NQ, why is element obstruction so unpredictable?

Atmosph3rik

If an element is obstructed, why does it not report that it is obstructed all the time?

It's almost as if an element that is obstructed at 1% only reports that it is obstructed 1% of the time.

If an element only reports that it is obstructed 1% of the time, is the penalty only in effect 1% of the time also?

I have no idea if this is an intentional design "feature" or a bug.  But after spending months designing a ship, meticulously placing the elements and voxels, carefully watching to build helper to make sure they are unobstructed.  Only to have an engine suddenly become obstructed once the design is nearly complete.

It's not fun.

They layered a second system to double-check the overlap between elements on top of the first system that does the check during the build mode to address the multiple elements being placed in the same place by two or more players at the same time. That second system has an issue with some of the elements' collision boxes being wonky by a pixel or two. The element models needed to be reworked with collision boxes fixed for both systems to treat it identically but instead they rammed the change through without fix. Now you live with it.

Ofc the right thing to do was to fix the build mode system in the first place but that's not the way of Negligence Quampany.

All i really want is some clarity.  If i knew that they were planning to fix it, or not planning to fix it, then i would move on.  

But when something makes playing the game this frustrating, I start to wonder if maybe I haven't made enough noise.   Maybe NQ doesn't even know about it.

And when I eventually end up on the forums, it's usually when a bug/feature has pissed me off enough that it motivates me to come make another post about it.  Which doesn't usually lead to the most politely worded or "balanced" feedback.

I can accept a yes or no answer.  What's hard to accept is not knowing whether NQ is even aware of an issue.

This has been an issue since day one.

7 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

And when I eventually end up on the forums, it's usually when a bug/feature has pissed me off enough that it motivates me to come make another post about it.  Which doesn't usually lead to the most politely worded or "balanced" feedback.

The forum feedback is perfectly 'balanced' with regard to how NQ has been handling the game and community interactions.

It is not like the forum and discord just suddenly one day became a cesspool of negativity, but instead is something that NQ has worked consistently to achieve for a long time now.

8 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

If i knew that they were planning to fix it, or not planning to fix it, then i would move on.

You are on the safe side assuming they are not going to fix it. I guess they are aware of it but NQ has no budget for this kind of bugfixes and because the codebase is a hot steamy mess. That they implemented a second layer of collision checks tells me that they gave up finding the bugs in the original code. I'm sure this applies to obstruction (and most other known issues) as well.