Exploit with mining units

DannyUK

yeah, great upgrade of the game, another limitation added as they saw a previously called feature now an exploid.

Sorry but in this thinkpatern everything can become an exploid. why dont we scrap all missions from today on as they clearly are exploided already since beta and knowingly.

56 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

yeah, great upgrade of the game, another limitation added as they saw a previously called feature now an exploid.

Sorry but in this thinkpatern everything can become an exploid. why dont we scrap all missions from today on as they clearly are exploided already since beta and knowingly.

Here an example: Just for the lulz I wanted to see how much time, effort or fun (oh God ...) is there to be had in doing this. So I went and bought a Territory Scanner for several millions, then I had to buy a Tier 2 Autominer, very expensive as well, then I went and scanned soooo many territories (on Alioth, I was looking for Tier 2 ore of course). Then out of ALL the scanned territories, only ONE (!) had Limestone in it, and get this - 1 Liter per hour!

So of course I set up everything and calibrated and what not, and started the Autominer - checked a few hours later and it had mined precisely 0 liters. Apparently it was mining just about 0.99 Liters per hour. And since you cannot operate with ore less than 1 liter (for instance you cannot move it to a container), the Autominer just stopped after the first session apparently.
Very well, I thought to myself, let me buy another tile next to it, then the "adjacent" bonus will kick in, lol.

Well, it is now at 1.01 Liters per hour. And for that territory I have to pay 500.000 q in Taxes (to the thin air apparently, and for no LOGICAL REASON whatsoever, just out of pure annoying the player).

So, I called Sam and McKay and they did the math: Just to be able to actually pay for that territory, so that it can remain active and "mining" for ONE SINGLE WEEK, I would need to run the autominer, for a WHOLE FREAKIN YEAR (in real time).

Of course in that year, every few days I would need to actually re-calibrate the damn thing, because if it falls below 1 Liter/h again - you guessed it - it will stop mining completely.

So, imagine the IMMENSE FUN to be had. One year long running the bloody thing, calibrating every second day, so that I can finally have 500k quanta to be able to pay 1 week of taxes. How exactly is this supposed to work? Naturally right after the first week the stupid territory will become inactive, so there goes the plan with the one year anyway ...

It's just mind boggling how they do everything possible to make this game annoying, tedious, boring, limited, restricted, time-gated and just bloody useless.

we the people

who are trying to find an enjoyable way

to  P L A Y this game,

by the people for the people

have had it with the corporate style of "playing"

a month after the release the one world is brimming with "user" content blueprinted in the 6 years of beta

New players taken aback by the steep learning curve starts mining and selling ore (some game play huh) 

Next they buy a 2-6 million blueprint and buys the elements and honeycomb and fly away in to the sunset.

We (me and my friend) started out in the beta for a few months  before the announcement of wipe.

Now we play the full Monty as we see fit. Yes we had blueprints from the beta but they stay mostly in the Nanopack. 

We bought blueprints of nice ships and used industries to manufacture A L L  the parts. Only tier 2 and 3 ore we had to buy since the ore scanner L and the uncommon mining units L was useless  in finding A N Y ore above tier 1.

Did I mention we have a day time job too? We are struggling to find reasons to stay in the "game"

Let's just finish  this ship and manufacture only warp cells and kergon fuel so we can explore this relatively empty universe and look at all the beta blueprinted mega complexes made in the image of god  before NQ goes bust.

A bleak future awaits us all. It's all too sad.

Believe all things

Hope all things

Endure all things

Edited by JohnNoGoodman

2 hours ago, Zarcata said:

WTF....the patchnotes today....

Talk about top notch DEV work! Imagine how much effort they must have put in for this alone. Hundreds of man-hours, at least. I bet they can hardly sleep at night with all the dev-crunch needed to squeeze out a complete steamer this massive.

• Updated the ingame credits.

On 10/6/2022 at 5:25 PM, NQ-Nicodemus said:

Hi, Danny_UK!

Thanks for letting us know about this. What you described is not considered an exploit.
This is a trade-off for an immediate chunk of ore that costs players ore in the longer term. It’s also limited by the number of available calibration charges.

We’d also advise that you use our support ticket system when reporting potential exploits. Thanks!

Nicodemus, what's up?

image.thumb.png.c02d37611b2318cc4664b1175f1c431d.png

This patch was really not expected.

