TRY THE GAME FOR FREE ON STEAM - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

1 hour ago, Honvik said:

Please start to reply to peoples posts there and generate some more positive experiences from a Dev side to the new players.  So far nothing from NQ on Steam.

Honvik

NQ not communicating?  Hello.  This is their status quo.  The Trial server was up for over a day before they announced it...

On 9/21/2022 at 3:56 AM, SirJohn85 said:

So that it can't happen again like it did at the start of the beta in 2020. A lot of people who left just left their speeder all over the place at the beginning and that brought the performance in those areas to its knees, which wasn't really a good experience for anyone. Unless they can offer a better solution or performance, that's the right approach. 

Even if it were only a few days, that would be very counterproductive if someone who finds out after 1 hour that the game is not for him and then it sits there for X days.

That’s why you make a system where things can  despawn  when the acount is removed 

if the game that will go live on steam is the same i have played 2 weeks ago then good luck folks.

This is not a game, it's a rough, unfinished, subscription-based demo of a real game, and i'm so sorry to say that because i would love so badly to like this game :(

19 hours ago, matteor84 said:

if the game that will go live on steam is the same i have played 2 weeks ago then good luck folks.

This is not a game, it's a rough, unfinished, subscription-based demo of a real game, and i'm so sorry to say that because i would love so badly to like this game :(

Back in early 2018, having digested the Roadmap, and played a round or two of 72 and 96 hour monthly test windows, I had a dream:  I wanted to build the Stargate Universe ship and, expecting to do so rather slowly, go explore the Galaxy and when I found a suitable star system, spend a month or three and build a Stargate to it.  Bit-by-bit, piece-by-piece, that dream has been dismantled.  First big hit:  Industry would no longer run on Dynamic cores.  Second bit hit:  Galaxy?  What Galaxy?  ONE separate star system, some day?  Third big hit and I was out:  Schematics (left after they were introduced in 0.23). 

Ok, so they fixed schematics so I don't need to visit a marketplace routinely.  Still feels like I'll never be able to run a full factory again - simply not enough hours in the day to make all the schematics required to keep it running.  On Demo, I've run out of Tier 1 Product schematics (to make the alloys) multiple times and that's just a few days into a run on a S core factory.  What are the chances I could spend a year and build a real factory on a L core (or the once rumored XL core - remember when we were suppose to be able to build the Death Star?)  Fine.  I need to drag some friends in and form an Org.  How many?  One thing to have a half-dozen friends playing (good luck finding 6 industrialist that don't want to PVP), but I doubt 6 could make enough schematics.  Need 100?  Did that in real life (use to have a crew of 50 reporting to me), not really interested in doing that in my virtual fantasy/recreation game.  How could you recruit?  "Need people to log in daily and feed a few dozen machines schematics.  Only people willing to commit to doing do daily for at least 3 months will be considered..."  Yeah, right.

My HOPE, and pretty much the only reason I'm returned, is that over the next year they see the error of their ways and fix this thing.  In the meantime, me and a few friends will do what we can, until it just becomes a grind.  Or Starfield comes out...

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RussBigfoot said:

the dual universe demo on steam doesn't give you much of a chance. They wiped it out every six days so you don't have time to build up skills to do anything.

Goal is simply to give you a feeling for the game in a somewhat simplified environment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2022 at 3:31 PM, Pleione said:

Goal is simply to give you a feeling for the game in a somewhat simplified environment.

It sounds fairly realistic to me:
You spend a fair amount of time trying to get things done in a semi-fun way, realise there's not enough hours in the day to actually do what you want to do because everything is time-gated to oblivion and then you lose all your progress.

You have to appreciate the irony :D 

Personally, I like how you can use it to see that "Unknown Server Errors" are still occurring on industries, just like in Alpha!  Nice that they haven't changed that "feature".  You can lose time just like we have always been able to to.

Oh, and when playing with teammates - apparently "he who starts" an industries skill override skills applied to a factory, reducing output.  Another cool "feature".

9 hours ago, Pleione said:

Personally, I like how you can use it to see that "Unknown Server Errors" are still occurring on industries, just like in Alpha!  Nice that they haven't changed that "feature".  You can lose time just like we have always been able to to.

Oh, and when playing with teammates - apparently "he who starts" an industries skill override skills applied to a factory, reducing output.  Another cool "feature".

Hold on second....🤔

Are you implying that the game wasn't ready for launch, just like when it launched into "beta 🤣".

Almost seems like in 2 years they will try launching again, maybe call it "ultra finished, now with less bug's "

And obviously they'd have to double the time on the steam tryout as obviously there would be more time gates after 2 more years.

And they could then double the price again.

"Yea but guys, now it's Really ready"

🤣🤣🤣

Edited by ZeeckZero

• 2 weeks later...

The steam demo seems to have several problems. Players on steam report crashes and performance problems.

NQ, where is Your presence in the steam forums? Why are You not responding to questions, problems and misinformation in the steam forums?

On 11/14/2022 at 6:20 AM, Costanius said:

The steam demo seems to have several problems. Players on steam report crashes and performance problems.

NQ, where is Your presence in the steam forums? Why are You not responding to questions, problems and misinformation in the steam forums?

They don't believe in talking with players, answering tickets, or customer service in general.

