So Long - And thanks for all the fish (UPDATED)

Archaegeo

Thank you for making DU Special. You will be missed, but I have a feeling in the end will all be missed sooner or later. For me it's the asteroid mining and the excuses about planetary hand mining. I accept there was lag and issues. But I don't accept this forced gang bang of asteroids myself. I was a gold backer maybe not someone high up there but I was sold on 3 things...

1) Exploration of a Galaxy

2) A Galaxy with multiple bodies in the sense we can hop onto a ship and go to the deep unknown this was the whole point of deep space probes, etc as the chance finding something was slim. 

3) Mining of Planets... Now it's just a forced mining game to encourage us to PvP really and not about PvE... Even Starbase did a much better method of asteroids that I would trade in a heartbeat... Then again NMS, Empyrion, Hell Space Engineers for some reason all can do mining better then what DU offers. 

12 hours ago, JadeRode said:

@Archaegeo 

All I see is hatred here. Are you telling me that a few discrepancies has caused so much hatred in you that now you must leave the game? Do you not care for all the time you spent here? What about all the people you have met. DU is not a perfect game, I don't think any game will ever be a perfect game. But why can't we enjoy it for what it is? NQ surely has some stuff to take care of, but man they are human too trying their best to live and make cool games, surely we can cut them a little slack? Bwaha 

Take a break bro, but don't leave forever. Come back and enjoy the game again when you are ready to.

This

12 hours ago, EasternGamer said:

Think this in particular was what really got him here:
image.png.30beab16ed225a5d0b342e92dedd9aea.png

Snarky reply that has no reason for existing.

I agree with his reply. It’s a sandbox, the towers have been restricted in higher to 1km, just be careful when approaching and dropping below that threshold.

this really is the most ridiculous reason to quit the game, it’s beyond ridiculous 

56 minutes ago, Shredder said:

I agree with his reply. It’s a sandbox, the towers have been restricted in higher to 1km, just be careful when approaching and dropping below that threshold.

this really is the most ridiculous reason to quit the game, it’s beyond ridiculous 

It's not ridiculous in context. It's just the straw that broke the camel's back. A snarky reply ignoring the actual concern. Like others have pointed out, if they're allowed to do it, so can you and have no fear of breaking the rules, you could surround the markets with "legitimate" buildings for whatever reason, or multiple players could do it for different reasons, and NQ would be unable to take action by their rules.

It isn't about autopilot either, Arch said himself that his script shouldn't encounter an issue because of the auto-avoidance stuff he has built in. It's the principle of changing the rule to avoid them taking action against the clearly offending construct. Until NQ remembers why they put in that rule in the first place (for performance and playability considerations) likely nothing will be done.

13 hours ago, JadeRode said:

All I see is hatred here. Are you telling me that a few discrepancies has caused so much hatred in you that now you must leave the game? Do you not care for all the time you spent here? What about all the people you have met.

Sometimes kindness and love is only so strong. A child with a bad attitude can only antagonize their parents for so long before corrective action is taken. If a couple's relationship isn't strong, then there isn't much keeping them apart. Dispensers of justice will only let us go with so many penalties before we end up in prison.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me to say that some of us are just running on faith now. I've been here since kickstarter, and I have lots of reasons to leave. I'm personally in quite the pretzel of a balancing act ever since the changes to organizations were announced, it wouldn't take more than a solid shove for me to move on.

I'm not a fan of burning $500, but sometimes, it's not about the money... 

11 hours ago, taylorbud said:

Honestly I'm very sad you are leaving but if you are leaving because someone is building something they want on a tile they own that like telling someone you cant put that space station there its in my direct route. 

Oh man, someone remind them of how constructs had to be made invulnerable and automatically brake while coming out of warp because people were building voxel nets at the end of tunnels. Or what about the wall of dirt that was being built around the arkship... Wasn't the ASA much smaller back in Pre-/Alpha? I remember buildings hanging right off the side of the marketplaces and even had one myself. Those were the days.

People will be awful just for kicks, and not in make-believe video games either. Flip on your local news channel for examples. I don't watch mainstream news anymore for a reason.

11 hours ago, Agnar_BurnsAll said:

all while probably min maxing with alts to flood the economy with quanta.  even if it was an extra tile away you would still probably be complaining about it.

We'd probably still complain if it was a dozen tiles away if the load were even heavier. Also, solution to avoid this 'flooding the economy with quanta', how about cutting players off entirely from doing apheila missions after doing it so many times? I mean, it is a legitimate concern, and missions were already adjusted during previous testing phases because they were such easy money.

4 hours ago, Agnar_BurnsAll said:

i understand that a single tower that is gonna be fully built out and is not in any way a "GRIEF" is only a minor inconvenience when relying strictly on autopilots to do all your flying for you. causing you to actually exert some effort when you're flooding the economy with quanta from farming the mission.

See someones previous reply about building regulations in and around airports. As far as I'm concerned, this is no better than those anti-grav towers that pierced the atmosphere on voxel-thin stilts. If you didn't have a radar back then, or at minimum static cores displayed, you were playing with a loaded gun.

