Mining unit fiasco

choxie

DU, we're all here because we love you, and we want you to get better.

I, like many leaders of small orgs or solo players, were hit very hard by the mining unit changes. We had just secured enough T2 and 3 burn-tiles to supply us with what we need, sell the rest, buy what we don't have, and craft t2 and 3 elements to participate in the economy. All of that was immediately pulled out from underneath us with the removal of "calibration mining".

I haven't played since, but I have been lurking and watching the progress of the game. It seems the removal of bot buy-orders was even more ruinous, which makes sense as I know not everyone relies on mining units.

The thing is, more players with access to 2s and 3s is not a bad thing, and in fact is a sync in its own way: It takes exponentially more T1s to crafter higher tier stuff, essentially allowing T1s to retain their value even in a market with no shortage of T2+ rocks.

I thinking mining unit gameplay is actually kind of fun, I appreciate the combination of active-resources you can get from burning charges and the reliability of its passivity. I have no problems keeping my account active just to log in every 4 days and keep my MUs up, doing large market runs once that big hauler fills up.

At the moment, there is no reason to build a ship larger than a S core market hopper, to say nothing of the pvp meta.

All of this is to say that calibration mining should come back in some form, but the idea is to provide an individual player with just a few thousand (instead of 2-3k per charge) higher tier ore in a single "outing", allowing them to get involved in higher tier markets, either by safely selling them or starting their own small industry. (I personally just run a couple of assembly lines, no massive mega factories. Just enough to print some lights and screens and L engines, the stuff my orgmates and myself use the most. The idea was to eventually start crafting warp cells so we can easily get to our other resource spots on other planets, creating a gameplay loop for ourselves. It's all impossible at the moment.)

Add another button to the mining units. A "burn charge" option. It can deposit the smallest amount of surface rocks possible, like the amount of a 40% calibration with no battery. You can even deposit them directly into a box so we can't benefit from surface-harvest talents (which would kinda suck because the synergy of the mining talents is very satisfying at the moment) It also doesn't even have to be instant, maybe taking a minute or two. But no cooldown. Maybe talents to reduce the time, just spitballin' here.

It would also be very interesting and provide for some fun times if this "calibration-mining" system could be used on dynamic constructs, and maybe even in space. Another mini-game (or not, people seem split on the current ones) that can spend a calibration charge to spawn/locate a small rock in space that you mine with the mining tool instead of the surface harvester. Some system can be used to pinpoint specific ores, and certain ores can only be found in certain parts of space/around certain planets (in pve space, please)

Either way, the market is crashing for a number of reasons, but the sudden removal of access to materials for smaller groups and "casual/average" players is among the most disastrous. Calibration mining needs to return in some form, even if it is significantly less lucrative than asteroid mining, it should be a way for players to sustain themselves.

Well thought over post, there should have been indeed a possibility that does not limit as much as the current system, simply because the callibration charges themselves should be the limiting factor, if the %calibrated per MU would be data stored and over 100% calibration is no longer possible that alone would have been a better solution as what we have now. But there are loads of better solutions. Frankly taking this down and ore market bots but keeping NPC missions in the air is just a notification at the wall that shouts exploit missions even more. we can clearly see who actually has the power in NQ

This game is a constant struggle to make ends meet. If you want to partake of anything you have to put in a decent amount of EFFORT.

I was under the impression this was supposed to be a game. 

Orders for T2 parts has dried up on Thades as the few people living here complete their factories and now we’re stuck for income.