DUAL UNIVERSE LAUNCH DATE - WISHLIST US ON STEAM - discussion thread

NQ-Wanderer

1 hour ago, Wyndle said:

I think that there are enough systems and play loops for this to function as an MMO.  One thing that Eve didn't have to contend with that DU may face is Steam review brigades.  It is possible for one troll to put the hurt on sales. 

Eve had terrible critics review for the first few years, but enough people picked it up through word of mouth and it thrived. Hopefully the same will happen here. But yeh there’s going to be plenty of bad reviews, mainly from the kids that are frustrated that the game didn’t deliver the full list of aspirations.

What I don’t know is how positive reviews offset bad ones on steam.

Edited by Shredder

5 minutes ago, Shredder said:

Eve had terrible critics review for the first few years, but enough people picked it up through word of mouth and it thrived. Hopefully the same will happen here. But yeh there’s going to be plenty of bad reviews, mainly from the kids that are frustrated that the game didn’t deliver the full list of aspirations.

What I don’t know is how positive reviews offset bad ones on steam.

When Eve launched it was an entirely different online world.  People born in the year Eve launched can legally drink in multiple countries now and everywhere within a few years.  In the early 00's negative online reviews had less impact on algorithms putting stuff in front of people; most people didn't know how to find reviews (or that it could be part of a search term).

I don't know the specifics of how Steam moderates reviews but I do know that trends get some weight.  With bot farms in play it only takes one troll to seriously hurt a game.  I'm sure Valve has tools to deal with some of the fake reviews but it may take time to find and fix, costing the affected game days or weeks of growth potential in the meantime.  If NQ is in a make or break period and get slammed with repeated and/or distributed malicious review attacks it may not matter how good or bad the game really is.  

Oddly enough, the Steam service launched the same year as Eve.  I'm pretty sure I played Eve long before I installed Steam.

1 minute ago, DarkEvader said:

OOPS, Dual Universe Steam Page not available for my region yet

Stuff like this doesn't help either.  Thanks for pointing it out DarkEvader; NQ has the opportunity to address it and similar issues prior to launch.

5 hours ago, Sycopata said:

Cant say well done, if they release a unfinished game, again. We acepted a unfinished release in the beta, but unfinished game in the release?

The core mechanics are not in the game:

-Territory Warfare

-Atmosferic Combat

-Alot planet rework pending

-No energy system

-No economy loop

This is just push the game to another Wipe, once they finish all pending features, or  close the project, wen steam bad coments doom it.

Per the last official Roadmap, almost 2.5 years ago, its also missing:

(7) of the (12) planets - although those are expected eventually.  Although that doesn't sound ALL bad, if the ore's are distributed the same way, I think we will be missing availability of some of them.  Hopefully they will tweak availability, because I think without Ion or Sinnen Moon 1 we won't be able to mine Rhodonite?  Without Symeon we won't have Vanadnite???  Suspect there are others.  Those planets best come soon or people are going to be blocked in manufacturing higher tier items.

Building of "gigantic" (their term) space stations.  Suspect that references the "death star/small moon" early indicators

Power-Ups (energy management)

Player-made Markets - OMG, it would be such a game changer if they actually do this and remove bot based markets

Pets?  Does anybody really care???

And the biggie that they have been steadily chipping away at:  "Craft your components - Produce the interactive components YOU need for YOUR bases and ships".  Nothing in that says "become the galaxies best advanced LED manufacturer (specialization being the only practical thing a solo person can do)".  It strongly implies that I can build everything I need for my bases and ships.  I think there is an implied "within some reasonable timeframe  e.g.  Less than 10 years (5 years?  2 years?  1 year?)".  Closely tied to this is "Become an industrialist - Set up industries to mass-produce building elements for you and your friends, or even sell them on the market".  Again, no mention of needing to "Join a massive organization and collectively..."

2 hours ago, SpacePotatoe said:

So the only question I have and have not been able to find an answer is what happens to the beta accounts? Will they just go away? Will we still have them and be able to play them at launch? Thank you.

As far as is aware the beta accounts will work fine but will require a sub to keep playing after launch. 

I think there was mention if a small grace period for people who subbed to cover the downtime between beta closing and release. If this applies to beta accounts I don't know.

The main thing to know is you will need a sub to continue using that account on release

4 hours ago, Gunhand said:

As far as is aware the beta accounts will work fine but will require a sub to keep playing after launch. 

I think there was mention if a small grace period for people who subbed to cover the downtime between beta closing and release. If this applies to beta accounts I don't know.

The main thing to know is you will need a sub to continue using that account on release

Well that sticks a fork in that thanks for the info, I have much better things to do with my time and StarField is just around the corner. So off to delete DU from the drive and find a new tie over till StarField. Hope the 10 people that still play this have fun with the launch.

5 minutes ago, SpacePotatoe said:

Well that sticks a fork in that thanks for the info, I have much better things to do with my time and StarField is just around the corner. So off to delete DU from the drive and find a new tie over till StarField. Hope the 10 people that still play this have fun with the launch.

