Ask Aphelia #14 Launch Special Edition - Discussion thread

NQ-Nyota

1 hour ago, Wyndle said:

The impression I get is that they don't want production to be "AFK play" nor do they want a set it and forget it system regardless of incongruities their chosen course may cause.  I don't feel up to digging through CCP's old change logs to see when/why they added their version of this system or any of the public discussions about it there just to make a point.  At least with the current implementation it can be tuned as needed without as much risk of breaking stuff.

The point I was making there is that NQ seem to be taking elements of eve and putting them into a different game but I don't really think they understand what made eve what it was.  So the result is a bunch of broken features designed to 'fix' the problem that people aren't playing DU in the market-centric way they played eve.

But eve is a different game with a different economy, different things to do and a different player mindset.  If you try to push DU players to behave like eve players it will just annoy them.  Let people play in survival mode with no quanta of they want.  They will be happy and make the rest of the game better. 

I have actually seen a group trying to play eve that way.  It was impossible and they gave up in 6 months.  If it's easy to do it then people will do it.  And if you can build everything from the same 20 raw ingredients which you get in the same way then it's easy to do.  So accept it and let them have fun.

Or strap on bird wings and jump off something.  You never know, it might work his time.

@Zeddrick I got your point about transposing systems from one game to another to which I speculated a possible reason for why NQ chose to copy said system.  I neither rebuked your point nor gave NQ quarter in having taken that path.  The minds (and in some cases the personnel) behind this whole shindig came from Eve Online, craving a similar experience in a more malleable environment.  I can't fault them for taking design queues from the game that inspired this one.  Entire systems copied whole cloth would be a different story.

One of the biggest hurdles that NQ faces is pulling the average Eve player into DU.  For this to be possible all of the folks that DU reanimated from EQ Landmark have to be capable of making the player-made content that NQ promised with a sandbox.  DU has two disparate groups of players looking for an entirely different experience from one another that must be able to find a middle ground or DU flops. 

You may be on target regarding DU leaning too heavily on Eve.  Instead of trying to plaster over holes with the same stuff CCP used to cobble together their current version of Eve it would be better to get a certified economist on staff to find an array of potential solutions to a problem and then pick the best (or least impacting) of those options.  If NQ doesn't have an economist on staff (or actively looking to hire) then it doesn't matter how much we or NQ do, the game will eventually grind to a halt.

The average eve player isn't going to want to play DU any time soon of ever for a number of reasons including the culture of the comunity.  What DU needs to do is stop chasing away the people who *do* want to play by trying to get them to play in a different way.  It really is that easy.

I'm in a discord where there are lots of people who used to play DU.  Most don't any more since 0.23.  Many of them were never interested in the quanta-market based game but wanted to mine/build everything themselves and the current changes don't really seem to have them excited.  They should have let people play the way they wanted to play and built features on top to make that easier.