UPDATE 1.2 ARRIVES ON DECEMBER 13TH - TACTICAL MAP, REVAMPED ASTEROIDS AND MORE

NQ-Wanderer

9 minutes ago, Pleione said:

Personally I'm thrilled they have recognized Solo players exist. 

I agree.  And more changes like this are needed to make the game attractive OR it will just become a 2 horse race where nobody else gets to enjoy all areas of the game.  There are still going to be Org Monopolies, I mean how long did it take for all the ore flowers to get scanned and yanked, some Orgs taking 60+ tiles.  Ore tiles should deplete over time forcing the relocation and speculators to come again... or after some time Territory Scanners will become useless like the end of beta... there was nothing worth scanning.  

10 minutes ago, TobiwanKenobi said:

There should be an indication of radar range at the top/bottom of the sphere in the form of a vertical circle that shows where the limits are.

I think the radar is ultimately pointless, that radar in ED is based across a lot smaller scale and this is till only 400km (2su) if you are travelling at speed you are not  going to even stop the ship in 2su let alone change course.  This would only be good for CQC / Dogfights,,, 

And you should have the ability to go radar silent - if you cut engines you are gone.  Radar should be minimum 5su with talents. 

33 minutes ago, Pleione said:

Yeah... stay 30 minutes after spending 4-6 hours finding the rock.  That was NOT a reward, it was Ganker fodder design.

Personally I'm thrilled they have recognized Solo players exist.  Can't recall the last time over the past 5 years when they have tried to balance for us a bit.  Maybe because they never really did?

Who takes 4-6 hours to find a rock.  Maybe 20 mins at worst.  What are you doing out there?

Stop copying other games. Make something for yourself. The MU's were pretty much a copy of an eve mechanic (Planetary interaction) and now just straight up COPY the ED radar like none of us has played that game and wouldn't call you out.

C'mon already. Someone show some dignity around here.

Edited by FatRillos
sp

Make wrecks like asteroids, that way its more engaging.

As for the loss of "PvP" game play. Ganking is not PvP., that's like calling a street thug a Mobster. Don't mind sharks in the water, that's part of the game however a predator should have to hunt for its prey and not be handed victims on a platter.

I agree with the player suggested UO-esque consequences of firing first.

8 minutes ago, FatRillos said:

Stop copying other games. Make something for yourself. The MU's were pretty much a copy of an eve mechanic (Planetary interaction) and now just straight up COPY the ED radar like none of us has played that game and wouldn't call you out.

C'mon already. Someone show some dignity around here.

Agreed, however maybe they bought the assets from Frontier?

3 minutes ago, Idris Kael said:

That would cost more than making their own, if they did this... That's even more lazy and a waste of our sub money. Bad business.. 

5 minutes ago, Idris Kael said:

they didn't, check w1zard's post in this thread, the image is taken from this article https://www.vrheads.com/8-quick-tips-and-tricks-survive-pvp-combat-elite-dangerous

it's not even a careful photoshop, you can still see the "4" from the heat etc..  quick and dirty just like everything else.   

why do you even need to resort to that to tease a feature supposedly releasing in a week, anyway?

2 hours ago, Cobqlt said:

Asteroids change are really oriented around carebears... Why people still need more no risk in PVP? Do you even listen NQ what we need and how people are full of ressources

They said there will be a timer, they didn't say the timer would remain the same.  How much ore can an org nom from a rock in 20 minutes?  If they're not watching the timer they'll still be sitting and waiting for you to get your pew on.  Everyone is full on T1, but that isn't what we'd be going into your turf to get now is it?  Instead of jumping the instant it goes to rumored you'll have to be ready to jump to catch them before they leave.  But you wouldn't want a whole bunch of ore would you?

1 minute ago, Wyndle said:

They said there will be a timer, they didn't say the timer would remain the same.  How much ore can an org nom from a rock in 20 minutes?  If they're not watching the timer they'll still be sitting and waiting for you to get your pew on.  Everyone is full on T1, but that isn't what we'd be going into your turf to get now is it?  Instead of jumping the instant it goes to rumored you'll have to be ready to jump to catch them before they leave.  But you wouldn't want a whole bunch of ore would you?

Personally. Coming from a pvp / mining org leader myself. This is a good change and will add more depth to pvp hunting and mining all together. It's a good compromise. The only people who will not like this change are the Legion and BOO guys who pray on new players who mine and don't know the strategies to avoid a pvp encounter. 