15 hours ago, Archaegeo said:

I hated the fact we have T1 bots buying ore injecting unlimited quanta into the economy (why should coal be worth anything if no player willing to pay for it).

I hated there are bots selling elements (takes way player market niche setting ceiling prices)

Same. They say they want a player run economy yet this element seeding completely ruins the concept.

You will be so missed! Hope you think about this another time. been there myself and although i actually already said byebye i still am here.

Most of the points you mention are so true,

a nice example is those stupid npoc missions someone thought we needed but only added ways to cheat.  Now we have gotten lousy schematics to get rid of the quanta introduced by stupid missions.....what a waste.

Frankly, when playing a sandbox, with actuall people who can make actuall missions why the hell introduce npc missions.

But you are correct, if building a single voxel tower at 500 meters from a market that will not render untill too late is not an act of grieving, or lets minimize that goes in on player hapiness. then what is stopping everyone from again making alioth a gigantic hedgehog, specially around towers.

I can see this as an actuall way to get materials, just build a few spikes on your territory and hope people crash on it, make sure the territorial rights are correctly set so they cannot fix the ship and free loot is there. But still according to NQ Honest gameplay.

As said, You will be missed and added to the long list of backers and starters that did not survive Beta or release. Still hope to see you back here!

Cry me a river.

All your quitting achieves, is removing a voice of opposition.

All you're doing is hurting the rest of those who agree with you.

Because of an effing tower you can easily go around.

If it's an actual problem you can *report it*.

So, ultimately, all you're doing is removing a voice that would report ...

... decreasing the amount of voices opposing those who just accept something.

Your voice loses all its weight when you remove it.

Leaving equals giving up.

You're not leaving with your head high, you're leaving conquered.

One shouldn't do that.

Edited by Solstice_Projekt

Désolé, je vais mettre ce que je pense en Français, une âme charitable saura sûrement vous le traduire. 

Votre départ n'arrangera rien, il faut du courage pour défendre ses convictions. Il en faut encore plus pour se battre sans blesser, mais en acceptant d'être soi-même blessé.
La seule façon de changer les comportements, c'est de rester et se battre. 

Je sais, il est facile de dire que ce n'est qu'un jeu et qu'ils n'ont qu'à se débrouiller tout seul. 
Je ne partage pas votre point de vue et je ne dit pas ça à cause qu'il n'y aura personne pour poursuivre votre œuvre. Mais que nous perdrons un homme de convictions qui s'il reste fera à coup sûr avancer les mentalités et le jeu. 

Messaline

Edited by Messaline

19 minutes ago, Solstice_Projekt said:

Cry me a river.

I can understand that the accumulation of issues makes one want to quit,

but crying over *this* just makes you look like an effing carebear who can't handle the slightest inconveniences.

Boohoo someone built a tower somewhere and I have to watch what I'm doing!

All your quitting achieves, is removing a voice of opposition.

All you're doing is hurting the rest of those who agree with you.

Because of an effing tower you can easily go around.

Shame on you.

and it's only going to be limited to a 1km tall tower at most.  A month ago we were dodging around 10km+ towers and platforms that were still around the markets.  Is it an inconveinance, yes it is.  Does it mean we'll have to watch our approaches and cargo amounts, yes it does.  Is it really a reason to quit a game over, no it's not.

Sorry to see another talented old Player go.. you did so much for the Player community and created the kind of content this game needs.

I was in doubt if i would return as well, but am giving DU a try again now...

even though they broke their promises.

Thx for all you have done for DU!

Hagbard

Thanks for all the replies including the kind words, and the constructive disagreement (those who think personal insults are the way to hold public discourse I truly feel for you).

I want to be clear though - This had absolutely nothing to do with having to avoid a tower.  Thats how I found it.  ArchHUD will avoid crashing into it (with an atmo radar), or can have a route that plots around it, so this is nothing to do with the tower, or not being able to afk autopilot, or afk mission run (its funny some people think you can legally automate the whole thing, you cannot0.

This has to do with an obvious intentional griefing, a rule to prevent such griefing, and the sudden interpretation that 2km airspace only means directly over the market tile.

For any newbie flying, they may not know that even if they turn to avoid the tower when it loads in, they might stall and crash.  And anyone using market 12 as a market cant fly out at that heading now, cause few ships can do 38 deg up and go 500m up before going 450m forward (whats needed to avoid the tower).  And the fact they posted a sign saying roughly, we are going to cover the entire north side, land elsewhere.  And yes, the NQ snarky reply didn't help.

This is the problem with rules in MMOs. If something isnt hard coded, players will break the rules and GMs will have to waste valuable time investigating such reports.  But if that is the dev team choice, you enforce the rule, or you change the rule. 

Changing this rule (which they effectively did) allowed one way "pvp".  By this I mean:  Since the tile in question is in safe space, one player is allowed to force all other player to change their playstyle (fly a different route) and there is nothing they can do about it.  We cant destroy the tower, we cant move the tower, we can only choose to change our fight paths because another player forces us to do so.

