QoL - Improving the little things

Koffye

(QoL - Quality of life)

Please change the way the information are displayed in the construct information.

It is in the current state messy and we have to search for a long period to find the correct element in the list.

My proposition:

- The element names should be rather put in alphabetical order

or

- Put the elements of the same category in their seperate drop-down menu

image.png.80151173278e15082f49383d904df2fd.png

1 hour ago, Koffye said:

Warp Drive - Wrong mass center of the element.

Mass center is not equals with the texture. Axis is off center 6 blocks

image.thumb.png.6f4893445b3c20066b49b2d66d5ae0ee.png

Ugh, they still haven't fixed this? It's been reported so many times by now.....

When you're using shift-drag to split a stack, have <CR>  (aka <RETURN> aka <ENTER>) apply the number that's entered into the quantity field of the dialog (if it's a valid value) rather than requiring a mouse-click on the "OK" button. Similarly with Rename Element dialogs. It's pretty much default Windows behaviour, why step away from it to make life harder? There are probably other dialogs where it'd be appropriate, too.

9 hours ago, Hazaatan said:

The devs have been ignoring the forums for 7+ years...  Any good ideas you guys come up with have already been covered and ignored several times.   Have a nice day.

I don't think they are ignoring the forum.
But I agree with you that they could more often respond to certain posts that raise the level and bring constructive discussion.

I have done myself a big post with several QoL improvement, some of them have been implemented.

Not sure if that was due to the forum post or if they had already some tickets opens about them.

Thanks @Koffye for all those very precise points.

Edited by Leniver

I’ve given up writing anything positive here or giving my opinions about how the game should proceed. No point. 

There’s so much missing stuff. So many placeholders.  And a lot of those things (like the off-centered COM of the warp drive) haven’t been addressed for literally years.  

By now, I just see this game as a building game, like Second Life back in the early 2000’s but without the fancy object scripting and creation language. 

5 hours ago, Jinxed said:

There’s so much missing stuff. So many placeholders. 

I feel that.

Guess i start this threat to collect most of the problems,.

5 hours ago, Leniver said:

Thanks @Koffye for all those very precise points.

Let's try to collect more 'work points' in this threat.

On 9/15/2022 at 3:05 AM, Koffye said:

(QoL - Quality of life)

Please change the way the information are displayed in the construct information.

It is in the current state messy and we have to search for a long period to find the correct element in the list.

My proposition:

- The element names should be rather put in alphabetical order

or

- Put the elements of the same category in their seperate drop-down menu

image.png.80151173278e15082f49383d904df2fd.png

Technically, if this really matters to you, write a script. You can pull all elements from the core, sort them by class, name, etc. The ID's are a B* to parse, but still a viable option to make a tool that does exactly what your asking for.

9 hours ago, space_man said:

Technically, if this really matters to you, write a script. You can pull all elements from the core, sort them by class, name, etc. The ID's are a B* to parse, but still a viable option to make a tool that does exactly what your asking for.

Good joke. 

1.)

A well designed and sorted interface is a basic need.  It is even a core requirement. There should be no reason to handcraft an solution with ingame elements and a LUA script.

2.)

Same goes for the ridiculous HUD which NQ provided us. It is missplaced, to big and takes to much of your screen. We are even not able to change the size of the HUD element. Let me place them where i want them. This have to come as basic fundament in this game and no LUA script should be required for that.

(Connect a warp drive, radar, weapons and half of your screen is conquered with the HUD. Put Arch Hud into your seat enjoy your new view. It will be messy).

(Don't support this lazy environment with "you can code a solution yourself". The answer is no to this. They have to bring the basic function first into their game.)

On 9/24/2022 at 4:24 AM, Koffye said:

Good joke. 

1.)

A well designed and sorted interface is a basic need.  It is even a core requirement. There should be no reason to handcraft an solution with ingame elements and a LUA script.

2.)

Same goes for the ridiculous HUD which NQ provided us. It is missplaced, to big and takes to much of your screen. We are even not able to change the size of the HUD element. Let me place them where i want them. This have to come as basic fundament in this game and no LUA script should be required for that.

(Connect a warp drive, radar, weapons and half of your screen is conquered with the HUD. Put Arch Hud into your seat enjoy your new view. It will be messy).

(Don't support this lazy environment with "you can code a solution yourself". The answer is no to this. They have to bring the basic function first into their game.)

While I don't disagree that the default hud is trash especially when many elements are aded, player made lua is a massive part of the game.

On 9/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, Koffye said:

Warp Drive - Wrong mass center of the element.

Mass center is not equals with the texture. Axis is off center 6 blocks

image.thumb.png.6f4893445b3c20066b49b2d66d5ae0ee.png

Why should it be at the center? Perhaps the warp drive internals cause this.

3 hours ago, Emptiness said:

Why should it be at the center? Perhaps the warp drive internals cause this.

It doesn't need to be center but there should be a visual distinction in the model to offer a plausible reason for the offset.  As it stands the warp drive cumulatively wrecks the way ships handle when you add one.  The ship center of mass does not return to the original orientation if you remove it meaning if placed and removed several times you will eventually need to despawn the entire ship or move all of your engines to one side to compensate.  

@NQ - Either fix warp drive center of mass or give us a confirmation protected single button "disassemble ship" option to compensate.