Did you think you would be able to continue playing for free forever with the Beta account?

On 8/17/2022 at 4:31 AM, Noddles said:

Why dont we just remove the planets forever? We don't need all of them, they spread the player base out too much, and they have almost zero purpose right now. Then just shrink the safe zone back to the alioth market region and smoon/haven.

I enjoyed being able to fly to many distant planets so yes, we do need all of them if you are not going to restrict the things we can do. Half the fun is being able to slow-boat long distances and discover new worlds.

41 minutes ago, Celestis said:

I enjoyed being able to fly to many distant planets so yes, we do need all of them if you are not going to restrict the things we can do. Half the fun is being able to slow-boat long distances and discover new worlds.

Just wait until we discover a solar system with two planets so far apart it takes an hour with a warp drive or a system with risk for warp between popular planets (PvPers and risk-on players would cherish?).

1 hour ago, SpacePotatoe said:

Did know that is why I asked that question smartass!

Well my ass is, indeed, smart but that's besides the point.  Point is when told there was a sub you said you weren't going to play.  So I was wondering what answer you were hoping for?  Or did you just come in here to tell us you aren't going to play?

On 8/17/2022 at 3:29 AM, Mncdk1 said:

What is the expected timeline for adding the planets back?

You can't just remove more than half of the planets and give a vague "They're coming later..."

WHEN? Will all the planets be added within, say, a month? 3 months? a year?

Removing 7 out of 12 planets and then launching the game seems completely insane to me.

In the stream one of the devs said all planets would be back in "certainly within 12 months"

21 hours ago, Pleione said:

Pets?  Does anybody really care???

I think early DU game designers were influenced by Elder Scrolls Online (e.g. use of Lua for extensions, and has pets) Pets in ESO can follow you around, but also can reside in your home where you can set pathing (and perhaps more - I haven't spent that much time playing it) so that visitors can get a sense that the house is "lived" in as opposed to being "moth-balled" (this is especially true if some home "furnishings" are "people" you can interact with).
In DU we can use detectors, programming boards (Lua), and screens to provide reactive environments for visitors, but anyone who played Fallout 76 in the early days knows (which did have NPC robots), players don't care for unpopulated environments (even with content/quests and non-compulsory PvP). Bethesda back-tracked on that and now Fallout 76 has NPCs and companions that are not robots (yes there are other issues with the game but they fixed this one).
So I would like to see NQ  wrap a detector and program board/Lua Screen into a distinctive Avatar skinned element with an emote API (deployment restricted to static and space cores) and call that a "pet" - one that will be far more interesting then what ESO or F76 provide.

I'm pretty upset that your "big announcement" to founders on Kickstarter is that "Hey, we're releasing the game on Steam on September 27 and we'll have an update for you on your rewards..... eventually". We've been waiting 7 years now, with an expected delivery date of December 2018. I know I'm not the only one who feels cheated. You've really done poorly by your founders. 

Ive returned to SE and Im happy with it. (I am a builder type, no pvp person)

Decided to check back here and find this announcement and I think it is pretty positive.

So if I read the post correctly,

I have played during BETA, so I get 2 weeks of free game time for free when the game launches?

Is a subscription needed to keep your builds? So do they follow these present rules?

Edit.I also must say that the forum is filled with things from NQ and not from the community

Edited by Sabretooth

54 minutes ago, Sabretooth said:

I also must say that the forum is filled with things from NQ and not from the community

There are sections of the forums that are only NQ posts.  The conversations generally fall within the 80/20 rule as NQ have less time on their hands than someone like me.

57 minutes ago, Sabretooth said:

Is a subscription needed to keep your builds?

You need a subscription to play on the permanent server.  There will be a free trial server that gets reset/wiped on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, Sabretooth said:

Edit.I also must say that the forum is filled with things from NQ and not from the community

The vast majority of the posts in the forums are from players. NQ has a crazy number of pinned threads, which does tend to push player topics off of the 1st page of results. Honestly though, the players I know would love much more participation from NQ in the forums (like responses to things we say/ask).

5 hours ago, Sabretooth said:

Ive returned to SE and Im happy with it. (I am a builder type, no pvp person)

Decided to check back here and find this announcement and I think it is pretty positive.

So if I read the post correctly,

I have played during BETA, so I get 2 weeks of free game time for free when the game launches?

Is a subscription needed to keep your builds? So do they follow these present rules?

To clarify on others' responses:

You get the 2 weeks of free game time if you purchased ($) game time on your account via beta subscriptions, and then stopped playing (i.e. your subscription expired) for at least 1 month. In this case, NQ will give you the 2 weeks to encourage you to try the game again and see if you like it now. If you had a free beta key, or an alpha account, then you don't get these 2 weeks.

Core blueprints (not ordinary blueprints) will persist on your character into launch, but you will need an active subscription to access them.