So Long - And thanks for all the fish (UPDATED)

Archaegeo

UPDATE

Given a conversation with NQ this weekend and expected rule clarifications next week (not sure which way, just clarified rules) I plan to continue playing for the moment. This might end up being like when you plan to quit a job, you are offered some so you stay, and you end up quitting 6 months later, but we will see. I honestly do want DU to work out, I didnt put 2 years of coding into it because I want it to fail. When you have a game with GM enforced rules, they must be clear and they must be enforced, especially in PvE areas where all other players have no recourse. If we had territory warfare and could have dealt with this on our own, it would be a totally separate situation. Anyway, ArchHUD will be maintained and continue to be improved for now (as much as I was ever able to improve it).

It is with some amount of deep regret that I say goodbye to DU.

I have tried to support the game, beyond ArchHUD, but NQ's attitude to blatant griefing is just too much.

This is not how you help a game grow.  We all know there are lots of issues, but I was hoping that the wipe and release would be a nice fresh start.

I want to thank everyone who has supported ArchHUD (and ButtonHud before that) and who have provided support and kind words over the 2 years.

I hated the fact we have T1 bots buying ore injecting unlimited quanta into the economy (why should coal be worth anything if no player willing to pay for it).

I hated there are bots selling elements (takes way player market niche setting ceiling prices)

I hated the fact that there is no decay of elements (life count is bugged, nothing on my ship goes below 2 lives left, and of course static elements never run out).

I hated that we didnt get Territory Warfare (original promise)

I hated that their solution to pvp problems was a stupid floor max speed no matter mass of ship.  (And floor burn speed no matter size of ship).

I was willing to overlook it, and hope they would make the game better, but ....

I cannot continue supporting a game where the dev's ignore blatant griefing and refuse to enforce their own rules.  (see below post).

So I am done.  I wish you all well, and will see you around the pond.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Archaegeo

(Regarding ArchHUD - I will leave it up for the time being.  I will not be providing support for it though going forward.  There are many who will, and someone might pick up the mantel).

<

>

2 minutes ago, Archaegeo said:

but I was hoping that the wipe and release would be a nice fresh start.

3 minutes ago, Archaegeo said:

3 minutes ago, Archaegeo said:

4 minutes ago, Archaegeo said:

Wait it's still the same game eventhough we erased the progress of those filthy backers? But we really felt it wouldn't be... Oh well bye bye.

@Archaegeo

Thank you very much for all your work.

I've used your script and I think it was FANTASTIC

I'm sad you're done with it, but I fully understand.

You gave me the controls, I never could code myself (and I say this as someone who cracked games in the early days using assembler)

My biggest RESPECT to you and the guys with you for what you have created.

Lots of respect ..

a lot .. hell a lot

sincerely

THANK YOU

GJ NQ :) 

Another great wellknown person who's leaving after years of supporting. But hey they dont care about older players.. What was Kickstarter? Founders? Who cares. 

Ty for your work @Archaegeo at Hyperion many members used your hud on PVE Ships. Currently all ships have 2 seats, one always with ArchHud xD

Cya~

@Archaegeo 

All I see is hatred here. Are you telling me that a few discrepancies has caused so much hatred in you that now you must leave the game? Do you not care for all the time you spent here? What about all the people you have met. DU is not a perfect game, I don't think any game will ever be a perfect game. But why can't we enjoy it for what it is? NQ surely has some stuff to take care of, but man they are human too trying their best to live and make cool games, surely we can cut them a little slack? Bwaha 

Take a break bro, but don't leave forever. Come back and enjoy the game again when you are ready to.

Just now, JadeRode said:

@Archaegeo 

All I see is hatred here. Are you telling me that a few discrepancies has caused so much hatred in you that now you must leave the game? Do you not care for all the time you spent here? What about all the people you have met. DU is not a perfect game, I don't think any game will ever be a perfect game. But why can't we enjoy it for what it is? NQ surely has some stuff to take care of, but man they are human too trying their best to live and make cool games, surely we can cut them a little slack? Bwaha 

Take a break bro, but don't leave forever. Come back and enjoy the game again when you are ready to.

