I'll just leave this here (from Reddit):

Megabosslord

29 minutes ago, Wyndle said:

But could they release only the space version of XL and not get slaughtered in "where's my *" backlash?

Well they've only given us Space XL engines, not Atmo, so... maybe?

OP is very nice and all but I suspect it was not written by an engineer working for NQ, so they have likely about as much knowledge of the backend as we do. And is thus 100% conjecture, speculation and armchair developing, just like much of this forum tends to be (me included). 

NQ stated that XL cores will not be coming. Heck, they didn’t even say “not at release (TM)”. instead they said that there are technical reasons why the engine doesn’t support them well.

They never mentioned anything about planetary surface load being the reason why XL cores don’t work.

19 hours ago, Wyndle said:

But could they release only the space version of XL and not get slaughtered in "where's my *" backlash?

vs. the generic backlash of 'where's my XL cores' in general?

Nah, what's happening is that NQ is trying to space out 'content' like it's precious gems, but they are doing it so extremely slow that chances are good that the really dedicated folks might hit hard limits (set by NQ) and just leave. No ranting on the forum or Reddit (as that has no effect on NQ direction/choices), just POOF(tm) gone...

I would also argue that in the case of XL space cores, I doubt that any org has hit the hard limits on L space cores quite yet (1600+ with max skills, you can already have in game). No, the issue is not the max amount of cores, but that each XL core is 8 L cores, that just means that folks need a lot less toons to get the same size space station... Less toons means less subscripts for alts...

The presence of XL sized static cores on the market disproves any claims that there could be any problems with them. They stand in the markets (on the same 6th Aliot market).
They just don't want to. One of the reasons is that some people will start to industry on XL cores. Apparently that's what they don't like.
With dynamic cores, yes, there may be problems due to the fact that the calculation of zones is configured in this way. On the other hand, after the debility speed nerf for large ships, even L dynamic cores are not really needed...

1 hour ago, ColonkinYT said:

The presence of XL sized static cores on the market disproves any claims that there could be any problems with them.

So a small number of exceptions now disproves all claims of something being a problem?  If anything it proves they have attempted to make it happen before saying they couldn't get it to work well enough to give to us.

1 hour ago, Wyndle said:

So a small number of exceptions now disproves all claims of something being a problem?  If anything it proves they have attempted to make it happen before saying they couldn't get it to work well enough to give to us.

Oh yeah. This is a very handy phrase that fits everything in the world. Is not it?
Hell. Let's see the launch! Maybe they shouldn't have done it if they couldn't give us a GOOD WORKING GAME? With the normal accrual of rewards for packages. A month has already passed and my STU is not on the horizon yet.
So maybe it was not worth prematurely releasing if:
the planets are not ready (by the way, the end of October has come and where are our 3 planets?), 

cc935b11-e1ea-4355-b063-92777defef8f_Sys

And I will remind the phases. Although that road map has already been hidden.

End of October: Phase 02 (Sinnen, Sicari, Talemai)

End of November: Phase 03 (Simeon, Ion)

End of December: Phase 04 (Lacobus, Feli)

mechanics are not ready,
charges are not ready.
In this section, at least something can be done normally?
Or is it different? And also an exception?
Let's not justify unwillingness with impossibility.
We all make mistakes. I don't see anything wrong, to admit that I was wrong. And do it right. But this is not the NQ way.
I do not deny that there may be quite objective reasons for not giving us XL cores. For example, unwillingness (in terms of server load) for someone to place 10 thousand machines there. Because inside one such core you can do a lot and transfer details without human intervention.
It's too common and too easy to say "we can't give you this that works properly...".

I have already accepted a lot for myself regarding this game and these developers.
I just won't renew my subscription after it ends. I will keep all my DACs and will not use them until they take a step towards the players.
It looks like NQ understands only one language - the language of money.

And yes. We are not talking about simple girls and guys who write code, support the forum and discord. Solve player problems. To all these people - a huge thank you and low bow.
It's about who makes the decisions.

6 hours ago, ColonkinYT said:

The presence of XL sized static cores on the market disproves any claims that there could be any problems with them. They stand in the markets (on the same 6th Aliot market).
They just don't want to. One of the reasons is that some people will start to industry on XL cores. Apparently that's what they don't like.
With dynamic cores, yes, there may be problems due to the fact that the calculation of zones is configured in this way. On the other hand, after the debility speed nerf for large ships, even L dynamic cores are not really needed...

Again… someone talking as if they have insider knowledge as to how the engine of this game actually works.

Come on man! How do you actually know that “This disproves any claims that there could be any problems with them.”

How can you honestly know that?

I’m not saying you’re wrong I’m just saying you don’t actually know that this is the case. And this is purely conjecture. And stating conjecture is fact is just one small step short of lying, at best, it’s disingenuous.

Could well be that technically it’s possible to display XL cores but that the current tools don’t work or would have to be reprogrammed in order to function with an XL core of over 1000 voxels per side. Who knows?

Could well be that the developers use developer only tools to create those XL cores or maybe use the tool to consolidate eight L cores into one XL core To simplify deployment.

Whatever, though, that’s 1 billion potential Voxels in a full XL core… maybe that’s just too big for the tools to handle and maybe the XL cores here are designed with that in mind and the people who made those XL cores have limited the Voxel craft in order not to overload the system. We just don’t know.

