Suggestions to make the whole asteroid experience interesting!

Wolfram

7 hours ago, Wyndle said:

It is very technically possible, but the question is would it be scalable?  A search mechanic like that would essentially be a ray trace, reporting collisions (including any vessel's velocity potential) within a cone.  The volume of the search area would be the same in every case.  It would be a matter of variations between a short distance sawed-off shotgun blast and ultra-precision scoped long barrel.

Well, we don't really need a raytrace here, to be honest. One very simple and probably not efficient approach I can imagine is querying any constructs and asteroids within a certain range and then doing some math to filter out anything outside a certain search "cone". What you suggested is quite possible too, like could have one "long-distance" radar search use a much more narrow cone but with larger distance, or the opposite (shorter distance but with a wider cone). This would save us from raytracing BUT would probably get a ton of constructs on first pass, so that radar shouldn't be something you use all the time (maybe have a cooldown or something).

I didn't understando the mushroom idea though.

there should be a giant asteroid belt(so big that you can hide inside of it) half of it is inside the safe zone the other half in pvp zone. higher tier ore is mostly found in the pvp zone. there should be higher tier(up to tier3) ore in the safe zone but much more rare than in the pvp zone. no DSAT crap, no broadcasting crap. the asteroids "regenerate" over time.

thats how i would do it.

14 hours ago, Wolfram said:

Well, we don't really need a raytrace here, to be honest.

I may have mixed my terms slightly as I meant ray cast (trace is following the particle after initial collision/ricochet).  It is a common technique in FPS shooting games for bullet pathing, not just as a way of getting reflections and lighting effects.

14 hours ago, Wolfram said:

I didn't understando the mushroom idea though.

TBH it probably isn't well thought out either.  I meant it as a per construct method of compensating for scan time/distance where a ship 'would' be in the cone by the time it reached their intersecting path but is not currently.

Edit:  Now that I've had more time to mull it over a different term that may be more appropriate for what I am trying to describe would be inertia probability matrix.

Edited by Wyndle
clarification