I really believed that NQ would still let their economy die through gameplay exploits/abuse.

It's really good that this bug is fixed.

Really I had given it up personally, but all this is very good for the balance of the game.

There's going to be real interest in buying higher tier tiles.

Calibrating a tile over and over again was pretty cheesy, but for NQ to say it was working as intended only to disable the option without even a heads up is craptle. People made decisions based on the status quo that you set up and now anyone with a 1L tile that was only worth cheesing is going to feel cheated. It's been said before, but NQ desperately needs to start communicating with the player base. I know you have a community manager, but where is this person and what do they actually do?

This is a good change NQ, +1 from me.  Yesterday I pulled 140K of Natron from a tile with 8L/hour using two characters with default talents on calibrations.  This was always silly.

Unfortunately you had two massive issues which were cancelling each other out, this one and mass mission running.  Now the mission runners are generating multiples of 100m per day and you removed the infinite ore feature which was allowing them to spend it without trashing the market.  If all the ore prices suddenly skyrocket like they did in beta in this exact same situation it shouldn't come as a great surprise.

Fix missions as well and do it quickly!

You need a way for people that didn't get a good tile at launch to be able to mine T2 and better ore. You reset the game at launch to bring balance from a few mega rich players but you fix nothing. If your trying to force PVP to players that don't want to PVP then please refund our money for it was never advertised as a PVP only game.

This is complete BS. First you say it's not an exploit, then you stealth nerf it w/o warning. This has been working like this since beta was was put in place to help offset the amount of ore we lost when we were actually able to go out and mine.

Just a quick question, does NQ sit around thinking of different ways they can screw small orgs/individual players, or is it just a tax write-off so you're trying to lose players.

So I see another classic NQ blunder here...

My question becomes has the mining units actually been fixed?

What I mean by this is the ore calibration spawn bug that was severely crippling some players. Where randomly mining units that were working fine eventually stopped spawning their calibrated bonus ore.

Calibration bonus ore wasn't anywhere on the tile, wasn't within the construct, wasn't obstructed etc. NQ stopped replying to player tickets about this issue, and I know it was one of the reasons Creator left. Especially since players who couldn't get their bonus calibration ore were falling far behind everyone else, and couldn't even play casually without being severely starved for resources/quanta.

This game feels extremely poorly designed and under serviced for any player that doesn't want to hardcore play all day, daily, with multiple alts. I mean all this respectfully. 

I do think players not being able to get the ore they should when playing the game as intended should take a relatively high priority. Especially now that mining units are locked into position if recently calibrated, and the "fix" which usually doesn't even work is to pick up the mining unit and replace it and pray to NQ for good RNG.

On 10/6/2022 at 4:25 PM, NQ-Nicodemus said:

Hi, Danny_UK!

Thanks for letting us know about this. What you described is not considered an exploit.
This is a trade-off for an immediate chunk of ore that costs players ore in the longer term. It’s also limited by the number of available calibration charges.

We’d also advise that you use our support ticket system when reporting potential exploits. Thanks!

So screw everyone, we are going live with a major mechanic change, without any warning at all that we would get in other games? Fun. 

7 minutes ago, CyberDay said:

So screw everyone, we are going live with a major mechanic change, without any warning at all that we would get in other games? Fun. 

You know what would have happened if they gave us warning about this.

37 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

That said, scrap missions which are really exploited ;)

Missions dont add as much server load and 1,000 players calibrating.  Much better to have players idle for 6 hours floating thru space not pushing any buttons then to have them constantly clicking MU's for calibrations. 

Also, reading just wot dey rote, it doesn't fix the "chain calibration" problem (if it is one). It just means you can't keep using the same MU to calibrate, so you need as many MUs available as you have charges.

Now, they might have attached cooldowns to the ore pool rather than the specific MU, I've not tested it. But the patch notes suggest the CDs are based on the MU.

1 hour ago, Kezzle said:

Also, reading just wot dey rote, it doesn't fix the "chain calibration" problem (if it is one). It just means you can't keep using the same MU to calibrate, so you need as many MUs available as you have charges.

Now, they might have attached cooldowns to the ore pool rather than the specific MU, I've not tested it. But the patch notes suggest the CDs are based on the MU.

unfortunaly, you can't calibrate if your mining extracor is not runing, and you can't start your mining extractor if you have 0L remaining...