See my post is also just pure speculation. There’s just no point Trying to have a discussion when neither of us actually *knows* anything about how this game actually runs..

We just simply don’t know.

The only fact is that NQ said they’re not going to release XL cores and that it is not feasible given the current State of the game. That is all we know

It’s the sheer hubris of presenting speculation as fact like this that causes so many problems online in pretty much every field or every endeavour of communication.

28 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

Again… someone talking as if they have insider knowledge as to how the engine of this game actually works.

Come on man! How do you actually know that “This disproves any claims that there could be any problems with them.”

How can you honestly know that?

I’m not saying you’re wrong I’m just saying you don’t actually know that this is the case. And this is purely conjecture. And stating conjecture is fact is just one small step short of lying, at best, it’s disingenuous.

Could well be that technically it’s possible to display XL cores but that the current tools don’t work or would have to be reprogrammed in order to function with an XL core of over 1000 voxels per side. Who knows?

Could well be that the developers use developer only tools to create those XL cores or maybe use the tool to consolidate eight L cores into one XL core To simplify deployment.

Whatever, though, that’s 1 billion potential Voxels in a full XL core… maybe that’s just too big for the tools to handle and maybe the XL cores here are designed with that in mind and the people who made those XL cores have limited the Voxel craft in order not to overload the system. We just don’t know.

See my post is also just pure speculation. There’s just no point Trying to have a discussion when neither of us actually *knows* anything about how this game actually runs..

We just simply don’t know.

The only fact is that NQ said they’re not going to release XL cores and that it is not feasible given the current State of the game. That is all we know

It’s the sheer hubris of presenting speculation as fact like this that causes so many problems online in pretty much every field or every endeavour of communication.

So I just rely on the fact. The fact that these cores are in the public domain (we see them). The game engine processes them (there are no problems for players with falling through, displaying, etc.). All.
Everything else, as you correctly noted, is speculation. Including yours. And they look like an attempt to justify why this is not possible (just kidding).

😉

Just because NQ uses XL cores for markets doesn't mean it's a good idea to open it up to players where they can stack lots of them in the same area. There's enough performance issues as it is. But if they introduced XL for space cores only and could limit how many you could deploy in the same area, maybe that would work.

24 minutes ago, ColonkinYT said:

So I just rely on the fact. The fact that these cores are in the public domain (we see them). The game engine processes them (there are no problems for players with falling through, displaying, etc.). All.
Everything else, as you correctly noted, is speculation. Including yours. And they look like an attempt to justify why this is not possible (just kidding).

😉

The problem is when NQ has access to something, and they do something with it that breaks the game.  They can simply stop doing it.

When they give us access to something.  We're supposed to be able to do whatever we want with it.

Giving us access to something like XL cores, prematurely, might end up with all kinds of unpleasant rules needing to be hard coded into the game.  More limits on what can be built on a core, like increasing voxel complexity limits.  They could be forced to lower the number of elements that can be placed on a core.  Or decrease how many constructs can be loaded at one time.

Those are all things that they are already balancing to make the game as fun, and as functional as possible.

Would XL cores be worth it, if they also required a bunch of other sacrifices to make them work?

2 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

well maybe its not cancelled yet but postponed, its one of the kickstarter things

there are a lot of “cool ideas” that were considered early on that just don’t make sense in the context of the game we have now.   

You can already fully automate that process.  The only thing that you would need to do manually is link to the final container and then deploy each BP.  

would automating that final step improve the game at all?

or was it just a cool sounding idea that doesn’t really make sense to pursue any further? 

29 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

You can already fully automate that process.

You can? Put a BP in a container (or sumfink) and the factory configures itself to build the right elements and voxels to deploy the ship once it's all collected together in the output?

3 hours ago, Kezzle said:

You can? Put a BP in a container (or sumfink) and the factory configures itself to build the right elements and voxels to deploy the ship once it's all collected together in the output?

No, you would have to design and build the factory yourself.  That's kind of the whole point though, isn't it? That's the fun part, for some people at least.

You could build a factory that would continually produce everything needed to build a specific ship.  And use transfer units to put all the right parts and honeycomb into one container.  Then all you would need to do is link to that container and deploy a ship, whenever you wanted one.

The only part of the process that can't be automated is basically clicking somewhere in the game to tell it where you want to put each ship.

I can't really imagine how that last step would be automated anyway.  Although the idea of ships just piling up at the end of a conveyor belt does sound funny.

5 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

No, you would have to design and build the factory yourself.  That's kind of the whole point though, isn't it? That's the fun part, for some people at least.

OK, understood. I was thinking it'd be superfun to design a factory that had the capacity to self-adjust, So one day it's building basic speeders and the next (month or so) it's churning out an L core Battleship. Big Fun for an Industrialist, easy life for others. :)

You could build a factory that would continually produce everything needed to build a specific ship.  And use transfer units to put all the right parts and honeycomb into one container.  Then all you would need to do is link to that container and deploy a ship, whenever you wanted one.

Yeah. That's "almost" trivial. Just a matter of counting. Commonplace, nowadays.

The only part of the process that can't be automated is [deploying the bloop]...

I can't really imagine how that last step would be automated anyway.  Although the idea of ships just piling up at the end of a conveyor belt does sound funny.

Yup. That'd be hilarious! "Who forgot to turn off the fighter line?!" :)