virtual scaffolding is too dark / gray

Sethioz

hi, any way to change intensity of virtual scaffolding? i have .obj file that loads in 3d modelling software just fine, but in-game it's just gray and hardly visible, it's very hard building anything based on that as it's too dark. during daytime i can barely see it. i went thru options and right-click menu, but only found scaling and rotation, but nothing about intensity. i've seen some videos of it too and they all have it bright white, so what's the issue here? thanks.

There is currently no way to alter how a 3D model is rendered inside the game client apart from the basic transformations listed in the right click menu of the projector element. If you are having a hard time seeing your model then it could be related to how the mesh is defined. If you are using blender then perhaps try to perform some preprocessing like what is described in this tutorial or try prepping it with this plugin. Alternatively, could you provide screenshots from both your 3d modeling software and in-game. Seeing that comparison could help us better understand the problem you are facing.

The Youtube tutorial that Msoul linked above worked well for me.  But i also had to scale the entire model down to a much smaller size in Blender, before it became visible in game. 

If you use the in-game settings to scale the model down, it will shrink the diameter of the wireframe itself too.  So if the model needs resizing it's better to do that in Blender first, and then follow the steps from the tutorial.

i don't use any 3d software, i grabbed a model from one of those 3D printing websites, they usually come as .stl or .obj. if it's stl, i can easily convert it online using some 3d model viewer. i dont use any plugins or software.

is there some online tool that can convert the mesh and make it more visible?

or perhaps someone knows a lua script that can be used to play around with intensity of the hologram? my lua skills aren't good enough to be able to write my own code.

I am not aware of any online tools for this and the projector does not have any built in lua capabilities right now. I think your best bet is to learn how to use 3d software like blender (there are tons of online tutorials for this) or if you are able to share said model then either myself or another player here would likely be willing to assist you with making the necessary adjustments. 

7 hours ago, Msoul said:

I am not aware of any online tools for this and the projector does not have any built in lua capabilities right now. I think your best bet is to learn how to use 3d software like blender (there are tons of online tutorials for this) or if you are able to share said model then either myself or another player here would likely be willing to assist you with making the necessary adjustments. 

thanks, but i'm not going to learn 3D modelling just so that i can make 1 build in DU, even for those who do this for living, it would take MONTHS to complete a 3D model of a ship i'm building ... i dont get paid for this and i have no motivation to learn 3D modelling just one build.

i'm only interested in getting the projector to work properly so i can make some replica builds, i already started the build anyways. i disabled all other guidelines and it's actually not too bad when using dark materials.

however if there's some trick that can make it brighter, it would be much appreciated. i rather not give exact model of what i'm building, but here's example:

download this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4289935

view / convert in this: https://3dviewer.net/

i grabbed the .stl file from one of those 3D printing websites and then used that online tool to convert it into .obj.

i also tried some other 3D models and converters too and some even come in .obj format, but they all show up as gray in-game.

I had never used Blender before, or any other 3d modeling software.  I installed it, just to fix the .obj file.

You don't really have to know how to use the program.  You just have to follow the steps in the tutorial video.

If you had to adjust the scale of the model, when you loaded it in game on the scaffolding.  You can adjust the scale in Blender, by the same percentage, and that should fix the scale.  Once you have the .obj file scaled to the correct size, then try following the steps in the tutorial.

I also tried using the Blender Plugin that Msoul linked above, but i found the process of installing and using the plugin to be even more confusing than the tutorial video.

I will say that fixing the .obj file was well worth the trouble.  It made it soooo much easier to see.  Before that i was working at night, just so i could see the wireframe better.   

I examined the model from Thingiverse you linked and I suspect the reason you are encountering problems is due to how the normals have been defined on these 3d prints. This is fairly easy to solve using 3d modeling software as nearly all of them allow you to re-export without said normals. However if you would prefer to avoid that route then you can always manually remove them. Simply open your .obj file up in any plaintext editor and remove all lines beginning with "vn". For example if you see something like this, you would need to delete lines 3 and 4 but leave everything else alone.

v -81.464111 11.354034 16.692894
v 34.420517 19.880941 27.747639
vn -0.0005 -0.2839 -0.9588
vn 0.5546 0.2754 0.7852
s 0
f 1//1 3//1 2//1

If that still does not work then I really need to see the specific model in question in order to figure out what is going wrong. I do understand your concerns about sharing specifics on your build so consider sending it to me privately via forum DM. My only motivation here is to help you out and if you want to keep your design private then I will respect that.

12 hours ago, Msoul said:

I examined the model from Thingiverse you linked and I suspect the reason you are encountering problems is due to how the normals have been defined on these 3d prints. This is fairly easy to solve using 3d modeling software as nearly all of them allow you to re-export without said normals. However if you would prefer to avoid that route then you can always manually remove them. Simply open your .obj file up in any plaintext editor and remove all lines beginning with "vn". For example if you see something like this, you would need to delete lines 3 and 4 but leave everything else alone.

v -81.464111 11.354034 16.692894
v 34.420517 19.880941 27.747639
vn -0.0005 -0.2839 -0.9588
vn 0.5546 0.2754 0.7852
s 0
f 1//1 3//1 2//1

If that still does not work then I really need to see the specific model in question in order to figure out what is going wrong. I do understand your concerns about sharing specifics on your build so consider sending it to me privately via forum DM. My only motivation here is to help you out and if you want to keep your design private then I will respect that.

thanks, i will give it a try after i'm done with my build, because currently i have it scaled, rotated and lined up and i'm afraid to lose this positioning if i mess about with the current model or try another (i only have 1 scaffolding module, so can't test on another build).

i'll leave another reply once i have tested it.

1 hour ago, Sethioz said:

thanks, i will give it a try after i'm done with my build, because currently i have it scaled, rotated and lined up and i'm afraid to lose this positioning if i mess about with the current model or try another (i only have 1 scaffolding module, so can't test on another build).

i'll leave another reply once i have tested it.

It's a good idea to write down all the numbers from each field in the configuration window for the scaffolding too.  That way if something were to go wrong part way through your build, you would be able to get the wireframe back into the same position and rotation that you have it in now.

6 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

It's a good idea to write down all the numbers from each field in the configuration window for the scaffolding too.  That way if something were to go wrong part way through your build, you would be able to get the wireframe back into the same position and rotation that you have it in now.

yeah i screenshotted it, but removing vn lines didn't work, i see no visual changes at all.

did you try with the model i linked and it worked?

it's not a big problem anyways, i just have to use darker material and it shows up quite ok.