Shifting Ore Seed's

Honvik

One of the issues around the current 'ore mechanic' on planets is that the ore seed never changes at all.  Why not implement a shifting ore seed mechanic that every so often it shifts and therefore ore seed is redistributed.  With Auto-mining it reminds me so much of Star Wars Galaxies mining and how ore shifted every so often and you had to chase the quality/quantity for your production.  It was not unheard of spending sometime to find a new field and planting your mining units.

In DU it lends to find it and keep it forever if you pay the tax on the tile.  That means if someone got lucky then they are set up forever.  Equally a new player wont have much chance.  It also means on NQ's side mass Automining on an epic sale wont just see it 'planted on the planet' that player or org will need to think and shift it around.  

Thanks

Honvik

Hmmm, do ore pools on planet Earth "move around" and somehow change their positions at all times?
Why not making little ore dwarfs dancing around, from tile to tile and we have to run after them trying to catch them to get some ore?

I do not favorize this suggestion of shifting ore seeds, to be very honest.

Edited by Hirnsausen

5 hours ago, Hirnsausen said:

Why not making little ore dwarfs dancing around, from tile to tile and we have to run after them trying to catch them to get some ore?

I know you jest, but if I can pew-pew the dwarfs, the hell yeah!

Permanent mining outposts is not an engaging game play. Game loops should be just that, loops. Mining units are not loops, they are linear game play with never ending profit, as long as you pay the tile tax. Mining and searching for the ore should be engaging and rewarding, not a game of waiting for a timer.

5 hours ago, Yoarii said:

Permanent mining outposts is not an engaging game play.

But if territory warfare ever happens then it would make sense that the ore types never change. I think the ore should deplete over time while mining, and recharge while not mining it, though. It is too static right now.

9 hours ago, Yoarii said:

Permanent mining outposts is not an engaging game play.

When (if) we get territory warfare then only safe space HQ tiles will be permanent.  The non-HQ tiles in safe space will degrade but cannot be forced open early.  The rest?  Only yours so long as you (and your friends) can hold it.  I know that isn't what you were trying to describe, but I believe that is the reason it was set up the way we have it now; to prepare for TW.

The ore should not move, at least not without an in-game/in-lore reason for it.  I could see meteors being a viable option to supplement surface mining, even if it is just the lore to 'splain respawning until the server and client tech can reasonably handle simulating it.

1 hour ago, Wyndle said:

I know that isn't what you were trying to describe, but I believe that is the reason it was set up the way we have it now; to prepare for TW.

Perhaps, or it was the simplest, most low-cost alternative they could come up with. Throwing TW into the mix takes the whole thing in a different direction entirely. Adding TW to existing planets after release is probably going to be pretty hard on the builder community that have no interested in pvp - unless they publish a roadmap clearly stating that planets outside the current safe zone *will* become TW-enabled.

13 minutes ago, Yoarii said:

unless they publish a roadmap clearly stating that planets outside the current safe zone *will* become TW-enabled.

I know you are correct on this.  I felt that they were a little more clear on TW outside of safe becoming a thing than they have been on many other features.  Markee Dragon has been vocal on this topic as well.