That's a choice they made many years ago...because this has been a criticism since forever with no improvement. 

I think they see that their Steam launch has failed very badly -- with peak players already less than half of their all-time high of just 792...

When barely 300 are playing at peak just 2 months after release, that's an absolute indisputable failure.

So in that respect, I almost don't blame NQ for ignoring Steam...although that only guarantees more and more rapid churn, so it's not exactly a winning strategy.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I am almost surprised that their promo did nothing....but Steam is a competitive place.

Games with much better reviews and more players are offering much better discounts than 20% off your first month.

Signing up to a sub is also a commitment, and people like to trawl these sales and add stuff to their library for some future rainy day...so committing to a sub might not fit well with the psychology of Steam sales in general. 

And of course...Valve isn't going to promote DU very highly because its metrics are horrible.

They do not screw around with giving games "a chance" if their stats are not solid, and I suspect DU's conversion rate is not great....

9 hours ago, Jinxed said:

Average players is now well below 100 for the last 30 days.

And I wonder how many are alts...

What's really sad is that I'm playing another pre-pre-alpha game (less than 500 invited) and we average 250ish people online at any time.  The devs chat with  us constantly, bug reports are acknowledged within a day, typically with a heartfelt "Thank you", suggestions are being implemented routinely, and acknowledged with thanks, they have a public bug tracking and public suggestion tracking system, and the team is a fraction of the size of Novaquark.

18 hours ago, Pleione said:

What's really sad is that I'm playing another pre-pre-alpha game (less than 500 invited) and we average 250ish people online at any time.  The devs chat with  us constantly, bug reports are acknowledged within a day, typically with a heartfelt "Thank you", suggestions are being implemented routinely, and acknowledged with thanks, they have a public bug tracking and public suggestion tracking system, and the team is a fraction of the size of Novaquark.

Oof. that hurts... I'm currently just burning DACs until something happens or the game closes.
Not interested in "investing" my limited time in this right now.

Currently playing Satisfactory to ... ahem... satisfy... my desire to build factories... It's a lot of fun and was on sale for about $10... basically the cost of 20 days of Dual...

I'm definitely not extending my 4th alt - the one I created using Steam at launch.  One other I'm funding with DACs, along with my main.  Have 2 I subscribed for 13 months.  Basically its become a chore but I log in daily to run my T2 & T3 calibration runs, and every 5-6 days for the T1 Sanctuary/Haven runs.  Keeping my factory fed with schematics, and spending any extra cash on Warp Cell schematics.  So probably average 2 hours a day, down from 14.

On 1/28/2023 at 7:24 AM, Jinxed said:

Currently playing Satisfactory to ... ahem... satisfy... my desire to build factories... It's a lot of fun and was on sale for about $10

Truly a great game, and for $10....hard to go wrong! I've spent an obscene amount of time in Satisfactory, which is perhaps one reason why I find DU's version of industrialization so boring and shallow.

I wouldn't ever expect that same level of scale from an MMO, but there's some great factory games for NQ to draw inspiration from...

If only their leadership believed that DU was a video game, maybe they'd be able to look to other products in similar genres and understand why their "designs" so frequently fail to work! 

• 9 months later...

The whole demo is a waste of time because it doesn't contain the community of DU which is part of what makes it great. No one can get an idea for the game playing an isolated instance of the game with no awareness of what people have built and created. I propose that the Game Fee of $15 go towards 2 months of subscription time.  In this way people will get an extra month for free and 2 months is a better time frame to judge the game.  The demo is useless IMHO.  2 for 1 months on the Game purchase is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think it should be a demo - I think it should be you get 1 month free playtime on the main server when you buy it on Steam, and then you are given discounted options for subscribing after that, say 3 months sub is 30% off, 6 months is 40% off, 12 months is 50% discount.

The community, from my experience of returning to the game very recently after previously playing before "the wipe", is very accommodating and almost falls over themselves to help new players, which is the best way to get into the game. Offers of interest free loans for a ship to be able to go asteroid mining... invites to corporations to get involved in PvP or other group activities... Lots of other advice and warm welcomes.... it's all there on the main server. Why put new players into a cold, uninviting environment where progress is meaningless, when there is a community ready to welcome and help new people, and lots of existing constructions and ambitious projects to inspire those people to stick around?

2 minutes ago, Lorna_Sicling said:

I don't think it should be a demo - I think it should be you get 1 month free playtime on the main server when you buy it on Steam, and then you are given discounted options for subscribing after that, say 3 months sub is 30% off, 6 months is 40% off, 12 months is 50% discount.

The community, from my experience of returning to the game very recently after previously playing before "the wipe", is very accommodating and almost falls over themselves to help new players, which is the best way to get into the game. Offers of interest free loans for a ship to be able to go asteroid mining... invites to corporations to get involved in PvP or other group activities... Lots of other advice and warm welcomes.... it's all there on the main server. Why put new players into a cold, uninviting environment where progress is meaningless, when there is a community ready to welcome and help new people, and lots of existing constructions and ambitious projects to inspire those people to stick around?

Because who tries the game it is not necessarily a new player. They don't want some player try the game and start to mess up with things that then are permanent. You can't really have a trial in a permanent universe. What they should do anyway is giving the possibility in the trial version for players to be able to try everything in the game.