Think this in particular was what really got him here:
image.png.30beab16ed225a5d0b342e92dedd9aea.png

Snarky reply that has no reason for existing.

2 minutes ago, EasternGamer said:

I can perceive that as being rude and uncalled for. Have we asked him to apologize and take down the post?

Also, this guy is in NQ and definitely a representative, but he is only a single guy and not the whole company! Maybe he was in a bad mood too? Or maybe he is actually a jerk? Who can say for sure right now?

17 minutes ago, JadeRode said:

I can perceive that as being rude and uncalled for. Have we asked him to apologize and take down the post?

Also, this guy is in NQ and definitely a representative, but he is only a single guy and not the whole company! Maybe he was in a bad mood too? Or maybe he is actually a jerk? Who can say for sure right now?

A single guy and a single case, yes but there a many of thems and someday one another is enough. And now that breakpoint is reached for Archaegeo.

NQ did many failures for the Lua community and many already gave up and left DU... It's pretty awesome that he came back for release and reworked his Hud for us. It's sad that NQ is still not "with their community".

2 hours ago, Archaegeo said:

It is with some amount of deep regret that I say goodbye to DU.

I have tried to support the game, beyond ArchHUD, but NQ's attitude to blatant griefing is just too much.

This is not how you help a game grow.  We all know there are lots of issues, but I was hoping that the wipe and release would be a nice fresh start.

I want to thank everyone who has supported ArchHUD (and ButtonHud before that) and who have provided support and kind words over the 2 years.

I hated the fact we have T1 bots buying ore injecting unlimited quanta into the economy (why should coal be worth anything if no player willing to pay for it).

I hated there are bots selling elements (takes way player market niche setting ceiling prices)

I hated the fact that there is no decay of elements (life count is bugged, nothing on my ship goes below 2 lives left, and of course static elements never run out).

I hated that we didnt get Territory Warfare (original promise)

I hated that their solution to pvp problems was a stupid floor max speed no matter mass of ship.  (And floor burn speed no matter size of ship).

I was willing to overlook it, and hope they would make the game better, but ....

I cannot continue supporting a game where the dev's ignore blatant griefing and refuse to enforce their own rules.  (see below post).

So I am done.  I wish you all well, and will see you around the pond.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Archaegeo

(Regarding ArchHUD - I will leave it up for the time being.  I will not be providing support for it though going forward.  There are many who will, and someone might pick up the mantel).

<

>

I refuse to let you quit! Seriously bud - this is not the hill to die on. The game needs people like you. WE need people like you. I respect your decision but politely and respectfully request that you ignore the lack of enforcement of their own rules and carry on playing with us, the people with whom you have grown friendships with over the last 2+ years!

Also - there are many other ways we can tackle this problem at its heart. How about a server wide embargo on trading at this market.

Message me on my discord if you want to chat. Don't let this be your swansong though. For those of us who enjoy having you around!

1 hour ago, JadeRode said:

Unfortunately this is not the first time. Most of us have had this happen. Even during beta, a lot of what we said was ignored or treated as "not productive". When your dev wont even enforce the rules that we have had for years then people start getting more and more bitter/disheartened. The only reason I even play at this point is because the people I know here.

I love your Hud and I'm sad to see you go but I want to point out a few things first we knew coming into this release bots would buy t1 ore, selling elements, no tile warfare yet and other such things we don't want but are dealing with. I honestly don't see how it is hard to avoid it hell he even put up a sign that's not griefing. NQ has a point I've run hrs and hrs of aileron mission and haven't come close to hitting the tower. Its honestly not hard point your ship a little to the side... Honestly I'm very sad you are leaving but if you are leaving because someone is building something they want on a tile they own that like telling someone you cant put that space station there its in my direct route. 

2 hours ago, EasternGamer said:

Guy sounds like a real added value member of the team... /s

Seriously though, all that worry about market dispensers and rules and yet giant ship-destroying towers RIGHT NEXT TO IT are fine. Makes sense 🤷‍♂️

so  let me get this straight there is someone building an actual 500 m tower near a common flight path that from what i've seen is not actually griefing and your solution is to quit a game you've supported for years because you didn't like the response you got probably because you cant use your autopilot script from point to point with out paying attention all while probably min maxing with alts to flood the economy with quanta.  even if it was an extra tile away you would still probably be complaining about it.

