Would you want voice chat in the game?

aliensalmon

Voice Chat  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want voice chat in the game?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, but you would need to have a large amount of choice on what you can ban / who you can hear. Planet wide / system wide / specific groups (Including orgs) / parties / local tile / space region / specific people / etc.

IMO if it was implemented without lots of controls, it would either be no use or you'd end up being harassed, which no one wants.

48 minutes ago, space_man said:

No, but there needs to be some sort of pre/post PVP communication. So many times I've been chased down by Legion and gotten away. Would love a bit of PvP

banter, since they don't accept friend requests.

Or it could be incorporated into the chat system, thus a limited range local voice with individual control over hearing/transmitting on that channel.

waste of development resoruces, it has been done in other MMOs and was universally panned by players each time, even back in days when voice comms like vent or TS cost actual money to run. 

Closer integration with discord may have benefits eventually, but there's so many essential aspects of game , that are either stubs or absent completely  that reiventing this wheel is a fool's errand.

To pick a low hanging fruit, fixing friendlists' "see me everywhere i go" , and absolute lack of any grouping features other than common chat and total absence of standard FoF indentification are more pressing matters. Heck you can't even form flight wing, much less fleet in DU.

13 hours ago, Leniver said:

No, we have discord/guilded. 
And they plenty other things to work on.

So in my experience Discord not as useful as what I described in my post (I might not have made that clear in my post) and in order to make Discord that useful, you would need to spend time making it that way. I suppose you could argue the players could make there own Discord server that works that way but it would give that particular group the only people to have something so useful. The alternative is the developer integrating discord with the game in a way that facilitates this but that would be taking the time up on this that you are worried about loosing.

My feeling is the voice chat should be for everyone in a useful fashion.  I have tried some PVP (Another game) with discord and it is useful getting everyone in the channel but you really need people to be able to join more than one channel because Dual Universe combat has and is going to have a lot of players fighting at the same time and having everyone talking in the same channel at the same time is not going to work. Essentially the team members will need a channel with their team leader and the team leader also needs another channel to talk to the people above etc. as this will allow instructions to be passed on seamlessly and clearly.  Anyway that is just an example of how I think voice should work in one area of this game.

Lastly thing I thought I would point out is, the question does not ask how important it should be over other things they are working just if you could have it would you like it in game. It could end up being one of the last things added to the developers list, if they decided adding it is something they are going to do. Personally I think they should add player weapons first since I think that would make boarding and defending ships more interesting especially as you could add internal turrets to your ships too, so you can fight to the very end (Note: I never quite got to try PVP in this game yet so this is something I imagine will be good).

But fair enough if it is not something you feel is needed then your no is a no 👍

12 hours ago, Bazzy_505 said:

waste of development resoruces, it has been done in other MMOs and was universally panned by players each time, even back in days when voice comms like vent or TS cost actual money to run. 

There are players in Star Citizen who use that game's VOIP extensively. I'm not sure why it's successful there. I still wouldn't want NQ wasting their significantly more limited dev resources on it.