Starter Aid for New Players

CodeInfused

I've put together a brief infographic to help new players figure out what they could do after finishing the intro tutorial. It's not meant to be a full guide, just a jumping off point to give some direction. Image here, but also on Reddit in case it gets downsized.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DualUniverse/comments/wqxu0s/

RDT_20220821_1315538220533596017004008.thumb.jpg.c61d5b16ff5a357f087f6a8a2df7eee6.jpg

Have to admit there's a huge learning curve but I like that.

My only concern at this point is what I read about asteroids.

If I understand it right that's the end goal for mining and they only spawn on Saturadays.

Is that still right?! Do you as an experienced player see any problems down the road with such a limited resource?!

They spawn on Saturdays, but are there all week to be discovered, the fact that it’s a Saturday refresh isn’t a big deal (I’m sure will be better in the future).

I like the mechanic generally, it requires some effort to get to them, and the ones in the pvp zone have a good risk/reward trade off.

People will be in pvp ships in the first week easily. And keep in mind, this aid is designed to help players brand new to the game who need some direction on what to tackle next :) So alpha/beta vets likely already know all this content.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:25 PM, CodeInfused said:

I've put together a brief infographic to help new players figure out what they could do after finishing the intro tutorial. It's not meant to be a full guide, just a jumping off point to give some direction. Image here, but also on Reddit in case it gets downsized.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DualUniverse/comments/wqxu0s/

Good Jobs

• 4 weeks later...

I do plan on doing some Lua videos for youtube soon as well. Instead of trying to compress that info into a graphic. I've thought about trying to get some collaborators and build individual infographics for tips on categories of the game.. such as [voxel tools], [asteroid mining tools], [rdms (maybe a video instead)], etc.

5 hours ago, CodeInfused said:

I do plan on doing some Lua videos for youtube soon as well. Instead of trying to compress that info into a graphic. I've thought about trying to get some collaborators and build individual infographics for tips on categories of the game.. such as [voxel tools], [asteroid mining tools], [rdms (maybe a video instead)], etc.

Personally I prefer the written word. But lets not jump ahead of ourselves. I had seen this before you posted it here, its fairly high up in what pops in the searches on google about DU (enough for me to grab it and find out about it anyway)

This little one-pager you wrote is probably one of the best concise short and sweet guides I have seen yet for DU, so you can be a little proud of yourself, its ok.

As for youtube, its a challenge. Not to say I do not appreciate youtube guides, I do, but the problem is that if something is mention in it and you forget it and you wanna go back and search what the person said/showed and when... the hunt begins. Which wastes a lot of time. 
Youtrube tried to put markers but people that make videos have to use these like contents/chapters guide.

Anyway don't get me wrong. I do not mind people doing them on the fly and failing I do not mind the funny accents, its just that the written word is far more efficient for indexing if done properly of course, which in your case you did better than most. Kudos CodeInfused!

PS: at some point I considered the written word as a form of time travel. Knowledge travels instantly through time, when you read something written by someone. Makes you appreciate how Socrates sure had tied himself in a bind when he campaigned against textbooks and wanted classrooms, i.e. live session free-form teaching, instead.  There was a reason of course for it. It is an important one, but beyond the topic of this discussion. 

7 hours ago, Pelorios said:

Youtrube tried to put markers but people that make videos have to use these like contents/chapters guide.

Lately I have noticed that YouTube shows a graph of most played along the timeline when mouse over.  It isn't as good as a creator setting chapters but it drastically reduces searching for content within a video. 

I don't entirely disagree, obviously as I made this infographic :) However, the key advantage of a video format is in demonstration; the ability to show a visual interaction in seconds that might otherwise take several awkward descriptions or still pictures to accomplish.