Mining Units / Ore Pools

Hirnsausen

Dear NQ, my feeling is, that the full version of the game has reduced the amount of ore available in the various ore pools too much. I was satisfied with the ore amounts of the ore pools during the BETA phase of this game, and I could settle with an ore amount that is somewhere near the middle between BETA and now.

Dear DU players, what do you think about the ore amounts now? Feedback needed.

Edited by Hirnsausen

With the current server population I think it is okay. Natron is the only T2 that is truly scarce in the safe zone. But in the future all the T2+ tiles in safe zone might be claimed with no opportunity for new players. Rotating ore pools would be the only way around that even though it's not realistic and a bit cheesy.

On 10/31/2022 at 12:50 AM, W1zard said:

Personally, I think even with current pools it's still to much t3-5 ore generated out of nowhere.

So you think, T3 to T5 should be much more rare on planets, moons, and asteroids?
And what do you think about the amount of T1 and maybe T2?

On 10/31/2022 at 10:55 AM, Haunty said:

But in the future all the T2+ tiles in safe zone might be claimed with no opportunity for new players.

I think, that is the reason why NQ has in the planning, to add (at one point) more star systems to the game. But first, that point of saturation needs to be reached (amount of players).

On 10/31/2022 at 10:55 AM, Haunty said:

Rotating ore pools would be the only way around that even though it's not realistic and a bit cheesy.

If players have to give up tiles because their ore poos are gone, it would destroy one important aspect of the game: the architecture. You won't see anymore those amazing multi-core mega structures as we have now, as it simply makes no sense to build if we have to destroy that all at one point again and again. Too frustrating. It would degrade DU to a pure PVP game with no architectural beauty anymore. I personally would give up to play DU at that point.

7 hours ago, Hirnsausen said:

If players have to give up tiles because their ore poos are gone, it would destroy one important aspect of the game: the architecture. You won't see anymore those amazing multi-core mega structures as we have now, as it simply makes no sense to build if we have to destroy that all at one point again and again. Too frustrating. It would degrade DU to a pure PVP game with no architectural beauty anymore. I personally would give up to play DU at that point.

That's pretty much not true. You get three HQ tiles that don't need upkeep to stay yours. You should probably "build your legacy" on one of those. Since you can no longer operate MU without paying territory tax, there's no advantage to having your MU on an HQ hex, so your MUs wouldn't be where your architecture is. Same as in the real world: Sagrada Familia is not built on the spoil heaps of a mine.

And once you've built something, it's only a small amount of trouble to move it. You have the Bloop, and you have the materials. If you're a serious miner, you've probably got an atmo hauler capable of shifting it. No, shifting ore pools would be only a minor inhibition to the architects.

6 hours ago, W1zard said:

Territory Warfare

Thanks.

Now that I know what it is, I can say that I wouldn't like that. It would destroy much of what DU is about - all the architectural artwork and mega structures would be gone as no player with sense would invest so much artistic skills, creativity and time and resources, if some madman (or a pack of them) can simply come and destroy it all.

A good example to see what I men is another game, Ark Survival Evolved: there you have the PVE servers where the landscape is full of beautiful and impressive player-built buildings, and there are the PVP servers where all beauty and creativity are gone as the players on those servers just build as basic as possible.

DU makes a name through its architectural element, that is where it differs so much from all the many basic PVP games. If DU loses that component, it will degrade to just "one more basic PVP shooter".

2 hours ago, Kezzle said:

And what about all those players that have a small amount of MUs? Raising the cost for them (the need for more tiles) would be quite unfair. Take me for example: I have only two tiles, each with miserable ore amounts. I have not yet found any good tile. Searching since Beta had ended and the full version started. If I imagine to having to search for many weeks each few weeks again, hell, nooo. And I also cannot afford more tiles, with the small amount of quanta I get for my small ore amounts.  If ore pools would start to disappear, I and certainly many other players would also disappear from the pool of game-time purchasing players.

11 hours ago, Gandur said:

20 Scans no T2 on alioth .... that isn't satisfying and may stop the game completely.

260k tiles on Alioth and you are tilt for 20 scans... I just think this game is not for you imo.

Btw there is no interest in T4/T5 on planets, except creating less content in PVP or interactions between orgs/alliance and not enough roid in SZ (MU just need to be nerfed, cuz they created an imbalance with the main big tiles already reserved and NQ need to push players to go on roids, even in SZ)

41 minutes ago, Cobqlt said:

260k tiles on Alioth and you are tilt for 20 scans... I just think this game is not for you imo.

Btw there is no interest in T4/T5 on planets, except creating less content in PVP or interactions between orgs/alliance and not enough roid in SZ (MU just need to be nerfed, cuz they created an imbalance with the main big tiles already reserved and NQ need to push players to go on roids, even in SZ)

well i have now scaned 170 tiles on Alioth and no luck on t2 ores, and i have come to the conclusion, as you mention, that this is probably not for me.

