Opinion from Sanctuary hex owners

Nick__1

In my opinion as a Sanctuary hex owner, I wish new players and non Sanctuary hex owners could trade in a Haven hex for a Sanctuary hex somehow. I like the terrain of Sanctuary the best of all planets so far and that it’s tax free zone. However Sanctuary is dead mostly. If people could move the tax free hex from Haven to Sanctuary I think it might give more life to it. Seems mostly the only people that would take the time to do so will likely be long time players and so there won’t be a ton of unused hexes for a while (I’m thinking). Not asking NQ for this but just seeing if there are a lot of others that also might like this. I’m sure there are negatives to doing this and some people might not want this. Just trying to get a feeling of what the community thinks.

Gaving both Sanctuary and Haven was always going to split the starter base numbers. Personally, I'd rather they were unevenly split, given the low numbers actually active. Trying to move people off Haven just makes that less "lively", potentially without improving the situation on Sanc noticeably.

I agree, it is a lot better if new players all start on the same planet. This helps maintain a level of consistency to the FTUE and keeps things more lively. However the Sanctuary moon should eventually be made an option for future expansion. The problem is that backers somewhat paid for that privilege due to the additional sanctuary territory unit(s) given in the supporter packs and they may not appreciate it if NQ were to just hand new players one for free. There probably needs to be some sort of compromise whereby new players have to at least earn their sanctuary tile. Maybe something like making it a reward for completing all VR tutorials and challenges?

1)  The traditional MMO starter zone is abandoned quickly as players explore the world.  Trying to force people to set up a permanent tile on a specific planet (in a sandbox) is at best off-putting.  Using the Haven TU as the respawn of last resort is an excellent work-around to provide an in-game value to the tile that doesn't detract from other gameplay aspects.  It would be helpful for brand new players to be given more information about the pros and cons of picking their first Haven tile before being forced into the choice, which then highlights a few flaws in the design... /sigh

2)  A sandbox game should give zero F's about where the players live and play; just facilitate those functions in general.  If you want the game to be lively then be active and attract more players to the general proximity of where you call home.  It isn't easy but far less destructive than forcing choices in a sandbox.

3)  The STU was considered a cash shop item from inception and appears to still be the case based on verbal comments during official streams.  Trying to shoehorn it into another role at this point is more likely than not to cause more problems than it would solve.

6 hours ago, Msoul said:

I agree, it is a lot better if new players all start on the same planet. This helps maintain a level of consistency to the FTUE and keeps things more lively. However the Sanctuary moon should eventually be made an option for future expansion. The problem is that backers somewhat paid for that privilege due to the additional sanctuary territory unit(s) given in the supporter packs and they may not appreciate it if NQ were to just hand new players one for free. There probably needs to be some sort of compromise whereby new players have to at least earn their sanctuary tile. Maybe something like making it a reward for completing all VR tutorials and challenges?

I'm just trying to get my head around the incandescent rage that letting newbies earn an STU for doing all the tutorials and challenges might incite in some of those backers who didn't get an STU until they were irrelevant. Though its very irrelevance might allay some of the resentment; mine's still in my nanopack, because "What's the point?"

But if it's that irrelevant, what, again, is the point of giving it as a reward to anyone for anything. Especially now the surface Natron isn't even necessary for Space Fuel. I can't see any reason beyond completionism to go to Sanctuary at all.

Haha well said. The whole situation is rather contradictory but I totally understand why some would feel that way. Still given time both the sentiment towards and relevance of sanctuary may change. Putting the pricetag vs value issue aside, I do think there eventually needs to be a way, even if it is only for those hardcore completionists.

I will say I don’t see a reason two not let people start on Sanctuary or move their now that the backers have claimed their spots  I also think it’s dumb I can’t give up my haven spot that I don’t use  because I moved two Sanctuary why did they even force me two get a haven spot  that I never wanted 

On 12/17/2022 at 6:40 AM, Kezzle said:

I'm just trying to get my head around the incandescent rage that letting newbies earn an STU for doing all the tutorials and challenges might incite in some of those backers who didn't get an STU until they were irrelevant. Though its very irrelevance might allay some of the resentment; mine's still in my nanopack, because "What's the point?"

But if it's that irrelevant, what, again, is the point of giving it as a reward to anyone for anything. Especially now the surface Natron isn't even necessary for Space Fuel. I can't see any reason beyond completionism to go to Sanctuary at all.

If I remember correctly there was only 2000L of non refreshing natron anyway. Completely minuscule in the grand scheme of things. 

5 hours ago, Jinxed said:

If I remember correctly there was only 2000L of non refreshing natron anyway. Completely minuscule in the grand scheme of things. 

Aye, true enough. But it "used to be something" even if only a little thing (more significant if it'd been available at the very beginning to all those to whom it orter've been available), and now it's even less. Yay. Almost a microcosm of DU in that one "development".

I can only echo your "Le sigh" comment from a little while back.

The whole concept of sanctuary and, to some extent, haven seems broken to me.  The only reason I have a Sanctuary tile is because the STU in my inventory was annoying me so I went and put it somewhere.  The problem with Sanctuary in particular is we are playing an MMO, which means interacting with other players, which means being somewhere where other players are so the market is stocked, there are things to look at, you see other people out and about, etc.  Sanctuary breaks this by being an 'exclusive' space where most people can't have a tile, which means that there won't be many other players around.  That makes it a bad space to use for developing any sort of base or whatever (nobody will see what you make, markets won't be stocked, etc) so nobody really lives on these tiles, making the problem even worse.

And they made they sky a horrible orange colour.

Haven is pretty similar actually.  People can settle there, but the large number of claimed tiles means players are far from markets, making them bad places to live.  Nobody can sell, unclaim or transfer their tile so a lot of the ones nearer the markets will be used by players who have stopped playing or who are alts, making the claimed area a bit stale.  I have a nice Haven tile and would like to use it, but the area around it is empty and making use of it is pointless so I moved near the districts like everyone else.

In order to be useful the areas around the moons will need to be more like the tiles around districts, able to eventually be reclaimed if someone leaves the game to keep the area around them fresh and actually used.  The 'I can leave the game and keep my constructs safe here' feature is OK up to a point, but you can't move your static constructs back to the safe moons anyway and this functionality could be enabled some other way with a special aphelia-owned long term storage tile which hides unused constructs or whatever.

Sanctuary is for all means and purposes a backer reward, and it is perfectly fine where it is.  Besides the few rocks on surface it is more or less the same deal as Haven. The only issue i would have with haven is that it is needless far from alioth causing new players immediatelly abandon it the moment strap on their first space engine.

In that sense starter planets serve close to no real purpose, it's just a bowl of dust with endless plains of abandoned starter bases. From functional standpoint might as well start on alioth and skip the whole intermezzo of haven FTUE

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 6:06 PM, Daphne Jones said:

I think Sanctuary is fine as is. I don't mind it being emptyish.

I agree. This is one of the benefits to being on Sanct. It was promised that it would be a backers only area, to change that now and open it up to everyone would be another great big middle finger to the backers.