It is clear to see they are trying to further kill off the game (heres why and the choices they have to improve or further kill the game) PVP/PVE game play

Snow

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

Call in an morbid fascination if you will..

I honestly percieve its more like societal research (bit cruel one).

How population behave under stress of being exposed to both chronical and new problems, who leaves, who stays, how people change their position (openly admiting their mistakes or sneaking around), who keep hardline stance with their old ideas to the last, etc, what kinds of coping narratives dominate.

I noticed, maybe, wrongly (because i given up on DU Discord), that old one of "give NQ some time", transformed more to "enjoy what game is". Probably considering time already given since 2016 this trusty thing to say lost quite a lot of shine.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:55 PM, CptLoRes said:

Yeah.. It's hard to justify the "this is still beta, they will fix it later" argument, when the game is arguably even worse now in release.

I think I mentioned this somewhere before, but after Squenix decided to mulligan FF14, the producer/director in charge of the successful rebuild commented about the early project's failures in a postmortem. 

Three main issues were identified: 

an over-emphasis on graphical quality, a lack of modern MMORPG expertise in the development team, and a mentality that all problems could be fixed in future patches.

NQ certainly fits the latter two like a glove -- team members with actual MMO experience are either not in leadership roles or moved on a long long time ago. 

Their insistence that they can patch the game into health post-release was similarly naive and arrogant...they wouldn't have fallen into such a trap if more of their leadership had experience with MMOs. 

Hell, maybe they'd have realized the flaw with that sort of thinking if their leadership had experience with large projects in general, but that isn't the case. 

Again, the CTO's only non-internship job is working at NQ. The design lead's last job as a designer was a Trivial Pursuit game adaptation that's so bad it isn't even on the mobile stores anymore.

I'm not seeing that these are "bad" or incompetent people, I have no clue about their competence nor does it really matter...the point is that NQ's decision to make these people leaders is puzzling.

Experience really matters, especially for a product where you don't have another shot at a release.  

2 hours ago, blundertwink said:

I'm not seeing that these are "bad" or incompetent people, I have no clue about their competence nor does it really matter...the point is that NQ's decision to make these people leaders is puzzling.

Nor would I say it of any individual, but the team/company as a whole?  Struggling to reach a D-.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:47 PM, blundertwink said:

Again, the CTO's only non-internship job is working at NQ. The design lead's last job as a designer was a Trivial Pursuit game adaptation that's so bad it isn't even on the mobile stores anymore.

total speculation putting two and two together here, but remember that one of the factors when Zimbabwe collapsed was that Mugabe put people he knew in positions of power, not because of their skill sets but literally just because he knew them. 

There is also the matter of many people having left the company including key dev personal leading to brain drain.

And I don't think NQ has either the financials or reputation to attract any experienced talents. Just look at how short a time Hrafnkell Oskarsson was at the company before leaving again.

So having a lead position at NQ today may simply be the result of being what is left of the original crew aka "last person standing".

I suspect NQs workforce historicly being bit on dodgy side.

This why they opened (despite obvious financial liability and little other reasons) Montreal office -- to try to poach some people from rather lively local gamedev market. Because it was more realistic, then have people relocated to Paris for NQ.

4 hours ago, Jinxed said:

total speculation putting two and two together here, but remember that one of the factors when Zimbabwe collapsed was that Mugabe put people he knew in positions of power, not because of their skill sets but literally just because he knew them. 

And finally we have (effectively) achieved Goodwin's Law in this thread.