Set Height limit to 5KM or I unsubscribe to DU.

Anauine

NQ, I am sad that you took the path to set the height limit to 1km and did not bring in the community for input on this matter... Instead, at launch you determined not to say anything really and then set the height limit to 1km. I spent over a year in DU perfecting a wondering tower only to be slapped in the face with a 1KM limit.. This is blasphemy and if changes are not made then in my heart I can no longer support DU.

Many people complain that it blocks markets etc. one solution for this would be to limit core height based on the distance from the market or give us an areas on a planet where 5km towers would be allowed. 

Reason for 5km height towers. The 5Km height is at the cusp of space on Alioth giving us the ability to setup towers/markets on alioth without hitting the atmosphere, and the ability to move products, ships, etc to a landing pad in space. The 5km height is also a very amazing view point over the plant and having a beautiful mega structure at this height is inspiring.

Why yes, I too enjoy the feeling of unadulterated rage when I crash into a 1vx tower that destroys half my ship on impact, the other half blowing up on touchdown. I had that pleasure happen to me back in alpha when I ran into a stray lonely core that was just floating up there. No voxels, no elements, just a core. Had a good laugh after I thought about what happened.

If the community worked on a planetary project and built (two) elevators at the poles or in mega cities then it would be a commonly known thing and generally accepted. Also, if they were thick and girthy, and visible from further out, that'd be great. If the game was more physics-based, that'd be awesome. Your elevator would actually have to be built to support itself and couldn't just be a couple of parallel voxel-thick rails.

Having to fly around ducking and dodging towers and landing pads doesn't appeal to me. It's slower and more wasteful on fuel when I could travel in a straight line, and I'd be far less trustworthy of automated flight scripts in such an environment.

If I wanted to fly through a forest, I'd do so on the ground in my cheap speeder.

9H later: Imagine this for a near miss coming into market 12 on a glide path in the middle of the night. Best beleieve because that's what's covering the north-west approach.

Spoiler

image.png

Edited by DarkHorizon

On 10/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, Anauine said:

NQ, I am sad that you took the path to set the height limit to 1km and did not bring in the community for input on this matter... Instead, at launch you determined not to say anything really and then set the height limit to 1km. I spent over a year in DU perfecting a wondering tower only to be slapped in the face with a 1KM limit.. This is blasphemy and if changes are not made then in my heart I can no longer support DU.

I'm not editing my above post on purpose. Just wanted to push this to your attention in case you're still watching.

Is there a height-limit to static constructs now? Dang, I'd wanted to get my floating platform back to its position 40km over a planet... I'll miss the micro-gravity assisted landings... Still, a small price to pay to not have to dodge space-spires during low orbit/atmo flight.

Both sides have their points. Pro: easy transport of goods without having to do re-entry or lift-off. Contra:  so many ships crash against those towers.

But there is a convenient solution: those space elevators that can be built. They give vertical access, yet it is very unlikely that another ship crashes against them. Maybe something to think about.