NQ It's time for AvA

TheBlender

9 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

Why should I pvp if it has no impact on the world? That is also something completely different from what they always said. Heck, we don't even have territoral warfare yet.

And I disagree with you. Landmark in space won't survive long like this with a subspriction model. 

You don't have to PvP even if it has impact.  My suggestion to instance avatar based combat could be used as a stepping stone towards full territory warfare.  They are far less likely to put a playable version in the world without a way to test and tweak it. To do it the justice it deserves could take several years more, even with instance combat data to work with.  In the meantime we get to play with a version of their toys.

1 hour ago, Candyman said:

See it as a Buildergame with smal PvP, then you might have alot of fun

As much as I enjoy dabbling in trolling, I don't tell others how to see something.  DU may be able to survive in the short-term without AvA and Territory Warfare, but it is unlikely to thrive long-term without them.

3 minutes ago, Candyman said:

What do you mean?

There are a number of things I could point to on this forum where some may consider me a troll, but in the context of this conversation I meant it as a friendly warning that putting a statement of "see it as..." is likely to trigger some of the keyboard warriors that sometimes visit these forums.

22 minutes ago, Wyndle said:

There are a number of things I could point to on this forum where some may consider me a troll, but in the context of this conversation I meant it as a friendly warning that putting a statement of "see it as..." is likely to trigger some of the keyboard warriors that sometimes visit these forums.

In german its moore like a phrase - The "Thing"(what ever it is) don*t meet your exspactation, but "see it as..." then you might... - Trolls and Keyboard Warriors? PAH if they have fun. I ingnore them Point.

2 hours ago, Wyndle said:

As much as I enjoy dabbling in trolling, I don't tell others how to see something.  DU may be able to survive in the short-term without AvA and Territory Warfare, but it is unlikely to thrive long-term without them.

There's nothing wrong with a little light trolling to keep everyone honest and make sure things don't get forgotten about.

Did I mention how NQ screwed me out of my thoramine collectable reward by setting the bar a bit high.  Now the people who bought theirs with Starbase money get to have the collectable while I don't even though I was part of the group that solved the puzzle.  That's pretty much max stupid and without trolling the occasional thread it might get forgotten about.

21 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

Did I mention how NQ screwed me out of my thoramine collectable reward by setting the bar a bit high. 

I do recall seeing or hearing about that somewhere.  To be fair to NQ, the whole thoramine collectable thing appeared to be an afterthought where they were left scrambling to come up with a response to the community without shooting themselves in the foot or adding a whole slew of other "what about my..." uproars.  The way they described trying to track it down also gave a little more insight into the inner workings of NQ than they probably intended.

28 minutes ago, Zeddrick said:

There's nothing wrong with a little light trolling

If I were to troll it would not be malicious.  It is just a sliver of schadenfreude, I swear.  :P

24 minutes ago, Wyndle said:

I do recall seeing or hearing about that somewhere.  To be fair to NQ, the whole thoramine collectable thing appeared to be an afterthought where they were left scrambling to come up with a response to the community without shooting themselves in the foot or adding a whole slew of other "what about my..." uproars.  The way they described trying to track it down also gave a little more insight into the inner workings of NQ than they probably intended.

Yes, but they then got it wrong and then silence.  It's not out of character for them TBH.  They seem to be trying to create some sort of 'rare valuable item' out if it by limiting the number they hand out.  And that's probably what the people who bought most of the Thoramine for Starbase money wanted.  But personally I couldn't care less because it will have no value other than a souvenir put up in my base.  There would be no point splitting the stack and making two, selling one, etc because where's the fun in that?  The people who are all about that sort of thing aren't the people who this sort of thing should be for IMO.  Make a different rare collectable for them and sell it directly for cash if you want.  They can have their 'limited edition golden $ statue' which cost £100 and there are only ever 10 of them.  I can get my spinning statue of JC and stick it on my virtual front lawn to remind me of fun times which were had.  Everyone is happy.

But that's not the way things are done in DU.

On 9/6/2022 at 5:05 AM, Candyman said:

Forget AvA and the other PvP stuff. As i see it, there are more "Creative Designer" then Backbone-Hardcore-Coders. Look at the UI*s. They look as they are codet by IT-Students 1.Semester. See it as a Buildergame with smal PvP, then you might have alot of fun

I will not look it at that way, as that was not what was promised way back during the kickstarter, or for the years after. People invested into this game for reasons, there were expectations, and NQ needs to address this among other things.

We did not sign up for JUST another builder game.

And I guess NQ institutional investors are going to learn the hard way, instead of being proactive before the problem hits their pockets.

AvA, yea. Did the idea that DU engine can only support lock&shoot in a vacuum crossed you mind ?

Or the part where I see a wall, you are behind it. I turn around so it unloads and then turn back fast and shoot. Yahooooo I win.

If your client doesn't "see" voxels - they are not there. There is no server side anything.

Edited by XKentX

On 9/6/2022 at 8:11 AM, Zeddrick said:

Did I mention how NQ screwed me out of my thoramine collectable reward by setting the bar a bit high.  Now the people who bought theirs with Starbase money get to have the collectable while I don't even though I was part of the group that solved the puzzle.  That's pretty much max stupid and without trolling the occasional thread it might get forgotten about.

