Recycling

Mncdk1

The implementation we're going to get of recycling, seems to be - at the same time - both the laziest implementation they could have done, and also, a needlessly complicated implementation.

The needlessly complicated part is the need to rightclick on everything that I want to recycle. If I crash a ship a few times, and take the parts off when they reach one life each, then I now have a ton of parts that I need to rightclick>recycle on each one individually. You know, you could have just made a random machine that had an input box, and an output box. And players would have been fine with that. The machine only needed an "on or off" state; "Recycle the contents of the input box, yes/no?". Instead it was made pointlessly tedious to do.

At least that part feels familiar.

Secondly, the way the output seems to be chosen, at least according to NQ Riply and what was shown on the stream, the recycling process just picks a random input material, and gives you all of it? What kind of nonsense if that? I've destroyed and repaired an element X numbers of times, but every single piece of Y input materials that went into making it, is perfectly fine and the lot will be recycled?!? COME ON. At least make element lives matter. Give all of the materials, but some percentage of each, which is then reduced as element lives are reduced.

Sorry, Deckard wants balanced feedback, so I should say something nice. The tower with the colored lumi-glass rings looked kinda neat.

Ergonomy of recycling is truly bad. Other than that it is a weird lottery.

What I would have expected - Recycler as described by Mncdk1 - input bin, output bin... talents and remaining lives of element that that affect output result in % of original product materials (as would be needed to produce respective element by full level 5 industrialist). 

The "recycler" unit needs to be renamed if it's not going to be expanded to do actual recycling. Not sure what you'd call something that generates both H/O2 and scrap. 

Should be able to highlight multiple items in inventory and recycle if that's not how it works now.

I'd rather recycler be a new tool or existing tool mode (alt+repair?) than right-click menu.

I kinda get the random item type return because most of the value of some items is in the frame or complex part, but still weird.

It took months and months to put in this half-assed excuse for game content. When we talked about how to do it for months. This is barely more than right click delete. 

How about this? I'll just delete the broken items and you can give whoever did that 10 minutes of work their time back. 

I'm certain this implementation is the lowest cost solution, as they are trying to stretch their meager income.  I am grateful to have a way to recycle.  I was hoping for a way to recycle unwanted honeycomb back to pure, also.

Edited by Frank2

13 hours ago, Cergorach said:

This is imho mostly a pvp boost, as many pirates are sitting on oodles of damaged ships/components they'll never fly themselves. This way, pirating isn't a total waste of time, even if you have to thoroughly shoot a ship... It is clunky as F, but better then nothing!

We would have liked to be able to also stack the different destroyed elements.

We could have made a market for second-hand parts by selling items with 1 or 2 lives at half price.

But unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.

The idea was good and could be solid, full element, get all items, damaged element, get partial items. No idea why only partial items are given for full health elements, That way i have no reason to actually use this except on useless shit i get from scavenging like cables.

Biggest problem I have with it is if I recycle an element then I have to manually place another one in the same location.  I can replace the element with a new one instead, but then it doesn't get recycled.

Really I want a 'replace and recycle' type of operation which will allow me to recycle dead elements on my ship without having to become a ship builder and place lots of elements by hand.

NQ's law in action again.

Man the skill it must have taken to add this recycling feature in.  I see why its taken 2 months to add content to the game.  Cannot wait for AVA combat to be added in soon. I mean if all you have to do is right click another player an select PVP. Should not be hard to rng a 0 or 1 from that and proclaim a winner.  I mean what 3 or 4 months to add in those couple lines of code?  Great work NQ, theres your positive feedback. 

I just repaired a crashed ship using replace with recycle. Two clicks for each element was a bit annoying but not nearly as bad as holding down the the LMB for 10 minutes per element to repair them. And I was able to sell some parts to help with the cost. It's certainly an adequate first implementation.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:23 PM, Mncdk1 said:

The implementation we're going to get of recycling, seems to be - at the same time - both the laziest implementation they could have done, and also, a needlessly complicated implementation.

