mining changes are broken.

EvilestOverlord

So I see you fixed the exploits with the mining units.  However I have found a problem.  If you exit out of a calibration with out finishing it  the unit resets to zero productivity.  However the available tile resources do not reset to reflect the zero productivity.  I have a tile with 20 coal production, under current system I have to start the unit before calibrating(good solution to the exploit) .  The unit was running at the time of the fix.  it was drawing 20 per cycle when this happened.  I went to recalibrate and see the changes, as part of my process change I tried exiting before final calibration which would not give me any resources on the surface and would not recalibrate the unit fully.  The results are I got zero productivity.  This means I should have 20 units in the resource pool to calibrate another unit.  However it still showed zero available.  Is this intended functionality?

Please let me know.

That is intended behavior. Your territory resource pool is decreased whenever you press start on a mining unit and will remain as such until the unit is stopped manually or the calibration percentage drops to zero. This prevents players from exceeding the specified base extraction rates listed in the territory pool. The new change simply requires units to be running before applying calibrations and prevents stopping said units for 24 hours post calibration.

A new on deploy warning message was added to help notify players of all this but you would not have seen it since your unit was already setup. Here is said message.

image.png.aa5fe2e09c435dc7496950311a5dd0bb.png

If anything is still unclear then I would be more than happy to elaborate further but if you are looking to comment on the recent changes I recommend you instead post it here as that seems to have become the main feedback thread.

I have no issue with the hex resource limit NOT being exceeded.  I think the resource reduction is in the wrong part of the process.   If someone does a calibration to set the resource reduction value due to production, that makes total sense for the point you get the surface pay off and the value being set.  That should be the trigger for everything happening.   But it really does not make sense that  canceling a calibration and giving you a zero resource production should reduce the amount STILL reducing the production value of the hex.  you get no pay off of surface product, and you get a big fat zero  production for a 24 hour period.   Further you get a automatic resource production max on top of the lose of production, and  the use of the charge.  If a calibration is canceled for any reason, it should reset the mining unit to zero and turn it off to reset.  Of course you would use up a calibration charge.  

Does that all make sense?

Canceling the calibration procedure without selecting a final calibration point applies your base calibration gain (as seen in the top right corner of the calibration UI) to said mining unit. This results in it beginning to produce ore as per normal operation. While it is true you will not get any surface ore, as long as you have a container linked you should receive the the amount listed under production rate and it will always be non-zero after a calibration. The only exception would be if your base extraction rate multiplied by your calibration gain comes to less than 1 L/h. In that case you would need to continue to calibrate said unit and raise the calibration percentage to the point where you meet this threshold.

Ah, well I was getting zero base production and having all the resources drained from the resource pool from the  hex  I will check the units to make sure it is not a second unit that I did not recalibrate, but I am pretty certain I only had one unit producing coal in the hex.  If it is the only one in the hex, I found a bug.  But before I go there I will check and be sure there are no other units producing.  I am using Miner S's 

3 hours ago, Msoul said:

That is intended behavior. Your territory resource pool is decreased whenever you press start on a mining unit and will remain as such until the unit is stopped manually or the calibration percentage drops to zero. This prevents players from exceeding the specified base extraction rates listed in the territory pool. The new change simply requires units to be running before applying calibrations and prevents stopping said units for 24 hours post calibration.

A new on deploy warning message was added to help notify players of all this but you would not have seen it since your unit was already setup. Here is said message.

image.png.aa5fe2e09c435dc7496950311a5dd0bb.png

If anything is still unclear then I would be more than happy to elaborate further but if you are looking to comment on the recent changes I recommend you instead post it here as that seems to have become the main feedback thread.

Thanks for the detail Msoul. Answers some questions I had, from just reading the patch notes. Why NQ couldn't phrase it this clearly, I don't know. It's like they expected everyone to be deploying MUs...

On 11/18/2022 at 11:02 AM, Kezzle said:

Thanks for the detail Msoul. Answers some questions I had, from just reading the patch notes. Why NQ couldn't phrase it this clearly, I don't know. It's like they expected everyone to be deploying MUs...

There is a theory, that the core developers are natively French(because they are), and that their is a inherent communication breakdown on some level for technical aspects of the game, and their explanations on how they work.

1. Core developer writes code, describes it in detail in French, and or broken English of how it ACTUALLY works in technical speak.
2. That explanation gets re-written by someone else not familiar with what the code does vs design spec explanation the dev was given... when compiling features/changes from multiple developers.
3. Person that writes the localization for English/patch notes, re-writes the explanation again in English for publication... or they don't have a person on staff responsible for this.

Somewhere down the line there was a communication breakdown in the game of telephone. 

2 hours ago, NotReally ApheIia said:

There is a theory, that the core developers are natively French(because they are), and that their is a inherent communication breakdown on some level for technical aspects of the game, and their explanations on how they work.

That's possibly a contributing factor. They really need to get a native English speaker to fiddle with the changes and write the patch notes a bit more comprehensively, if that's the case. In this particular instance, I think it was more an overstriving for brevity that left out the details. Perhaps they simply relied on faulty assumptions about how people would encounter the new implementation in-game as well; it's better explained when you first deploy an MU, but people who were just maintaining a running setup wouldn't get the full story until they changed what they were doing.

Well when NQ tries to fix a non-issue that works perfect and is acknoledged By NQ that it is intended use and thus a feature: You get this.

Just one word. Schematics.

Another tip, dont waste cash here till the planets are back or planetary warfare