42 minutes ago, Anitalex said:

Who takes 4-6 hours to find a rock.  Maybe 20 mins at worst.  What are you doing out there?

Some people count travel time from their home planet.  So 2-4 hours travel and then 20 minutes search time is a reasonable estimate for direct travel.  Avoiding the pipes in getting to the rock may add up to double the travel time.

Where are the radar reworks that was mentioned?  is it remaining 2 SU range?  (hoped it wasnt because of risk/reward for missions is so minimal risk)

Seems lackluster except wrecks sound brilliant !

21 minutes ago, Sarrah said:

Personally. Coming from a pvp / mining org leader myself. This is a good change and will add more depth to pvp hunting and mining all together. It's a good compromise. The only people who will not like this change are the Legion and BOO guys who pray on new players who mine and don't know the strategies to avoid a pvp encounter. 

I totally disagree and I principally kills players on pipes those day (no time for roaming for nothing due to my job)

The DU unofficial killboard talk by itself, or internal killboards are clear, roids kills are mainly throwaway ship. Adding more tool for dodge PVP players or protect more miners will just help them to continue this.

On a MMO, I prefer push the players for regroup or pay some mercenary or any other way than just allow a free farm for everyone and annhilate the utility of trying to defend your stuff.

35 minutes ago, Sarrah said:

The tactical map though.. Is there any worries of intellectual theft? That is pretty much a 1 to 1 rip from Elite... 

If it functions the way they shopped the image it should be generic enough to avoid IP concerns.

9 hours ago, NQ-Wanderer said:

SALVAGE OPERATIONS

I love a bit of exploration. And this could be something interesting todo.  And I suppose the question is going to be what are the rewards vrs the time/risk going to be.  Am I going to be able to go out and salvage 10m worth of parts in 2 hours?  Or am I going to spend 2 hours to get a couple parts I can salvage for 10k in profit?  This has to be pretty hard for NQ to balance. 

2 hours ago, Virtualburn said:

Those that think ganking unarmed miners is PVP - lol.   How about you can't enter the safezone for 2 hours after an attack so you have to stay out in PVP land and be flagged as a blip on the map... so if you want PVP you can find them, and if you attack you can also defend... there you go PVP.

Right.

The root of the PvP issues in this game is the fact that safe zones were created instead of combat mechanics. If we had been iterating on warfare, for everything, since Alpha, we'd have something really nice. Instead NQ threw in temporary measures that forced there hand with every other mechanic. So we're in a world where there is a magic line that _everyone_ can hide behind. I'd love for the world to be dangerous and for players to need to make safe-spaces, but we need the tools to do that. Static construct mounted automated weaponry would be fun for PvP, but it would be cheap to deploy and hard to defeat (not impossible, just hard). That way the ships are _easier_ than the bases, but again, not impossible. Anything that is impossible versus improbable, sucks. When someone kills you, they should become red to you, you should be able to put a bounty on them, AND a bounty on reporting their location! That makes being an aggressor and surviving a thing of pride, but also give people a chance to hunt them, and their base, down.

It's not a sandbox unless you give _everyone_ sand, which means anyone can throw it in anyone else's eyes at any time. Not just sometimes in certain parts of the sandbox.

2 hours ago, Virtualburn said:

I think the radar is ultimately pointless, that radar in ED is based across a lot smaller scale and this is till only 400km (2su) if you are travelling at speed you are not  going to even stop the ship in 2su let alone change course.  This would only be good for CQC / Dogfights,,, 

And you should have the ability to go radar silent - if you cut engines you are gone.  Radar should be minimum 5su with talents. 

My pvp ship can stop in 0.7 SU when traveling at 44k if it does a flip-and-burn. Tactical map will be valuable to pvpers for sure.

1 minute ago, TobiwanKenobi said:

My pvp ship can stop in 0.7 SU when traveling at 44k if it does a flip-and-burn. Tactical map will be valuable to pvpers for sure.

While I agree that we need a better UI, I don't think E:D radar ripoff will work for DU.

let's try to get an answer for these questions:
- Why E:D have this kind of radar?
and
- Would this work for DU?

E:D is a an immersive First-Person view game. Again, First-Person.
And this radar is your
only way of knowing your surrounding.
Also the combat in E:D is at much lower distances
In DU you can just wiggle your mouse a bit and see what's going on.
I think we actually need some fleet markers, and better UI for already existing system. Not a ripoff from other game with different mechanics...