Element Stacking Needed Badly

Anitalex

Lets assume we are talking only about Basic Space Engine L.  This applies to all but I want to make it simple.

I have these items below....

30x Basic Space Engine L - New

30x Basic Space Engine L - 2 of 3 lives remaining

30x Basic Space Engine L - 1 of 3 lives remaining

I now have 61 slots in a container taken up.  

Can we please get the ability to stack parts with equal lives remaining and instead just have 3 slots taken up?   This has an effect on being able to use dispensers as well since I would have to reset the dispenser for each individual element as opposed to using 3 separate dispenser to dispense a part with equal amount of life left.

Edited by Anitalex
It submitted before i was done.

i completely agree.  What is the technical reason that this cannot happen?  All elements would become a row on some table in some database at some point during its spawning.  If you can group elements in this table when they have all lives then I dont see why you cannot group elements in this table when they have matching lives.

Give up the number of lives

every damaged element. I emphasize the damaged ( zero hit point ) one. It is not fit for use, the repair restores operation only for a while

A repair only restores life for a limited time, the better the repair material, the longer it will last.

Only the repair unit restores new condition

Edited by Vazqez

On 10/26/2022 at 1:40 AM, Vazqez said:

Give up the number of lives

every damaged element. I emphasize the damaged ( zero hit point ) one. It is not fit for use, the repair restores operation only for a while

A repair only restores life for a limited time, the better the repair material, the longer it will last.

Only the repair unit restores new condition

I am not sure if you are suggesting this or think this it the way it is.  It is not.   

We have containers upon containers of spare parts that are missing lives.  I just want to be able to sell them as a group from a dispenser, that's all.  I don't care to improve the repair system.   I just want to sell them at a discount and do it in a way that is at least a tiny bit automated.   The recycling system is at least something but I don't want to dismantle parts to their base ore and then put them back again.  I just want to sell it as is for a discount.

• 4 weeks later...

i honestly like it the way it is now. stacking should not be allowed. instead players should try to build more efficient, which requires skills and learning how the physics in this game work. if a planet has a high gravity, it should be expensive and difficult to bring mass to the orbit, this is what forces us to invent either more efficient ships or other clever to achieve what we need.
i wish they would even make it more challenging by introducing energy systems that would stop those massive ships with engine walls to exist. this would create job opportunities in the game and drive innovation forward. but just allowing single ships to hide even more engines by allowing stacking would not be the right way forward. same for xl or xxl atmo engines. just accept that a single ship cannot do everything and at the same time be efficient or cheap to run.
Instead we should innovate and try to live with the physic limits. can a single player run 60l containers without efforts from the surface to orbit? no.
so how can we solve this? today there are lots of ways already. use agg ( and accept the slow ascend speed, use elevators, use smaller shuttles that bring up some mass each flight to orbit or space station, use bigger space only ships, work together, think innovate based on the given limits. this is what creates challenges and drives us forward. ( and somehow slows down the mission misuse as well, which is a good thing)

7 hours ago, Hagbard said:

i honestly like it the way it is now. stacking should not be allowed. instead players should try to build more efficient, which requires skills and learning how the physics in this game work. if a planet has a high gravity, it should be expensive and difficult to bring mass to the orbit, this is what forces us to invent either more efficient ships or other clever to achieve what we need.
i wish they would even make it more challenging by introducing energy systems that would stop those massive ships with engine walls to exist. this would create job opportunities in the game and drive innovation forward. but just allowing single ships to hide even more engines by allowing stacking would not be the right way forward. same for xl or xxl atmo engines. just accept that a single ship cannot do everything and at the same time be efficient or cheap to run.
Instead we should innovate and try to live with the physic limits. can a single player run 60l containers without efforts from the surface to orbit? no.
so how can we solve this? today there are lots of ways already. use agg ( and accept the slow ascend speed, use elevators, use smaller shuttles that bring up some mass each flight to orbit or space station, use bigger space only ships, work together, think innovate based on the given limits. this is what creates challenges and drives us forward. ( and somehow slows down the mission misuse as well, which is a good thing)

I think by stacking here is ment aggregation on the level of inventory UI, currently when item has dynamic property it's not stackable even if the property bears same info (ie. basic atmo engine M "2 lives left")

20 hours ago, Hagbard said:

i honestly like it the way it is now. stacking should not be allowed...

This thread isn't about clipping elements in to each other like people used to before NQ stopped that, its about un-cluttering the inventory screen with damaged elements, and allowing them to be connected in a long-term useful manner to dispensers.

This seems a very reasonable request, though I might also ask for some kind if indicator in the corner of the element's inventory icon so that we can see how many lives elements from a given stack have remaining.