Industry not running server side anymore.

apollo0510

Trying the steam democlient, I found something that is highly annoying:

At least the nanocrafter seems to run on the client side.

When the player logs out with a long jobqeue in the nanocrafter,

the material is NOT passed on anymore to a waiting industry.

Only when the player logs in again, then the nanocrafter output

is flushed, and the waiting industry starts producing.

Has it always been like this, or did they "optimize" something ?

A similar problem exists now, when using nanocrafter and beeing in VR.

upon leaving the VR, the nanocrafter output is flushed immediately, but

the linked container is not ready. Therefore typically the nanocrafter jobqeue

is stalled because of missing components, and the time the player spent

in VR is lost.

Are these bugs new ?

Edited by Ninator

You can actually use this to your advantage if you understand how it works.  So long as you log out with an active job you can have jobs queued against a linked container which doesn't yet have all the materials for the jobs.  When you log back in it will try to catch up the queue and this will work so long as the requisite materials are there when you log back in. 

So you can bank some manufacturing on an alt and then go gather what you need.  When you have enough raw material you log the alt back in and insta-build.

51 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

You can actually use this to your advantage if you understand how it works.  So long as you log out with an active job you can have jobs queued against a linked container which doesn't yet have all the materials for the jobs.  When you log back in it will try to catch up the queue and this will work so long as the requisite materials are there when you log back in. 

So you can bank some manufacturing on an alt and then go gather what you need.  When you have enough raw material you log the alt back in and insta-build.

lol. true. abuse ftw.

1 hour ago, Ninator said:

lol. true. abuse ftw.

Well, it's not really abuse.  You do still have to spend the time making everything.  I'm just talking about how to use offline nanocrafting time effectively.

You should be able to set up 4 characters with nano pack queues and a shared container.  You could have one finish a job and another character's job starts and uses it.  And if all if the characters are logged in it works.  But DU doesn't let you run the game multiple times on your computer (mine could run 4 copies, it just doesn't work) and the nano pack queue doesn't work offline so in order to get the value out of the nano pack queues for all your characters you need to use them the way they actually work.

There was a time, like maybe 2 years ago, where the nanocrafter did run offline. At least that is what I remember. Anyway, it has been like this for a long time.

The technique that Zeddrick mentioned works really well. The main thing to keep in mind with doing this though is that the queue will not be completed when you log in if it was stalled when you logged off. For example, if you have a character queue up only product, like Silumin and Steel, but there is no ore to make the 1st step in the queue, it will stall. When you log back in later and there is the proper pures in the container, it will not have used them. It will still be stalled looking for ore.

To get around this, I will usually just add a step that I know will run as the 1st step, before I log off. Making hydrogen works great.  It just gives you enough time to log off with a running queue.