I have not seen any mention from NQ about this, and have to assume that this is not considered an issue needing attention from then, im guessing working as intended.

• 1 month later...

Personally I feel T2+ ore on tiles are very little or non existent and that gameplay has moved to asteroids. Why is NQ taking away gameplay experience for the majority of players and only a select few can enjoy the planet territory T2+ ore pools. It’s so bad that I don’t even want to play. If your counter argument is there is to much T2+ ore why don’t we just remove 90% of T2+ ore from asteroids and see how that pans out for u. I Think ore pools need to be readjusted to allow everyone to enjoy TU mining but without having the mining rate to high that it causes to much ore to flood the market. Part of the problem I think is that we get too many calibration charges.  Another problem is territory tax… it’s way to high and should be lowered to 100k or based on the number constructs deployed on that tile. I could keep going on and on about suggestions but I’ll end it there… Hopefully NQ notices this is a problem and simply turning T1 into fuel is not going to fix all our problems…if your going to go that far NQ u might as well add chemistry to the game to mix ores together to create other by-product.. maybe different variations of combining T1 can create T2 idk just a thought..

On 11/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, Hirnsausen said:

Now that I know what it is, I can say that I wouldn't like that. It would destroy much of what DU is about - all the architectural artwork and mega structures would be gone as no player with sense would invest so much artistic skills, creativity and time and resources, if some madman (or a pack of them) can simply come and destroy it all.

Are you really thinking that T-war would come to existing groundspace? I'm sure you're right if all the currently safe planets suddenly became FFA PvP, but I think there are some things that make your pessimistic assessment unlikely to come to pass.

Firstly, I don't think even NQ are boneheaded enough to turn FFA PvP on "just everywhere, all at once". Now, I know that's not a certainty, given some of the asinine design choices they have made, but it would be such a massive mistake that even NQ wouldn't make it. Maybe 90%. Perhaps that's over optimistic, but we're allowed to hope, right? :)

Second, the vague appreciation of the "vision" behind T-War (such as it is, and as it has, patchily, been expressed) is that assaulting a ground location will be expensive in both time and "treasure". "Random destruction" isn't, if I'm reading the tea-leaves right, going to be very viable; the intent is that people will only initiate T-War for "good reason". Again, some optimism rides in this statement, and it does rely on NQ picking a "cost" that actually does deter the knuckle-draggers from random vandalism. So, maybe 50-50? Yah, like I said, some optimism :)

Third (and perhaps the most optimistic :) ) it would be easy to design a T-War system that makes it easy for anyone to support a defender, so that attackers have to be seriously serious about attacking a location that would have "popular support" to remain un-flattened, again making "casual vandalism" a non-worry. But that definitely relies on NQ nous in MMOs, so is way short of "likely": 10%?

So, on the whole, I'd guesstimate that there's about a 95-96% chance you needn't worry overmuch about T-war leading to mass destruction of the cultural capital of the Helios system "for the lulz". There would be collateral damage, from "legit" warfare over resources, but if you're not on such a territory, or in the way of forces fighting their way to such a territory, you'll "probably" be left alone.

But all the above is moot, since T-War isn't going to happen before the studio runs out of money to keep the servers spinning.

Edited by Kezzle
clumsy phrasing

On 11/5/2022 at 1:39 AM, Gandur said:

20 Scans no T2 on alioth .... that isn't satisfying and may stop the game completely.

LOL, I have over a thousand scans on Allioth and ZERO limestone ..... you have a long way to go my friend.

Maybe we should open a poll on most dissatisfying 'jobs' :
- Scanning (by far the most horrible thing to do due to the low hit potential on having a result).

- Calibration (at least it gives a result compare to scanning)

- Schema creation

- Schema checking on industry

- Market price adjustments

But also a poll of the nice things to do .....

- Building Ships (voxel building is awesome!!!)

- Building Static structures

- Industry

- Mining an astroid in pvp space (thrilling these days :))

• 1 month later...

Yeah, but the evolution line is complete broken:

1. You start on moon with T1
  2. You build the first industry of it
  3. Then you want to build next ship size 
  4. T2 required
  5. You pack all in the small ship and go to Alioth
  6. now it breaks
  7. No T2 here. The only Planet with that material
  8. Now you neet a T4 ship (Plus XL Asteroid Scanner) or need T3 for the Terrain Scanner -> Ok, lets trade some for a Medium ship is fine and build a Terrain Scanner, fair hard but maintainable
  9. No ore!
  10. Now I need a big ship size to put the Asteroid scanner on it. 
  11. The next 3 month you are still grinding... only!

That isn fun :(

I love the Voxel bulding, the trading (of course), the industry idea ... even with the schematics, the single shard, and so on.

I play maybe 2-3hours per Weekday. And only do grind, is not the idea of a after work gameplay ... I save my 21 DAC for 2024... lets see whats changed then ;) 

• 2 weeks later...