Reviving the VR conversation?

Wyndle

I know that NQ has not been able to put serious thought or effort into VR, nor would I expect it of them at this point.  That isn't to say that there may not be other solutions.  Is there anything that currently works(ish)? Bonus for Quest 2 specific results.

I remember way back in Alpha I tried a vorpx add-on and it kind of worked but there was no stereoscopic function and the performance was awful. I haven't checked recently to know if the add-on improved or worked better with a more recent version of DU. It's probable that it doesn't.

It's definitely something I would love to see officially supported, but as mentioned above there is a huge amount of development priority to be taken into account first and the likelihood of this getting official support is slim to non existent. 

If it did at some point it wouldn't be for Quest as it would require a whole new client and an insane amount of development to be able to get it to run on the Quest hardware. It would be more likely an add-on for the existing Windows client and run through Vive or Rift etc.

45 minutes ago, Gunhand said:

I remember way back in Alpha I tried a vorpx add-on and it kind of worked but there was no stereoscopic function and the performance was awful. I haven't checked recently to know if the add-on improved or worked better with a more recent version of DU. It's probable that it doesn't.

It's definitely something I would love to see officially supported, but as mentioned above there is a huge amount of development priority to be taken into account first and the likelihood of this getting official support is slim to non existent. 

If it did at some point it wouldn't be for Quest as it would require a whole new client and an insane amount of development to be able to get it to run on the Quest hardware. It would be more likely an add-on for the existing Windows client and run through Vive or Rift etc.

I went through all of the VR related forum posts and saw Vorpx mentioned.  I've also seen a single individual put out mods for multiple existing PC games (new and old) to give them great UNofficial VR support.  I know better than to ask about official support for VR at this stage.  NQ has too many higher priority issues to give VR more attention than an acknowledgement on the forums.

I have no illusion of running DU on the HMD directly though I have hope to run it on the Steam Deck but that's another subject.  I mentioned the Quest 2 specifically because not all solutions will work for all PCVR configurations.

The main issue with creating fan made mods to make non VR games into VR revolves around a couple of factors. 

Popularity being the first, the engine the game is built on being second.

DU is still niche and not widely known. Coupled with its decline in popularity and uncertainty of its future. If you draw a Venn Diagram of someone who would be capable of doing it with a fan who is totally due hard to the game, the centre area would contain precisely no one.

If memory serves me DU is built in Unigine. Which isn't widely adopted or used anywhere even close to Unreal or Unity. So adding an extra circle to your Venn Diagram that encompasses someone familiar with Unigine, you've got even less than no one.

To put it bluntly, current VR adoption sits around 3% according to steam charts. Steam certaily isn't the whole PC games' industry, but it arguably largest chunk of it all, thus providing pretty decent sample of what the rest of it looks like.  Even if actual DU sub numbers were sitting at 50.000, which would have been a major success for something as niche as DU is.

(never mind it took years even for eve to surpass that number). You basically askin for feature relevant to 1500 people out of the enitre population.  It's  simply not worth the dev time, especially for du, which has gaping holes in just about every aspect of its core functionality.

While there was quite a bit of excitement at beginning of this VR cycle ( it comes and goes about once in 10-15 years), that interest has already fizzled out.  While VR is having some success in business application/visualization fields, consumer market has been stagnant at best in past 18 months.  A number of AAA studios dove right into VR expecting customers to come later, but they never did, at least not in  numbers where it would have matterd, and canned their future VR efforts on hold till there is actually seizable market for it. And on consumer end, there are notable games built from ground up for VR, but  very of them are a must have, hence Index or Vive is are a hard sell.  Interestingly a lot of people who bought Index for Alyx dumped it on secondary market after finishing the game

1 hour ago, Gunhand said:

The main issue with creating fan made mods to make non VR games into VR revolves around a couple of factors. 

Popularity being the first, the engine the game is built on being second.

DU is still niche and not widely known. Coupled with its decline in popularity and uncertainty of its future. If you draw a Venn Diagram of someone who would be capable of doing it with a fan who is totally due hard to the game, the centre area would contain precisely no one.

If memory serves me DU is built in Unigine. Which isn't widely adopted or used anywhere even close to Unreal or Unity. So adding an extra circle to your Venn Diagram that encompasses someone familiar with Unigine, you've got even less than no one.

First and foremost I was asking if there were already tools available, even if they weren't specific to DU and/or don't work well.  I agree that the likelihood that someone would target development of a niche within a niche of a niche is absurdly low statistically but it doesn't hurt to ask. :D  

50 minutes ago, Bazzy_505 said:

To put it bluntly, current VR adoption sits around 3% according to steam charts. Steam certaily isn't the whole PC games' industry, but it arguably largest chunk of it all, thus providing pretty decent sample of what the rest of it looks like.  Even if actual DU sub numbers were sitting at 50.000, which would have been a major success for something as niche as DU is.

(never mind it took years even for eve to surpass that number). You basically askin for feature relevant to 1500 people out of the enitre population.  It's  simply not worth the dev time, especially for du, which has gaping holes in just about every aspect of its core functionality.

While there was quite a bit of excitement at beginning of this VR cycle ( it comes and goes about once in 10-15 years), that interest has already fizzled out.  While VR is having some success in business application/visualization fields, consumer market has been stagnant at best in past 18 months.  A number of AAA studios dove right into VR expecting customers to come later, but they never did, at least not in  numbers where it would have matterd, and canned their future VR efforts on hold till there is actually seizable market for it. And on consumer end, there are notable games built from ground up for VR, but  very of them are a must have, hence Index or Vive is are a hard sell.  Interestingly a lot of people who bought Index for Alyx dumped it on secondary market after finishing the game

Second, the thing about fan made anything is that it comes from the heart of a fan.  It's those kinds of fans that generate word of mouth and build thriving communities within the niches of the niches.  Or as a scruffy nerf herder once said, "Never tell me the odds."

The VR market is indeed small which is unfortunate. Meta are banking a whole lot on being able to capture the market with the Quest being a more user friendly standalone device but it's still not there yet and might not be for some time.

As for if there are tools available, your only option is for something like vorpx or similar. 

The other problem you run into using third party tools to force a game into VR is the online aspect. Using some form of mod or manipulation to an online game could be seen or flagged as an exploit and get you banned. It would only work if it was officially sanctioned. It's all good if you're doing it on a single player game but online would be a grey area.

28 minutes ago, Gunhand said:

The VR market is indeed small which is unfortunate. Meta are banking a whole lot on being able to capture the market with the Quest being a more user friendly standalone device but it's still not there yet and might not be for some time.

As for if there are tools available, your only option is for something like vorpx or similar. 

The other problem you run into using third party tools to force a game into VR is the online aspect. Using some form of mod or manipulation to an online game could be seen or flagged as an exploit and get you banned. It would only work if it was officially sanctioned. It's all good if you're doing it on a single player game but online would be a grey area.

If nothing else, using the Quest 2 as a virtual monitor resized to near life size first person perspective is amazing.  My only complaint is that my joystick currently has a bad drift so I haven't been able to test that  in game.