NQ - Enforce your rules or remove them please (Market 12 glidepath obstruction)

Archaegeo

At market 12, the turn in point for the 180k Alphelia mission, there is a tower being built 500m from the market landing pad that is in the direct flight path of anyone approaching or leaving that way.

This is against the rule saying "Airspace must remain clear within 2km of market".

The owners state that NQ said it is ok.

So if the rule doesnt apply, remove it.

They have also placed a dynamic construct with a sign at the market (another violation of rules) stating they are going to block the N side of market 12, land elsewhere if you dont like it.

If this is going to be allowed, fine, but remove the rule.  We know the rule was put in place due to people intentionally obstructing markets with tall towers.

Yes, this tower is only 500m tall, but to clear it on takeoff, you would need a 38 deg slope, with enough sustentation speed and lift to get you over it if going that direction.

All that aside, the issue here:

ENFORCE YOUR RULES or REMOVE YOUR RULES.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Via discord today:

NQ-RubiconToday at 11:18 AM

The construct shown is not in violation of the Market parking rules, nor is it circumventing any in-game rules. When referring to airspace, this means typical flying heights and the Market rules never apply to player owned territories.

97f45ee52c08a06d43b9a4ea175ecdac.webp?si

NQ-RubiconToday at 11:27 AM

If anyone reports a construct that a player creates with intent to block or grief players, we will investigate and take any appropriate action. In this case, there is plenty of Aphelia territory and airspace unobstructed to allow players access as intended. As mentioned, the Market rules are only enforced within Aphelia territory. This has always been the objective

"As mentioned, the Market rules are only enforced within Aphelia territory. This has always been the objective"

Well, so according to NQ's official statement, those rules only ever apply to the market tile itself and we're clear for building our towers and putting screens too? If so, I kindly request NQ to properly fix their screens text to CLEARLY state those rules are ONLY VALID FOR APHELIA TILES, as I want to build my own stuff and don't want to be bothered in the future because of rules not applying for everyone.

But honestly, this whole topic has been a shit show and following the whole "XXL and XXXL items not needing schematics is not an exploit" thing it really takes my trust from NQ. Feels like their rules only ever apply when convenient or that they are "partnering" with those players.

I always assumed that the 2km limit was referring to parking AGG ships.  But the wording is pretty vague.

I think however NQ wants to handle this kind of thing; it needs to be built into the game.  Tiles shouldn't be claimable if you aren't supposed to build on them.

And it can't be on NQ to make individual calls as to what is considered a legitimate building verses someone intentionally blocking a flight path.

It's true that the markets in the purple zone on Alioth will always have a clear flight path on one side.  But there are a lot of other markets that could eventually have an entire city built around them.  And it would probably be a good idea to decide how to handle this now, rather than later.

On 10/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, Atmosph3rik said:

I always assumed that the 2km limit was referring to parking AGG ships.  But the wording is pretty vague.

I don't think it is that vague as this rule applies to screens (ads) which were not intended to be displayed on a AAG ship standing 1km above ground (this would be a pretty bad ad). Maybe they didn't know that a tile radius is about 500m, but even that feels impossible to me...

The only reason I find is that they wanted to forbid AAG ships to park at less than 2km height and forbid people placing ads on the parking. This ended up with this poor wording for both screens rule and airspace rule.

On 10/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, Atmosph3rik said:

It's true that the markets in the purple zone on Alioth will always have a clear flight path on one side.  But there are a lot of other markets that could eventually have an entire city built around them.  And it would probably be a good idea to decide how to handle this now, rather than later.

Appart the drama about the market 12, I hope NQ understands that this is the biggest concern now : the current (clarified) rules allow griefing on every markets, and blocking missions running, as players could block every angles of the markets. This is not about "just avoid the building and turn right", this is about game stability and griefing prevention. As you said, better sooner than later, I wouldn't trust the good will of the players, always expect the worst.

note: all of this is obsolete if NQ considers that having a ship that can VTOL from space to ground with only airbrakes is a fair mechanic. I hope not.

edit: as there is a 2km range for mission delivery, there is no problem on that part.

Edited by Ater Omen

That building at Market 12 has got to go. And the markets should have a 5 km radius of free space around them. And they shouldn't be on the awful stilts - which we know are there to make placing markets easier for NQ on any terrain without having to level the ground first. Markets should be on flat ground, with massive parking lots around them and a few landing strips.

NQ are so lazy in the worst of the circumstances; they won't fix this, which creates more and more work for themselves and the support staff. A little bit of rework of the rules would go a long way into the future.

Edited by Owl_Superb

11 minutes ago, Darkracer125 said:

though market towers or large structures deffinatly need to be removed.

if you can't do a 38 degree slope then you need to build a better ship.

38 degree seems 100% fine especially on a very high load... Sounds like if you can do higher then that there needs to be some hardcore balancing to make it harder to achieve ;) 

5 hours ago, EmbyrCelyca said:

Not gonna lie, but I like and appreciate the dev responses that got Arch so riled up.

There's plenty to complain about with needing new professions for players (gameplay loops) but that tower and the dev response isn't one of them.

The issue people are having with those responses is the rules as written explicitly forbid building tall structures within 2km of a market. A tall tower was built within that distance, but NQ quite plainly stated they didn't care since it wasn't on the market's tile. This means as long as its on an owned tile, people can surround a market with the worst dystopian mega city ever, effectively rendering it inaccessible without VTOL from orbit, and NQ won't care. Sure, it may be an extreme worst case scenario, but NQ set a precedent which will allow it to happen instead of nipping the problem in the bud.

Also woo, first DU forum post.

Edited by Aedensin

All they had to do was add two or three rings of purple hexes around each market and none of this would have happened... They've had literally years to work on this but apparently nobody saw it coming...

weird.

Surely, building a deliberately difficult-to-see, shipbreaking obstruction in a high traffic area in the safe zone counts as exploiting a mechanic to grief players outside the PvP zones? In the same way as you'd get censured for building an insta-stop ship and being a mobile roadblock, forcing people who can't stop as fast to crash into you.

Apparently not. Which sucks.