I'm going against my own advice...

GraXXoR

... and actually suggesting a feature, which I know is about as likely as an immaculate conception ocurring in 2022, but here goes:

For the love of all the gods, please grant us an EYE DROPPER tool when building... I want to be able to point at something and press a key and have that material or that element selected automatically.

Currently, in typical NQ fashion we have to mouse over, wait for the material or element name to pop up to see what it is exactly, open our inventory and type in some long winded descriptive name, double click on it in our inventory (if we spelt it right) and press escape to close the inventory.

Imagine mousing over a material and pressing "." or "," to immediately having it selected from your active inventory!!!   Alas, this is really super-high level programming so it will likely never arrive...

And while you're at it, please give us a VOXEL NUDGE tool, like we have with elements... Select some voxels and nudge them in an XYZ direction without cutting them first... I hate having to cut something only to have to spend 30 seconds trying to align it again when our XYZ keys are seemingly chosen at random.

3 hours ago, Yoarii said:

Press H :)

So now I have to mouse over it , press H to see what it is exactly, open my inventory and type in some long winded descriptive name, double click on it in my inventory (if I spelt it right) and press escape to close the inventory.

Wow, that's so much better... 😉 

6 hours ago, Jinxed said:

I hate having to cut something only to have to spend 30 seconds trying to align it again when our XYZ keys are seemingly chosen at random.

Your x,y,z keys for voxel chunk manipulation are emphatically not random... They dependably depend upon what surface your target reticel is "raycasting".

On 11/11/2022 at 10:27 PM, Kezzle said:

Your x,y,z keys for voxel chunk manipulation are emphatically not random... They dependably depend upon what surface your target reticel is "raycasting".

Yup, I knew this would happen as soon as I clicked send, and was waiting for this exact comment. This is the DU forums after all...
I knew someone would be right there to purposefully ignore the message by focusing on the minutiae...

Hence I used the word "Seemingly" ...

Yes, the axes are not actually random but are instead based upon precise orientation of the surface upon which your mouse pointer resides at the time when you first press a direction key after cutting the voxels.

However, I stand by my original statement of "seemingly" random. It can still be confusing when you are trying to manipulate a chunk of voxels in a tight space and have to change your own orientation beyond the 45 degree line which swaps two of the axes.

but thanks for pointing it out... emphatically... 

An eye dropper tool would be incredibly useful.  I would love to have it.

I usually copy a single voxel, or a chunk of voxels, of the material i want to use, and then paste without dominance, to use it as a sort of paintbrush.  Saves the step of actually equipping the material. 

Not to derail the thread too much.  But what i would REALLY like, is for Honeycomb to be simplified into just the basic materials.  So when you want to use Steel Honeycomb for example, you would just equip "Steel Honeycomb" and then choose a color/pattern from a palette, and then deploy it.  And when you delete it, you get back the same base honeycomb material.  That way i wouldn't have to store 5000 different types of honeycomb.

I know NQ has mentioned that they would like to do this.  But i really hope they make it a priority.

It would make Blueprints much easier to deploy.

It would encourage players to experiment with more of the available colors and patterns.

And i think most importantly it would make the base Honeycomb materials into a commodity that could actually be bought and sold successfully on the markets.

3 hours ago, Jinxed said:

Yup, I knew this would happen as soon as I clicked send, and was waiting for this exact comment. This is the DU forums after all...
I knew someone would be right there to purposefully ignore the message and instead try to score points by focusing on the minutiae...

sigh.... I am quite aware that the axes are not actually random but are instead based upon precise orientation of the surface upon which your mouse pointer resides at the time when you first press a direction key after cutting the voxels. It can still be confusing when you are trying to manipulate a chunk of voxels in a tight space and have to change orientation beyond the 45 degree line that shifts the axes.

but thanks for pointing it out... emphatically... PMSL. really...

Every time I do any cutting and pasting, or putting down elements for that matter, I always end up trying the different keys one by one.  Whatever way it goes I never seem to get the right way first time, it's always move, move back, move another way, move back and then get the right one (or perhaps try the first one again and get confused or whatever).  I know there is a logic to it but after playing the game since alpha and building multi-L-core things using cut and paste it still isn't intuitive for me and I get it wrong nearly every time.

3 hours ago, Jinxed said:

I knew someone would be right there to purposefully ignore the message and instead try to score points by focusing on the minutiae...

sigh.... I am quite aware that the axes are not actually random but are instead based upon precise orientation of the surface upon which your mouse pointer resides at the time when you first press a direction key after cutting the voxels. It can still be confusing when you are trying to manipulate a chunk of voxels in a tight space and have to change orientation beyond the 45 degree line that shifts the axes.

but thanks for pointing it out... emphatically... PMSL. really...

Well pardon me for trying to help.

Nice reaction. Good projection of your own motives onto others. Lovely.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:45 AM, Kezzle said:

Well pardon me for trying to help.

Nice reaction. Good projection of your own motives onto others. Lovely.

Projection, one of those buzzwords you’ve seen people try and use recently on t’ intertubes... 

On 11/12/2022 at 2:34 AM, Zeddrick said:

Every time I do any cutting and pasting, or putting down elements for that matter, I always end up trying the different keys one by one.  Whatever way it goes I never seem to get the right way first time, it's always move, move back, move another way, move back and then get the right one (or perhaps try the first one again and get confused or whatever).  I know there is a logic to it but after playing the game since alpha and building multi-L-core things using cut and paste it still isn't intuitive for me and I get it wrong nearly every time.

Pretty much sums up the last five years of my experience... As @Kezzle correctly pointed out above (on whom I'm sorry that I vented my frustration),  I get logically that PGUP and PGDN shifts the voxels perpendicular to the surface but as soon as I think about the placement rather than the controls, I pretty much lose all sense of control and end up mashing the keys randomly until I find the axis I'm looking for...

Repeat this 100 times for larger cuts and pastes and it's an exercise in frustration. I much prefer the way the precision voxel tool XYZ works.... Page Up and Page Down are always on the Z axis. It means we only have to juggle two axes. up is "away" from you, down is "toward" you, left and right do pretty much what they say on the can. I find I'm rarely confused by it.

A voxel nudge tool using the same vertex nudge logic would be wonderful.

@Kezzle  My apologies for being a bit of a Tracy earlier on; my personal frustrations at the game should stay pointed at the game, not at other supporters. I'm really sorry!!!!