least my main PC has zero problem with the game, in fact I go so far as to call it stable. (Despite now losing upwards of a quarter of my calibration ore since they “fixed” losing calibration ore yesterday)