Did NQ just announce their newest project...3d blogging software?

blundertwink

From NQ's CEO (recent public post): 

[...] Online 3D metaverse technologies through voxels and creative tools, like the Novaquark stack for 3D blogging 

Web3 as a way to incentivize communities, bypassing as much third parties as possible

And even harder to predict progress in most human fields (from vaccines to foil boats)
💻

So even if the world we envisioned in the 80´s (or more recently Gibson’s inspired The Peripheral) has pros and cons (on a soft note even Pondsmith’s Cyberpunk RPG had a hard landing in the field of video games), let’s keep pushing!

Pics taken at the Enter The Metaverse event in London this week. Again, easy to lose the big picture, but great to see positivity and dynamism!

What is "The Novaquark stack for 3d blogging"...? 

NQ must have some belief in this new product for their CEO to take time during the initial launch of their game to promote it...?

I'm curious what "big picture" he is even talking about...? IMO, this obsession with the metaverse is detrimental to NQ being able to survive as a game studio. If 3d blogging software is really the business he wants to be in, more power to him...but it feels like a lack of focus, especially for a company that's so small. 

No gonna lie. If I was the CEO of NQ I would also be trying hard to find something to replace DU with. Simply because DU the technology is failing miserably to deliver what was promised and has gone nowhere after all these years of dev.

But metaverse/web3 is probably the last place I would be looking.

In order for DU to be an effective 3D blogging system, would require a more enhanced chat system I would imagine then the 90's era functionality present in current in game chat. 
If the future of the metaverse doesn't include copy paste of text, then I will have to opt out, if they don't drag you kicking and screaming to strap you to their vr headset.

30 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

No gonna lie. If I was the CEO of NQ I would also be trying hard to find something to replace DU with. Simply because DU the technology is failing miserably to deliver what was promised and has gone nowhere after all these years of dev.

You might be mistaking cause and effect.  I have been wondering if DU is failing because the company is trying hard to find something to replace it with instead of trying to make it better?

12 minutes ago, Rokkur said:

would require a more enhanced chat system I would imagine then the 90's era functionality present in current in game chat. 

Chat actually worked in the 90s though.

Not disagreeing with you, just adding my frustration lol

I played Everquest back then, and you could create custom chat windows, send different types of messages to different windows.  Private messages would open in a popup window.  You could customize the text color so you could tell important messages from less important ones.  You could even send links to items in chat, so someone else could click the link and see the full description of the item.

It took them a few years to make all of those improvements.  But they recognized that allowing players to communicate with each other in the game, was vital.

When you see another player in DU it feels like you're on opposite sides of soundproof glass, and all you can do is wave at each other and hop around hoping to get their attention, so maybe they will switch to the right chat channel and possibly see what you are saying to them.

1 hour ago, Rokkur said:

In order for DU to be an effective 3D blogging system, would require a more enhanced chat system I would imagine then the 90's era functionality present in current in game chat. 

I don't think this will be in DU at all...I personally think it will be a stand-alone product (if it ever actually materializes).

He specifically said "3d blogging stack".

Usually when you're pitching a "stack", it's to developers / businesses, not consumers...That makes me think this is more than some stupid module added to DU. It's a stupid stand-alone product, instead. :D 

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Unfortunately, web3/metaverse/crypto people tend to be rather absolute in their insistence that these technologies are the future...

This isn't a CEO that is just trying to position NQ to be trendy, he really does believe in web3 and the metaverse, even as these concepts have massively imploded in popularity, especially among the investment establishment. 

He will continue to drive the company in this direction...like it or not, NQ is truly not a game studio and really is "The Metaverse Company".

It's working for Meta, right...? Surely this direction will work even better for a company with about 0.2% as much money backing it...

15 hours ago, Cergorach said:

Do you have a link to the source? It really feels and reads as something 'lost in translation'... Is that not a badly translated quote from a French conversation?

It was posted by the CEO himself (in English) on their LinkedIn.

I don't want to link to it directly for fear that this is against some TOU somewhere -- but it isn't hard to find. It's still his most recent post, and is public. 

On a lighter note, the screenshot of this metaverse conference is funny to me....it's maybe 20 people in that room?

Unsure what entity in the "metaverse" space is thriving...hard to imagine that this conference will be some hugely popular avenue for NQ to pitch whatever product they had in mind, DU or not. 

1 minute ago, Cergorach said:

I'm not seeing it on the public site (without a login), nor can I find it via Google (only your quote shows up)...

Unfortunately, linkedIn is obnoxious in requiring a login.

I'll post a screenshot of the post to avoid direct linking to LinkedIn -- if any mods have issues with this, I apologize in advance. 

I'm only sharing because it's from a public post and the direction of NQ as a company is 100% relevant to DU: 

image.png.5a0bc21adc12630b14718947fb7068ab.png

English (Translator used)

I hope that as part of this development it will be possible in DU to export constructions to which one has building rights as 3D files from DU and then print them out with a 3D printer (has already been done once).

German (original)

Ich hoffe das im Rahmen dieser Entwicklung wird es in DU möglich sein, Konstrukte auf die man Baurechte hat, als 3D-Dateien aus DU zu exportieren und dann mit einem 3D-Drucker auszudrucken (wurde schon einmal gemacht).

Die Waldfee

9 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

"stack for 3D Blogging" sounds like word salad to me.   What even is that?  Does my toilet count as one?

That's because it is. He means well, but it's apparent he is a late convert and not someone of the technology he preaches. 

It is no offense to him, or NQ, just that it's a games company pretending to be a web 3 company... in an era when web 3 is struggling to take hold/dying in the crib, and video games are... well, bigger than ever. 

Dual Universe is better served pleasing the game customer vs the.... web 3 crypto metaverse user... that doesn't exist yet, and has failed to manifest mainstream adoption in the last 25 years. Active Worlds, There.com, Second Life, Open Sim, Sansar, High Fidelity, NeosVR, and.... VR Chat. Not to say those arn't successful, but... Roblox exists and makes more money than all of those projects combined, why? it simplified the ability for content creators to make and sell content, aka games, directly to a captative audience. 

Creators in those ecosystems account for 10% of the total user base, the other 90% are consumers of their content.  VR chat makes it easy to consume content, both in worlds made by others and avatars, plus it's gamified to a degree, or least allows games to be created within it. 

If NovaQuark can pivot to that model, awesome... at this point I don't think they really have a clear idea of where to take it, or how to properly monetize their game, or how to pivot it into a concept that is closer to a web 3/metaverse game. Sure DU could sell some skins/items in a store, but... monetize your creators and let them build the content that gets monetized and potentially make even more... with less investment over time; or do both and make bank.

There is worry they're not agile enough, nor have the team required to make that happen though. 

10 hours ago, NotReally ApheIia said:

There is worry they're not agile enough, nor have the team required to make that happen though. 

I'm starting to feel like I'm reading the script from a Bill & Ted movie.  When I first mentioned a cash shop (at least first time since end of Beta), I was very deliberate in pointing out that the revenue that came from the shop should be re-invested into hiring more devs so the game could thrive and improve at a faster rate.  That was before I witnessed successive patches under "release" and saw just how... uninspiring?... their pace and design choices are at present.  Not to get into current events or politics, but I don't see NQ keeping to the status quo much longer.  Sink or swim time.