Do we really need the old planets back or is the game more buzzing?

Honvik

One thing i've noticed is it is so much busier now that we have less planets.  I'm not sure the reason to replace them back in without any planet bonus system.  its adding more dead worlds actually costing system resources!

Just wondering what people think?

The appearance of buzzing is not important to me in a space game, things are condensed enough as it is. The missing planets only make up about 1/4 of the total territory tiles anyway

5 hours ago, Honvik said:

One thing i've noticed is it is so much busier now that we have less planets.  I'm not sure the reason to replace them back in without any planet bonus system.  its adding more dead worlds actually costing system resources!

Just wondering what people think?

It only feels busier because it was so dead for 6 mths once wipe rumours started. You'll remember early beta was this busy, maybe busier. We definitely need new planets with better ore spawns to drive migration and sustain activity once the markets become saturated with player-made components on diminishing margins. A 'gold rush' to a new planet will be the only way to reinject life into the game in a few months, in the absence of any other major new content.

8 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

It actually seems pretty dead to me compared to early beta. I don't care whether they put the rest of the planets in or not since I don't expect to ever go to them.

Really? Now not including the org your in :).  Generally Market 6 and tiles nearby are buzzing as are the moons.

9 hours ago, Megabosslord said:

It only feels busier because it was so dead for 6 mths once wipe rumours started. You'll remember early beta was this busy, maybe busier. We definitely need new planets with better ore spawns to drive migration and sustain activity once the markets become saturated with player-made components on diminishing margins. A 'gold rush' to a new planet will be the only way to reinject life into the game in a few months, in the absence of any other major new content.

Not really as even before that it was dead as it was so spread out all over the place.  Freeport a good example was dead over 14 months ago and they were based on Teoma.  It just appears wasted system resources.  I guess I'd really want planets to have a REAL bonus to migrate and be active (not mining unit wastelands).

PvP content is spread out anyway now so its more from PvE perspective.

English (Translator used)

I hope the planets will reappear in new star systems. In addition, you can then add planets that cannot be entered (gas giants, very hot metal planets).

This would make new game mechanics possible, such as gas and energy extraction in space (etc.).

German (original)

Ich hoffe die Planeten werden in neuen Sternensystemen wieder auftauchen. Außerdem kann man dann auch nicht betretbare Planeten hinzufügen (Gasriesen, sehr heiße Metall-Planeten).

Damit wären neue Spielemechaniken möglich, wie Gas- und Energie-Gewinnung im Raum (usw.).

Die Waldfee

6 minutes ago, huschhusch said:

English (Translator used)

I hope the planets will reappear in new star systems. In addition, you can then add planets that cannot be entered (gas giants, very hot metal planets).

This would make new game mechanics possible, such as gas and energy extraction in space (etc.).

Die Waldfee

gated behind a star system would be better option IMO

8 hours ago, Daphne Jones said:

It actually seems pretty dead to me compared to early beta. I don't care whether they put the rest of the planets in or not since I don't expect to ever go to them.

I also find that the game is much more dead in this launch than the real launch of the game 2 years ago.

But for an "old" game with no stimulating novelty that could motivate new and old players, I still find that the release worked rather well. Even if there is not really a new player. The vast majority of Beta players have not left the game.

I don't know if that will be enough to keep the game alive. But I think we can enjoy it for a few more months/years.

Market 6 during early beta was busier then it is now imho. the last six months of beta was pretty much dead due to people not wanting to play in a non-persistent universe (wipe announcement). Yes M6 is busy, yes I sometimes need to go looking for an open terminal. But I've seen situations in beta were there were lines at the terminals...

Yes, I want all those planets/moons back. The reason I'm currently active at M6 is because I'm building up my manufacturing/mining capacity. The same situation as early beta, just highly accelerated and more massive. Honestly what's driving me at the moment is the opportunity to move to a new planet when they are re-released. I don't yet know if I go with the second/third wave of planets or wait for the last wave , but colonizing I will do.

But I understand that pvpers want a DU 'easy mode'. Less places were people can be, more like shooting fish in a barrel... 😉 I'm more of a pvp avoid-er and I can tell you from beta that more planets/moons means less ambushes as pvp corps can't keep every planet/moon/route interdicted 24/7.

On 10/21/2022 at 2:45 PM, Cergorach said:

Market 6 during early beta was busier then it is now imho. the last six months of beta was pretty much dead due to people not wanting to play in a non-persistent universe (wipe announcement). Yes M6 is busy, yes I sometimes need to go looking for an open terminal. But I've seen situations in beta were there were lines at the terminals...

Yes, I want all those planets/moons back. The reason I'm currently active at M6 is because I'm building up my manufacturing/mining capacity. The same situation as early beta, just highly accelerated and more massive. Honestly what's driving me at the moment is the opportunity to move to a new planet when they are re-released. I don't yet know if I go with the second/third wave of planets or wait for the last wave , but colonizing I will do.

