Overlapping element detection is still not working

Zeddrick

I think this is the third time I've posted about this and now I'm really annoyed about it.  I have a ship which has been working for a long time.  It's a diligence without any modifications (besides those made by a very enthusiastic ally when I entered the PvP zone).  It certainly doesn't have any Janko'ed elements.

So today I get into the ship (which worked when I landed it) and have no error messages, but mysteriously the space engines don't work.  Try to land again but some of the brakes don't work either and this is when I find out.  Boom.  Rep a bunch of things.  Run out of the lunch break I was playing in but have to keep going or my packages will expire.  I'm sure work won't mind if I just play a broken video game some more.  Eventually I try again, try lots of things like resetting cache, using a different chair, etc but nothing is working.  Ask for help in the help channel.  There are some pretty nice and helpful players in there who tell me there are no GMs and I'm basically SOL.  I land without crashing this time (because I'm expecting it).  Now we're well over an hour into my quick 15 minute 'set it flying' play session.

Then I go into build mode and then, and only then, do I get the message "some of your elements are colliding and have been deactivated".  FFS really?  How long have we had this 'feature' and how hard is it to get this stuff right on a ship which has never had any janko'ed elements and is basically a design from the start of beta that has been working ever since.  

Seriously NQ. DU was never perfect, but this is a lot worse than it used to be.  Things like this really spoil the experience for people who are just trying to play the game and seem like overkill compared with the small problem of cheating by element stacking.

• Zeddrick changed the title to Overlapping element detection is still not working

On closer inspection, my ship suddenly has a double-digit number of overlapping elements all over which have been working fine up until now.  Including 19 wings which appear to have been randomly selected from a stack of 58.  I haven't any time left to fix this as it looks like it will take hours.  I will lose all my packages.  Thanks NQ.

I came back later and tried to force respawn in order to buy a new ship to finish the mission with.  Tried to deactivate the res node.  "This element is colliding with another and cannot be used".  Of course it is.  So I hit force respawn and respawned onto it anyway.  Really?  I can't deactivate it but I can still respawn to it.  Of course I can, the game is determined to make me mess about in build mode in a ship I bought so I wouldn't have to mess about with ships in build mode.

Beta was better than this.

It even happens while you're building a ship: sometimes you can nudge an Element into place, and it still looks legit and blue, but when you hit <Return> to drop it in place, you get an "Elements are colliding" message. So the visial guide is using different criteria to judge collision between elements to whatever goes on when you "drop" the item in.

Ugh i'm so annoyed about this.  

The last thing NQ told us, as far as i know, was that stacking detection was NOT working and that they were planning to rework it and then let us test it BEFORE elements would actually be deactivated by it.  But that was several updates, and an official launch ago.  And it seems to have been deployed in the same broken state that it was in at the time of that communication.

My speeder has zero flagged elements 90% of the time.  But if i compact it and then deploy it on Haven it suddenly has one adjuster and one brake flagged.  I had the same issue in Beta with the same speeder design and reported it.  The adjuster isn't even visually touching the brakes, and none of the other elements that are in the exact same position are ever flagged.

We've been begging NQ for literally ANY information on the current state of this system for months now.

Will it ever work correctly?

Do they know that it isn't working correctly?

As a ship builder it would be nice to know how close i am allowed to place one element to another, when i am placing it.  Not two days later.

I almost quit the game today because of this.  It was working for literally weeks.  It worked well enough for me to pick up a bunch of packages.  Then it failed silently and took a lot of troubleshooting before I even knew what was going on.  It turned out over 50 elements are now overlapping.  50.  Including 3/4 of the atmo brakes and about 1/3 of the wings.  I ended up abandoning it and am now the proud owner of a VHagar and if that breaks in the same way I probably will quit for good.

At the market I saw someone using a diligence.  It was a bit more modded than mine but the core elements hadn't been moved.  It looked like it was working without stacked element problems.

It's just a complete shitshow really.

This was a thing in beta, and a lot of times if you go into build mode and jiggle the offending element, it works fine (move it left one, then back right.) i had to jiggle all 67 wings on my inquisitor after every patch towards the end of beta.

It absolutely beggars belief that in a game which is basically 90% design and building that the engine can't show you WHAT your element is actually colliding with when you place it...

And then, when the ghost finally shows OK (blue) and you actually click the mouse or press enter to place the object in the desired location, the engine says "BZZT! You're a stupid twat!" and returns your element to it's original location while laughing at you.

It seems like there are several disparate collision detection systems in this game which ironically are colliding with each other.

Same goes with the atmo speed detection algorithms which change depending whether you are in or out of build mode.

This game is basically a fully priced Alpha.

23 minutes ago, Kezzle said:

Word.

It's not feature-complete and many of the features that are "done" aren't; they're tentative frameworks for placeholders.

It is not an exaggeration to say that the game had more features, fun, and stability in the first half of Beta than any point from launch or beyond (so far).

18 hours ago, TonyTones said:

But we have pets now 🤣

And dancing avatars.  Don't forget the dancing avatars, they were a big deal.  So when my ship crashes because all the breaks got turned off because of Novaquirks I can get out and dance around doing my happy dance.

It's even weird behavior in statics. I can deploy Extended Basic Containers XXL closer together within one placement session then when I leave placement session and come back...

It's weird, it's frustrating, it still hasn't been fixed after years of development and it probably never will...

And the really frustrating part is that they broke it trying to fix a problem that did not even exist any longer.

The exploit that made it possible to stack had already been removed, so when wiping all they had to do was to scan all blueprints a single time and remove the obvious problems ( >10 percent overlap).

The slight overlapping (< 5 percent?) sometimes possible by careful managing element placement was never an exploit or even a problem, and overall a great help to make things more aesthetic.

So there was no need for any more check that what was already in place before they "fixed" it. And yes, I and others tried telling them this, many times.. 

18 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

And dancing avatars.  Don't forget the dancing avatars, they were a big deal.  So when my ship crashes because all the breaks got turned off because of Novaquirks I can get out and dance around doing my happy dance.

NovaQuirks.  

hehe. 

I like the cut of your jib, sir.