Initial play -- unable to activate pilot seat .. now on ground (on foot it appears) and stuck

Erstwhile

My initial eperience with this game is not good.

Inital trying to find pilot seat to activate (F) .. nothing looked like a seat regardless of where I paned to look.

Pressed a key that dropped me to the ground, on foot it appears, and still stuck to activate pilots seat.

Help

This sounds like something that would be considerably easier to help with while in game.  Did you try the Help chat channel?  Most times of day there should be someone on that can assist. 

The last few days the ingame help has been relatively meagre. I have contacted the help chat several times and then logged out each time after an hour. Maybe there's a lot going on because of the release.

7 hours ago, Erstwhile said:

My initial eperience with this game is not good.

Inital trying to find pilot seat to activate (F) .. nothing looked like a seat regardless of where I paned to look.

Pressed a key that dropped me to the ground, on foot it appears, and still stuck to activate pilots seat.

Help

Just a guess, but were you perhaps in build mode (where you see a pale blue grid around the speeder)?