Auto-Balance missions

W1zard

Make missions reward dynamic.

E.g. lower the reward for specific mission for everyone, when someone delivered it, and make the reward grow slowly by time when no one does them. Also with this you can remove the hard cap of 1 package per account to make big hauls accessible by everyone.

They will balance themselves out very quickly this way.

I'm not sure if you think nobody is doing missions, or if you think too many people are doing missions, but this doesn't seem like a great idea either way. Missions of all sizes require a degree of efficiency to be profitable (or very profitable), but a good number of people do run them and make money off of them. If the price were to fluctuate as suggested then you'd risk either running off all but the most efficient haulers, or pushing too much quanta in to the game and causing some rather significant inflation that could hurt the ability of players that prefer to make quanta in other ways to buy things.

Also, there isn't a 1-package per account cap, there's a "you can't run the same mission more than once at a time" cap because when they let people run the same mission several times simultaneously (even via alts or as an org), the result is mission-runners flooding the game with quanta and destroying the market by making things too expensive for everyone else (or doing stupid things, like claiming every single territory on an entire moon again). You can take as many different missions simultaneously as you like, and they are in fact very accessible to anyone with a big enough hold and enough thrust to get them out of gravity.

8 hours ago, Taelessael said:

I'm not sure if you think nobody is doing missions, or if you think too many people are doing missions

Current mission system is pretty low profit for solo players for very long and boring afk gameplay, while it's a huge quanta generator for people with 50+ alts

8 hours ago, Taelessael said:

there's a "you can't run the same mission more than once at a time" cap because when they let people run the same mission several times simultaneously (even via alts or as an org), the result is mission-runners flooding the game with quanta and destroying the market by making things too expensive for everyone else

This is exactly what is happening right now with people running 50+ missions with alts.

My idea is to make mission not dependent on alts at all, while making the system balanced for everyone.

On 11/18/2022 at 5:34 AM, W1zard said:

Current mission system is pretty low profit for solo players for very long and boring afk gameplay, while it's a huge quanta generator for people with 50+ alts

It seems to make a nice enough amount of quanta for my solo self. Six mil while I sleep and another 6 mil while I'm at work each day adds up to a fair chunk of change.

Also, if your going to compare your profits to the one or two whales willing to blow the better part of a grand on a game every month, odds are you will never appear even vaguely competitive. 

<div style=sarcasm>

A more realistic solution is to make it harder for the whale to use their alts, such as by placing a limit to how many packages can be loaded on to one ship so that our theoretical whale would need 1 ship per alt (which would slow them down for about a week while they got their hands on 50 ships with auto-pilot, and the irl hardware suitable to run he game 50 times simultaneously). For the week after that we put a cap on how many times a given mission can be run by the entire population of DU, and then finally on the third week we just delete the mission system and auto-miners all together after realizing that any the ability to make quanta afk will allow those small handful of whales that exist and are willing to blow a silly amount of cash on a game to easily make more quanta than other people.
</div>

Anyways, letting all mission-runners pretend to be whales wont balance the game, it will just ruin the economy with inflation. Pay to win is annoying, but if the whales are willing to blow that kind of cash on a game then I'd rather see them paying it to NQ (who will make our game better) then to mmo-gold-farmers, because the only way to stop them from whaling DU is to close the game down.

On 11/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, Taelessael said:

if the whales are willing to blow that kind of cash on a game

I think you don't see full pictures here.
Mission runners who do mission with 50 alts don't pay for their alts with real money.
They buy DACs from other players for quanta, increasing their overall alt army, and making even more quanta progressively.
Everyone can do that with an investment for about 300 mil quanta. That's not a very large amount.
And the amount of quanta you can generate that way if absolutely absurd, that's hunders of millions daily.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:02 PM, W1zard said:

I think you don't see full pictures here.
Mission runners who do mission with 50 alts don't pay for their alts with real money.
They buy DACs from other players for quanta, increasing their overall alt army, and making even more quanta progressively.
Everyone can do that with an investment for about 300 mil quanta. That's not a very large amount.
And the amount of quanta you can generate that way if absolutely absurd, that's hunders of millions daily.

Ah, I see, you're afraid someone will snowball mission-money in to DAC from whales for mission-alts. I understand why you'd be worried about that, and frankly I'd be more surprised if it didn't get attempted, but ultimately it does run in to just a few problems...

There are an assortment of issues that do put a cap on such forms of alt-ing, it is unfortunately not as small a cap as I'd like it to be, and it is very fortunately smaller than you think it is, but honestly we can just ignore all of those because at the end of the day there's really only one point that matters:  What you are proposing would quickly result in runaway inflation, as the sudden influx of quanta would quickly devalue all pre-existing quanta, as well as everything tied to it. This would destroy the market for nearly everything, render things like tile-taxes meaningless, and quite possibly flood the universe with anything that can be made from the subsequently worthless UEF-ship-parts.

Trying to balance out a few people having more money than they should by giving even more people more money than they should have is like trying to extinguish a fire by throwing gasoline on it, you'd only be making things worse.