Edited by Agnar_BurnsAll

21 minutes ago, Agnar_BurnsAll said:

so  let me get this straight there is someone building an actual 500 m tower near a common flight path that from what i've seen is not actually griefing and your solution is to quit a game you've supported for years because you didn't like the response you got probably because you cant use your autopilot script from point to point with out paying attention all while probably min maxing with alts to flood the economy with quanta.  even if it was an extra tile away you would still probably be complaining about it.

What a dense response. A 2km clear sky moratorium should be applied around all markets, should make it 5km for extra safety, since NQ's support staff are restoring player's crashed ships day in day out. Soon we'll all be forced to land vertically on markets as if through a well from 5 km altitude if this is allowed.

21 minutes ago, Owl_Superb said:

What a dense response. A 2km clear sky moratorium should be applied around all markets, should make it 5km for extra safety, since NQ's support staff are restoring player's crashed ships day in day out. Soon we'll all be forced to land vertically on markets as if through a well from 5 km altitude if this is allowed.

or you could i dont know actually pilot your ship and avoid the obstacles fairly easily.

1 minute ago, Agnar_BurnsAll said:

or you could i dont know actually pilot your ship and avoid the obstacles fairly easily.

Imagine the public airports didn't have the height zoning restrictions in your city, what a roller-coaster ride that would be, fun fun fun!
And the many many crashes that would happen as a result of such poor policy making would be condescendingly explained - "an actual pilot would avoid obstacles fairly easily".

It's really sad to see you go, Arch, but I can understand the feeling. After today's whole shit show on Discord and having an NQ employee running circles around the subject, making fun of my question and muting me for 4 hours instead of giving a final answer that addressed not only the 2km airspace rule, but the 2km screens rule one too, I also felt quite tired.

I know I did my part trying to improve this game and having it succeed, but I also give up trying. I'll just keep playing until I can't afford the subscription anymore and leave, just like you, because there isn't point in trying to sympathise with a game developer that clearly has no respect to their player base and can't even follow their own rules.

See you around the pond, Arch! I'm sure we'll meet again.

3 hours ago, Agnar_BurnsAll said:

3 hours ago, Agnar_BurnsAll said:

It seems you don't understand anything.

What people on Discord, this thread and the other thread clearly don't understand is that NQ literally created precedent for other people who have tiles connected to markets to do the same. It isn't about ArchHUD, autopilot or even missions, for that matter, it's just that accordingly to NQ-Rubicon's own words, the market rules are only enforced within Aphelia (market) tiles, nowhere else. So if players decide to build towers obstructing markets or spam screens with advertisements on their connected tiles, they are allowed to do it, based on what was said.

unknown.png

The precedent is now set, it's NQ's "official" statement about the subject, and honestly, I'm tired of that subject already. I already got my punishment by NQ for talking on the subject and don't want to get into that rabbit hole again, just to get punished again. So much hassle.

Anyways, let's see how long this holds up and this interpretation of the rule stays valid.

If it wasn't DIRECTLY in the flight path of the hauling mission, it might be a little less.... Well, Rude.  

I mean, really..   who thought "hey, lets put a big fat tower up directly in the path of a hauling mission so people hit it and sell scrap at the base" 

Since NQ has deemed this behavior appropriate (I imagine this is going to lead to walls around the marketplace, gee thanks!) I guess the only real recourse people who don't like this kind of rudeness is to not patronize the people who think doing crap like this is appropriate..   I know I won't be.. 

I guess the most disappointing thing about this (aside from losing ArcHud - altho it wasn't the Main/Only reason he has decided to quit) was NQ's Flippant response...

-D

2 hours ago, Underhand Aerial said:

It seems you don't understand anything.

i understand that a single tower that is gonna be fully built out and is not in any way a "GRIEF" is only a minor inconvenience when relying strictly on autopilots to do all your flying for you. causing you to actually exert some effort when you're flooding the economy with quanta from farming the mission.