But I understand that pvpers want a DU 'easy mode'. Less places were people can be, more like shooting fish in a barrel... 😉 I'm more of a pvp avoid-er and I can tell you from beta that more planets/moons means less ambushes as pvp corps can't keep every planet/moon/route interdicted 24/7.

Actually PvP isnt easy mode at all.  Radar's need to be vastly increased in range or 'pings' added.  The amount of missions quanta being made is ridcilous for the risk/reward.

The reason I'm less keen is worlds need a purpose.  A purpose that mean something than just mining units gathering dust.

On 10/23/2022 at 1:37 AM, Honvik said:

Actually PvP isnt easy mode at all.  Radar's need to be vastly increased in range or 'pings' added.  The amount of missions quanta being made is ridcilous for the risk/reward.

The reason I'm less keen is worlds need a purpose.  A purpose that mean something than just mining units gathering dust.

So after all, PVP should not be the goal. It is a means to an end. Including control over any region. But we don't even have the mechanics of tax collection in corporations, let alone third-party players.
Under any pvp activity there should be an economic goal and not just killing everyone flying past you.
All this could have been done long ago.
I hope, at least in space, we are given not only the opportunity to destroy each other's ships, but also some kind of meaningful justification for this. Mining territory control type and so on.

3 hours ago, ColonkinYT said:

Under any pvp activity there should be an economic goal and not just killing everyone flying past you.

That imho is an absolutely insane motivation. Not only does that not work like that in game(s), it also doesn't work that way in RL. Sure many wars are fought over economic gain, but how many wars had other primary motivations? Nationalism, expansionism, insult, hatred, religion, etc. People are motivated by way more things then economic gain, because economic gain is for many not the goal in life, but a means to an end. If we are only motivated by economic gain, why even play this game? There is no economic gain in it for you. So people pvp in games more often for something else then economic gain, because the pvp loop can often be not as profitable as other loops.

Now, if you want to drive territory warfare, you do want to make it worthwhile. To a certain extend the Alien cores do that with the alien goo they give you, you need for things like Warp Beacons... What exactly is territory warfare exactly going to give you? Folks might fight over certain resource flowers, but I expect that the cost of taking it and keeping it far outweighs any economic benefits. There's going to be a LOT of additional mechanics and systems in place before that is ever going to happen, the big issue imho isn't the actual pew-pew, but why even bother beyond pew-pew and that requires game mechanics that are not connected to normal RL motivations. For example, fighting battles, tanking and keeping territory might give you prestige. Prestige could be another currency you can buy stuff with, like org cosmetics or it can give you benefits at certain levels, possibly it would require multiple motivating reward systems in place before it becomes a viable activity... Which could again seriously skew the economics in the game.

The question is why have they not added more things to these planets? I have no idea how many there was as I only played on launch but from the planets I have seen they are bare. Full of surface mining rocks but where is the ambition for the game?

All that space and they could have added roaming npc's, robots to kill to harvest parts and more buildings to visit other than market, this list could go on. For me the game is similar to Atlas, played that at launch many years ago and had the potential to be a great pirate game then mistakes were made within dev team and everyone left the game, not many play it these days.

If the game was free to play I don't think many would criticise so much as you're not paying for it along the way but to pay subscription at £10.49, quite a lot higher than other popular MMO's it is just not worth it for me at this time. I cross my fingers though and hope they pull something out of the bag and turn it around, they could have a lot more players in the game if it was going in the right direction.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:46 AM, Honvik said:

Really? Now not including the org your in :).  Generally Market 6 and tiles nearby are buzzing as are the moons.

Uhm, Only market 6 is buzzing, but then whenever i am there i only see about 2 peops max, so if 2 peops max is buzzing we have an issue.

@DannyUK The whole selling point was No npc and everything should be player driven.

In alpha and closed beta That worked partly as we had less limitations and enough people to actually see people, it was overly bussy in periods.

Then limitations came, and loads of them, after that schematics that killed of about 50% of the population, then some other shit and even more limitations and what you have now is the best we can get with all limitations, most based on server load, and the obvious No npc will ever be in DU.

Pushing away experienced feature bringers and game content builders with no-value-added limitations gets you where we are now.

4 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

Uhm, Only market 6 is buzzing, but then whenever i am there i only see about 2 peops max, so if 2 peops max is buzzing we have an issue.

What is your timezone?  i'm on now and there is about 30 people I quickly counted. There were also 6 ships taking off and flying.

The only buzzing I hear is that noise crickets make. Thades is all but deserted. 

One single planet might have been better given the current numbers. 

there are no longer enough players remaining in this game after the attrition that was the final release to support a vibrant economy outside of Alioth. 

On 10/25/2022 at 4:29 AM, Aaron Cain said:

I've been to M6 when all of the market terminals on the elevator sides of the building were in use and I had to actually walk to a set of terminals on the side of the building.  And that row wasn't empty on either side to boot.