“Rewards” Packages

juryisout

While I understand the idea of fairness to those starting the game for the first time on launch I disagree with the packages being labeled as a thank you to those who have contributed to the game over beta and prior. They are all merely accelerators to those people who wish to pay the cost of subscription for 3-13 months.

if you truly want to thank those who have contributed to the game development the reward needs to be something that somebody signing up for the first time on the day before launch can’t get.

There are two ways that this glaring absurd play on words can be remedied.

1) Call the packages what they are: Accelerators for those who want to front the cost of subscription 

2) Actually thank the beta and alpha people in the community that actually pulled money out of their wallets believing in this game, by providing them with something that others won’t get.

I love this game, but we are not children.

A brand new player who signs up for 13 months, 1 day before launch, is gonna get the same “reward” as those that have already put time in.  

I agree, i think they are trying to do 2 things at once with these packages and would  be better to separate them into 2 different things:  accelerators and rewards.

They can leave the current packages the same and just call them accelerators 1 2 3 that you can buy with the amount of forward subscription time.

The rewards should be separate as follows:

Gold you get a,b,c, x, y, z, and your account will show you have had 15 months active subscription time. So you will automatically qualify for accelerator package 3. 

bronze/silver you get a,b,c,  and your account will show you have had 8 months of active subscription time.  So you will automatically qualify for accelerator package 2.  (if you want to move to accelerator package 3- you would need to buy the 7 months of subscription time)

where a,b,c,x,y,z are unique items that  can not be bought.

I’m also referencing players who paid subs during beta. Like I have an account I’ve subbed since day 1 beta and he will get the same as a new player subbing 1 day before launch for 13 months. Then I also have to sub that character to actually get the same rewards. So my main will in effect pay for a minimum of 30 months to get what a new player paid 13 months for. 

Edited by juryisout
Correcting number

Correct me if I am wrong, but prior packages are still getting most of what they were promised from Alpha and pre-Alpha.  Pets and appearance cosmetic items do not appear to be involved, but Sanctuary is technically no longer needed (Haven) and the STU has become an exclusive (for now?) perk that was named in early rewards packs.  Just how exclusive?  Don't know yet.

I agree with the assessment of the Pioneer packages being both a money grab and an accelerator that many accounts already qualify for, at least partially.   Calling it a reward is a tone deaf technicality that caused some hurt feelings, but it isn't entirely accurate to say NQ is the bad guy on this. 

The beautiful thing about DU is that the community can take steps after the launch to make in-game items; with a little help from NQ to distribute to applicable accounts. 

34 minutes ago, Wyndle said:

Just how exclusive?  Don't know yet.

It was never planned as an exclusive, but as a shopitem. Included in the package, you should be able to buy more later. The current question is: why would anyone want to buy something like that?

My argument is merely this. Call the packs what they are. Don’t portray them as a thank you to those who supported the game through beta. It’s marketing play that is merely a ploy to draw more subs.  The biggest problem that has happened through my tenure in this game is not being upfront and honest with the community. Eventually, people will give up if they can’t get honest from the company. 

2 hours ago, Zarcata said:

It was never planned as an exclusive, but as a shopitem. Included in the package, you should be able to buy more later. The current question is: why would anyone want to buy something like that?

The safe zone killed the intended initial value of the STU and Haven finished it off.  I can see a few ways for them to add value back to the STU as a distinct item. 

1)  Make Sanctuary tiles creative mode with actual commercial value (i.e. game rules allow real world sub-leasing/advertising) but the Sanctuary BPs can only be used on Sanctuary tiles.  This would be legally complex and hard to accomplish without breaking other aspects of the game.  I mention this not because it would be good but because it is possible.  For those complaining about NQ using the Pioneer packs as a money grab, remember that it could be MUCH worse.

2)  New solar systems have a slight chance of containing a Sanctuary planet/moon (preferably <= 20% of new systems) whereas everything else outside of the tri-planet safe zone is nothing but swim at your own risk.

3)  Anchor point for player owned warp gates being on a Sanctuary tile ensures the other end is a safe zone or other similar effects to add value to Sanctuary tiles that does not have a current example in-game.