It is pretty bogus that someone involved in the search is not going to get the reward. I feel for you there. How short are you?

I would say though that NQ really didn't screw you here. If you were involved in the search and were not given 500L out of such a large amount of ore, you got screwed by someone else. If I had more than exactly the required amount, I would share. Each org involved seems to have handled things far differently.

11 hours ago, XKentX said:

AvA, yea. Did the idea that DU engine can only support lock&shoot in a vacuum crossed you mind ?

Or the part where I see a wall, you are behind it. I turn around so it unloads and then turn back fast and shoot. Yahooooo I win.

If your client doesn't "see" voxels - they are not there. There is no server side anything.

Lock and fire AvA is fine for me, that was the expectation set years ago, in fact, I'd PREFER it. I'm sure the situation you've presented would have a fix, if it did end up being a problem.

The way I see it, this game needs a way avatars can fight other avatars to be successful. This game has been called a civilization building sandbox mmo from day 1, not a soley a ship builder. We have other, more fun, and better fleshed out ship builder pvp games out there. The math is simple, and the writing is on the wall if all NQ plans to deliver is a space pvp'er game where it takes ages to get somewhere, and if you do encounter the  sparse space fight, its likely to be quick and not as fun compared to other games that has done it already.

Its time to put civilization stuffs into the 'civilization building mmo'. AvA, territory warfare, and AvC.

• TheBlender changed the title to NQ It's time for AvA
9 hours ago, TheBlender said:

Its time to put civilization stuffs into the 'civilization building mmo'. AvA, territory warfare, and AvC.

Why does civilization building equate to more ways to blow stuff up? I recognize that in RL, civilization does equal bigger wars, I just find it a little sad that this is just a matter of fact thing.

IMHO, we need a good foundation before all these features are dropped down. Just adding TW and AvA for the sake of blowing up more stuff doesn't help the game at all. We need a framework for all of these features that gives purposes to all of it. Civilizations go to war for reasons (usually). 

After improving the game we already have, I would rather see social and civilization type features added that act as as foundation that ties all of the other aspects of the game together. Politics, culture, trade, warfare should all be connected. Any actual civilization building game ties all of these together with benefits and consequences to pursuing any of those goals.

16 hours ago, Deathknight said:

It is pretty bogus that someone involved in the search is not going to get the reward. I feel for you there. How short are you?

I would say though that NQ really didn't screw you here. If you were involved in the search and were not given 500L out of such a large amount of ore, you got screwed by someone else. If I had more than exactly the required amount, I would share. Each org involved seems to have handled things far differently.

I have 200L, which was a decent amount at the time.  I spent time working on the search but was never one of the core members and thought it was a fair share at the time (there was never very much of it and most was never given out).

I was pleased when they announced the reward and really annoyed when they set the bar too high (100L would have been better, or have 2 tiers if they want like with the backer ones).  I let off a lot of steam and am over it now ...

On 9/1/2022 at 2:37 PM, Haunty said:

NQ obviously bit off more than they could chew, but that is all behind us now. I think they have been more realistic lately.

AvA was never going to be like an FPS, it would be lock and fire just like CvC. Seems kind of tricky though like how would it handle obstructions...

Agreed server tick rate is way to low for personal firearms. Also I have never seen this game engine used for FPS purposes. I remember seeing an early build of DU running in Unreal engine, shame.. 

14 minutes ago, LeeFall said:

Agreed server tick rate is way to low for personal firearms. Also I have never seen this game engine used for FPS purposes. I remember seeing an early build of DU running in Unreal engine, shame.. 

Hopefully it would be feasible to convert to UE5 in time for their current license to be up for renewal.

17 hours ago, LeeFall said:

i dont see how Ava should be a good thing. will effectively wipe the small groups forcing them to join bigger organisations form bigger alliances and living in hive cities where under some kinda shield where they wait for an inevitable attack at an uncertain hour. Turns this game into a survival game like Ark where you will be forced to defend a base and you cant even take a break . I dont like it i dont even think is a viable option to be honest, as i think the strong point of this game is exactly the free construction part without the fear you lose everything in one night. The exception is of course getting a  flying construct into pvp area but that is an acceptable risk . A lot of people will be upset on something that is forced on them . you can say that only on certain planets , but we must keep in mind that all resources are connected in some way , losing a mining base that will produce a certain ore could destroy an entire production chain maybe even giving birth to a monopoly. Is complicated. 

On 9/14/2022 at 10:29 PM, LeeFall said:

neah not gonna happen . but i still want to board some ship some day assuming that i can slow it down :) 

On 9/14/2022 at 7:37 AM, TheBlender said:

Lock and fire AvA is fine for me

Good for you I suppose.

Having lock&fire shooter is a hard sell at the end of 2022.

I am just wondering how do you express your skill in that thing ? "Distance control" ? You come closer your avatar starts shooting, you watch your HP and run away if on low HP ?

That game of tanks on my dandy in 90s had more "game mechanics".

Edited by XKentX

9 hours ago, XKentX said:

Good for you I suppose.

Having lock&fire shooter is a hard sell at the end of 2022.

I am just wondering how do you express your skill in that thing ? "Distance control" ? You come closer your avatar starts shooting, you watch your HP and run away if on low HP ?

That game of tanks on my dandy in 90s had more "game mechanics".

Its not a shooter game.
Its a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game