This is a well known trademark for NQ development.

I was hoping on getting a percentage of the Ore cost back (25% or so).

Getting a random product back is a really terrible refund. After re-setting up my industry I always struggle to get the'old factory' products back into the productionline of my new factory.

Now I am getting random products back and it is becomming a day job to put them back into my production lines :) LOL. I rather delete them then then have another tedious job to do.

The recycling could have been:

- Industry recycler with input and output container

- Start recycling, takes some time ....

- Output is random ore (one or more ores that was required in the original production process) and then a percentage of the original value.

- Create talents on the industry time and output generated.

Then you can also start trading and selling broken elements as well to people who are talented recyclers :).

For scavangers this is a nice reward as well.

2 hours ago, Verliezer said:

For scavangers this is a nice reward as well.

I beg to differ.  I came across a wreck and attempted to recycle it.  It is at least 3 times faster up-front to trash broken parts with Alt-click in build mode and trying to find all the spots in a factory to sort the parts into use is a nightmare.  If there were a market for parts there might be a silver lining here, but for the same reason I don't want to pick up the parts there's not much call to buy/sell/trade the parts either.  You would have to design your factory around constant import of parts for this to be of ANY value.  The implementation of recycling was the final nail in the coffin for my copium as well as my (misplaced) confidence that NQ can even keep the game functionally playable for another year even if funding were not a factor.  Add in all the features still in the vision that will clearly drive off the players who do anything other than PvP...  Let's just say I'm only still here because of what little community is left [self-redacted to avoid immediate ban].

Edited by Wyndle
[self-redacted to avoid immediate ban]

2 hours ago, Wyndle said:

I beg to differ.  I came across a wreck and attempted to recycle it.  It is at least 3 times faster up-front to trash broken parts with Alt-click in build mode and trying to find all the spots in a factory to sort the parts into use is a nightmare.  If there were a market for parts there might be a silver lining here, but for the same reason I don't want to pick up the parts there's not much call to buy/sell/trade the parts either.  You would have to design your factory around constant import of parts for this to be of ANY value.  The implementation of recycling was the final nail in the coffin for my copium as well as my (misplaced) confidence that NQ can even keep the game functionally playable for another year even if funding were not a factor.  Add in all the features still in the vision that will clearly drive off the players who do anything other than PvP...  Let's just say I'm only still here because of what little community is left [self-redacted to avoid immediate ban].

Sry I was referring to the "How the recycling could have being implemented" and not how it IS implemented. We do agree on the same :) 

On 11/30/2022 at 3:40 AM, Daphne Jones said:

I just repaired a crashed ship using replace with recycle. Two clicks for each element was a bit annoying but not nearly as bad as holding down the the LMB for 10 minutes per element to repair them. And I was able to sell some parts to help with the cost. It's certainly an adequate first implementation.

so there IS a replace and recycle function in the game?

It would indeed be ridiculously annoying after a total MP6 wipeout if you had to manually replace broken parts in a build and then manually recycle each item, one at a time. 

there’s no way NQ would implement something as half-arsed as that, surely, after months of waiting for any new features to emerge. 

will check the recycle tool when I next play. 

4 hours ago, Jinxed said:

so there IS a replace and recycle function in the game?

It would indeed be ridiculously annoying after a total MP6 wipeout if you had to manually replace broken parts in a build and then manually recycle each item, one at a time. 

there’s no way NQ would implement something as half-arsed as that, surely, after months of waiting for any new features to emerge. 

will check the recycle tool when I next play. 

The regular replace element (RMB->Advanced->Replace) also recycles the replaced element. Nothing in the UI prompts tells you that, but it does happen.

5 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

The regular replace element (RMB->Advanced->Replace) also recycles the replaced element. Nothing in the UI prompts tells you that, but it does happen.

Awesome, I'll try it out the next time my Albatross HUD lags the fk out and I tank my ship into a Thades cliff at 700kph... ahem....