And it was a choice by them, it is built perfectly perpendicular to the incoming and return flight path for the most popular mission from Alphelia, and has a scrap stand at the base.

Anyway, like someone said above, straws and camels.

Be good to one another, remember that PvP doesnt mean hate v hate, just two people playing a game.  

20 hours ago, Owl_Superb said:

What a dense response. A 2km clear sky moratorium should be applied around all markets, should make it 5km for extra safety, since NQ's support staff are restoring player's crashed ships day in day out. Soon we'll all be forced to land vertically on markets as if through a well from 5 km altitude if this is allowed.

people just need to learn to fly better.  

Lol you're not leaving. None of you are leaving. And if you are, good riddance.

This is a classic cry for attention. For some reason the players of this game are more entitled and snobby than any playerbase I've been a part of.

One construct on one market and you claim "NQ doesn't care about its players?"

Lemme see some of your tickets and chat logs. I bet you were all very reasonable and patient and didn't lose your temper like little piss babies every time you talked to game staff.

All of you need to get over yourselves, take a deep breath, and stop praying on everything's downfall. 

2 hours ago, choxie said:

This is a classic cry for attention. For some reason the players of this game are more entitled and snobby than any playerbase I've been a part of.

Lemme see some of your tickets and chat logs. I bet you were all very reasonable and patient and didn't lose your temper like little piss babies every time you talked to game staff.

All of you need to get over yourselves, take a deep breath, and stop praying on everything's downfall. 

Are you trolling? If not, your post is grossly offensive and attention-seeking.

2 hours ago, choxie said:

No offense, but after the last two years, NQ has spent all the goodwill we've had, and why Archy is leaving is not because only this specific case, it's because of the mountain of times NQ has screwed us over by doing something different from what they said they were going to do. This is what is called the straw that broke the camel's back OR the drop that made the bucket overflow. Archy has given everything away, including his DACs, so he's pretty much gone.

Don't get me wrong, a LOT of us that have (started) playing since beta launch are close to what happened here. Personally I've not used my 4 paid accounts since April 14 (wipe announcement) till launch, that's 22 months of subscription down the drain. I started playing again at launch, my accounts have been prepaid for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if I'll also 'hissy fit quit' at some point. DU/NQ has been grinding away at my thick skin for the last two years, I'm here again, but my patience is wearing thin!

13 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

No offense, but after the last two years, NQ has spent all the goodwill we've had, and why Archy is leaving is not because only this specific case, it's because of the mountain of times NQ has screwed us over by doing something different from what they said they were going to do. This is what is called the straw that broke the camel's back OR the drop that made the bucket overflow. Archy has given everything away, including his DACs, so he's pretty much gone.

Don't get me wrong, a LOT of us that have (started) playing since beta launch are close to what happened here. Personally I've not used my 4 paid accounts since April 14 (wipe announcement) till launch, that's 22 months of subscription down the drain. I started playing again at launch, my accounts have been prepaid for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if I'll also 'hissy fit quit' at some point. DU/NQ has been grinding away at my thick skin for the last two years, I'm here again, but my patience is wearing thin!

this right here...if NQ ever decides to approve this post

4 hours ago, choxie said:

The height thing was one of many issues as stated. I think tbh he might of focused on it and the community focused on it a bit too much but it was multiple reasons. I do like how though the owner of the lot took an adult approach even though 100% in their right and to take it down probably due to the threats people were making and hopefully those have been recorded and saved so NQ on Monday can start handing out perm bans for death threats.

• Archaegeo changed the title to So Long - And thanks for all the fish (UPDATED)

Given a conversation with NQ this weekend and expected rule clarifications next week (not sure which way, just clarified rules) I plan to continue playing for the moment. This might end up being like when you plan to quit a job, you are offered some so you stay, and you end up quitting 6 months later, but we will see. I honestly do want DU to work out, I didnt put 2 years of coding into it because I want it to fail. When you have a game with GM enforced rules, they must be clear and they must be enforced, especially in PvE areas where all other players have no recourse. If we had territory warfare and could have dealt with this on our own, it would be a totally separate situation. Anyway, ArchHUD will be maintained and continue to be improved for now (as much as I was ever able to improve it).

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2022 at 7:50 AM, Archaegeo said:

Given a conversation with NQ this weekend and expected rule clarifications next week (not sure which way, just clarified rules) I plan to continue playing for the moment. This might end up being like when you plan to quit a job, you are offered some so you stay, and you end up quitting 6 months later, but we will see. I honestly do want DU to work out, I didnt put 2 years of coding into it because I want it to fail. When you have a game with GM enforced rules, they must be clear and they must be enforced, especially in PvE areas where all other players have no recourse. If we had territory warfare and could have dealt with this on our own, it would be a totally separate situation. Anyway, ArchHUD will be maintained and continue to be improved for now (as much as I was ever able to improve it).

This was Archaegeo's last post and Arch HUD was archived over 20 days ago.  If the HUD is broken then it's time to say goodbye to it as it is probably dead for good.