Thanks for all the Fish...

Gunhand

Last night I took one last slow walk around my complex on Sanctuary. I symbolically shut down the factory, flipped the switch on the mining units, deactivated the DSAT and sat in the chair on my rooftop observatory and took in the view one last time. The silence was deafening. 

I felt a little emotional as the time I'd spent working on all this had been one of the most difficult parts of my life. Every time things had been difficult, I'd found myself retreating into this game as a form of therapy to help me through the events going on around many of us for the past few years. I think in a world that feels totally out of control at times, its amazing that we have the technology to be able to immerse yourself into being somewhere else like this.

Out of the probable thousands of games I've played since being a youngling I can say proudly that Dual Universe is one of the very few that has made it into my upper echelon of games that I love and have spent a significant amount of time with.

So I just wanted to write this positive thread to say thanks to NQ for the development of this game. It's not a perfect game by any means, there's still glaring omissions in features as well as bugs galore but its a special game to me nonetheless. I sincerely hope it manages to ride the storm over the coming weeks, months and hopefully years to reach its full potential as I feel it deserves it. I've played all the other similar and inspired games such as Elite Dangerous, No Mans Sky, Space Engineers, Starbase, Star Citizen, Empyrion, and Eve Online but this one holds my interest in a way the others didn't. 

I took one final screenshot from the observatory before descending the lift one final time to the habitat area that I never got around to working on. The enormous empty room contained a solitary bed and a bonsai tree. I made one more cursory check of my Nanopack to make sure all the blueprints I would need for the coming journey were there before laying down on the bed and stared at the slightly janky ceiling voxels.

Lets see whats out there...

Well said. I emotionally checked out of DU in July, but both looking forward to finally starting up for real and worried that it will suck now. I guess we'll see in five days. This time, I'll be focused on getting my own stuff going rather than trying to support a quick start for an org, so maybe it will be more fun than the start of beta (which seriously sucked).

Be glad you didn't sign up a few months from earlier from the initial launch. This is my fourth, and I didn't play that much alpha at all.

I'm still unsure wether I'll put in some elbow grease to get some tiles where floating peni will be in commonly used flight paths, or if I will make a point out of not playing for a year or two to prove people's fixed ideas didn't matter: that the game can be joined at any time without putting everybody through the negative fun first month.

Like really I defy any wipists to show me a sandbox where a fresh game is as unfun as in DU. Eat login queues and get dissapointed!

On 9/24/2022 at 1:40 AM, Cybob19 said:

Be glad you didn't sign up a few months from earlier from the initial launch. This is my fourth, and I didn't play that much alpha at all.

I'm still unsure wether I'll put in some elbow grease to get some tiles where floating peni will be in commonly used flight paths, or if I will make a point out of not playing for a year or two to prove people's fixed ideas didn't matter: that the game can be joined at any time without putting everybody through the negative fun first month.

Like really I defy any wipists to show me a sandbox where a fresh game is as unfun as in DU. Eat login queues and get dissapointed!

i know I believe I understand what I think you just said but I’m not sure I’m certain that what I read is quite what you meant, if you catch my drift. 

On 9/22/2022 at 9:02 AM, Daphne Jones said:

Well said. I emotionally checked out of DU in July, but both looking forward to finally starting up for real and worried that it will suck now. I guess we'll see in five days. This time, I'll be focused on getting my own stuff going rather than trying to support a quick start for an org, so maybe it will be more fun than the start of beta (which seriously sucked).

Welcome back.  It will be interesting to see how many of the original Alpha and later Beta players come back.  The Demo server has been pretty lightly loaded, with a peak of under 300 players.  I jumped back in on the PTS RC 1.0 server for the few days it was up, and have spend a few on the Demo server.  Now just waiting...  and hoping...  So many things can go wrong - I hope they pull it off.  

I'm still not happy about Schematics, and fear that it won't take much to get to the point where my character is simply making schematics all day long to feed a fairly mediocre factory, but time will tell.  Of course, annoyed at the loss of most of my ~100M talent points I had.  But I can live with both, grudgingly.

Currently the lack of an announced launch time is giving me an ulcer. 

5 hours ago, Jinxed said:

i know I believe I understand what I think you just said but I’m not sure I’m certain that what I read is quite what you meant, if you catch my drift. 

Wow.  Nice hack of that quote <smile>.  Didn't Greenspan say that originally?  I had thought it was a Nixon quote, but can't find it being attributed to him.

"I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU THINK I SAID, BUT I AM NOT SURE THAT YOU REALIZE THAT WHAT YOU HEARD IS NOT WHAT I MEANT"

1 hour ago, Pleione said:

Wow.  Nice hack of that quote <smile>.  Didn't Greenspan say that originally?  I had thought it was a Nixon quote, but can't find it being attributed to him.

"I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU THINK I SAID, BUT I AM NOT SURE THAT YOU REALIZE THAT WHAT YOU HEARD IS NOT WHAT I MEANT"

well spotted. It’s has been attributed to several people from the US senate including as you say Nixon and Greenspan. But I don’t think it’s actually that old.

I had always been under the impression that it was actually Robert J McCloskey who first said it. 

He worked for the department of state and was a press spokesman known for his way with words.  

I first started to see it in about 1984 where it was photostated and reworked into oblivion and I came across it many times in quick succession in places such as on my Headmaster’s desk at highschool, pinned to my friend’s fridge, hung in a frame on the wall in our local clubhouse - and even in a doctor’s or dentist’s office, as I recall. 

I remember memorizing it perfectly to impress the adults. Lol

It was basically a kind of a proto-meme.  

38 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

well spotted. It’s has been attributed to several people from the US senate including as you say Nixon and Greenspan. But I don’t think it’s actually that old.

I had always been under the impression that it was actually Robert J McCloskey who first said it. 

He worked for the department of state and was a press spokesman known for his way with words.  

I first started to see it in about 1984 where it was photostated and reworked into oblivion and I came across it many times in quick succession in places such as on my Headmaster’s desk at highschool, pinned to my friend’s fridge, hung in a frame on the wall in our local clubhouse - and even in a doctor’s or dentist’s office, as I recall. 

I remember memorizing it perfectly to impress the adults. Lol

It was basically a kind of a proto-meme.  

There are some advantages of being older than dirt.  I was out of college by then and into my 2nd real job - but that timing sounds about right.  Another classic was "Today is the first day of the rest of your life".  I remember first hearing that from like 8th grade, call it the late 60s, maybe early 70s.