Regarding play from Japan

Halberd

With the official release date set, Dual Universe has been covered on several Japanese websites for quite some time.

There is already a thread that was started by someone else, but it has not been updated for about 2 years, so I started a new one.

I hope that the number of DU players in Japan will increase as much as possible with the restart by Wipe.

A little information that is useful to know.

You cannot key in Japanese directly in the chat window, but you can copy and paste Japanese text.

(In addition, Japanese used to be available for screen elements, but unfortunately, it is not available now.)

Sorry if the specification has been changed in the official release.

Yes that was my friend’s old thread. We never found more than a couple of Japanese players who have since

moved in to greener pastures.

the game was sort of mentioned on a few sites over here but found about zero uptake because you can’t type in Japanese which is basically the death knell. 

given how poor the social tools still are and have been over the last four years, nobody is going to type into notepad and copy paste into the game. 

if you can’t use your native language you’re not going to play the game, basically. 

Edited by RickSanchezDU4L

To almost all DU players, the Japanese language will seem like noise, with difficult to distinguish characters.
Hence, I don't want to use it in global chat. That is why I am not using Japanese in this thread, even though the content is to be explained to Japanese people.
In MMOs of a decade ago, languages that used 2-byte character codes were often blanked or displayed abnormally on chat screens in other countries.

However, since it is difficult to follow up with Japanese beginners using English, which I am not proficient in, I wanted to let you know as a means to reach local channels in times of trouble.
Well, I know it is somewhat difficult to play DU without understanding English (or German or French).

It's pretty sad that I've been playing since the quirky alpha and never once had anyone to talk to in native language.

As a last resort, I use Discord.

• 2 weeks later...

The kanji font is already built into the dual-universe.

Oh, sorry.
If you use Lua instead of Quick Text, you can still see Japanese characters on the screen.
I remember I used to be able to display it with Quick Text, but it seems to be no longer possible.

Western programmers generally write code that is not aware of IMEs that handle 2-byte code, so the input in the chat field and Lua Edit screen is just not working correctly.

2-byte codes entered directly without an IME can generally be used correctly.

I wanted to put up a sign with weird Japanese in text, not pictures, like in the Blade Runner movie!

screen_JP.jpg

2バイトチャット.jpg

On 8/19/2022 at 9:12 PM, Cergorach said:

I can't remember the last time I used my native language (Dutch) in an (online) game...

that was my thread written back when the game appeared to have a chance of working. 

You can clearly understand English. Japanese people generally ONLY use and understand Japanese. A few have a basic grasp of English at a primary school level. A tiny few can speak English and are treated like gods by their brethren. 

I know because I’ve been here since the 90s. I have met maybe only a dozen or so fluent English speakers in that time. 

I made the hiragana font library a few years ago as a stopgap measure but rely on Discord for Japanese support. 

It's my pain when I want to try a game released only in Korea or Japan.

I can sympathize and can only hope that players of other languages can express themselves and use their language/culture on the game.

But a total translation of it seems to me unfortunately highly improbable :(

Courage to all our friends sharing a language not based on Latin.

5 hours ago, Jinxed said:

You can clearly understand English and are not Japanese. Japanese people generally ONLY use and understand Japanese.

Most Japanese study English in school for 6 to 10 years.

But it is true that many Japanese are not very good at English!

I am not very good at English either.

However, I have been an electronics engineer for decades and travel abroad, so I have many opportunities to use English.

Thanks to the wonderful Google & DeepL translators for communicating in this way!

電脳うさぎ小屋

https://kamolab.blog.ss-blog.jp/