How to keep players after the wipe

Zychov

There are a lot of interesting things going on in the game that very few players know about.

- Spaceship races

- Pvp skirmishes

- Combined mining operations on exotic asteroids

- Alien core raids 

- Constructs exhibitions

- Did you knew, that you can earn money as a combat pilot and the organization provides you with all the equipment and pays you for the mere fact that you participate in maneuvers?

Players often don't know about all these opportunities, and even if they have heard about them they don't know how to access them.

Dual Universe is a game designed with the idea that players create their own content and entertainment, yet it doesn't have even the simplest system to reach other players with their events and content.

What if we made a message board accessible from the TAB menu?

Very simple. Location, time, contact player, event description, some kind of illustration and a list of categories by which such a board could be sorted.

How exactly are you going to be doing that when everything is wiped at launch, including talents. I think the biggest issue is going to be to keep players beyond the basic grinding BS that we'll all have to do for a LONG time before we can do any of the activities you mentioned. We're going to be stuck picking up a LOT of ore before we can even make ships that can leave atmo! And combat? Look at what's required for that and what kind of limitations have been introduced to manufacturing. Combat is a long way off! I think people will quit way before they can even attempt any of that stuff.

It's not perfect, but these all sound like great things to advertise at the Alioth Exchange.  Assuming new players are going to be funnelled into that anyway if all of that content is up and running and advertised at the exchange then that's what winning looks like IMO.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, Zeddrick said:

It's not perfect, but these all sound like great things to advertise at the Alioth Exchange.  Assuming new players are going to be funnelled into that anyway if all of that content is up and running and advertised at the exchange then that's what winning looks like IMO.

What's an Alioth Exchange?

On 8/12/2022 at 10:54 AM, Cergorach said:

How exactly are you going to be doing that when everything is wiped at launch, including talents. I think the biggest issue is going to be to keep players beyond the basic grinding BS that we'll all have to do for a LONG time before we can do any of the activities you mentioned. We're going to be stuck picking up a LOT of ore before we can even make ships that can leave atmo! And combat? Look at what's required for that and what kind of limitations have been introduced to manufacturing. Combat is a long way off! I think people will quit way before they can even attempt any of that stuff.

If NQ would decide to introduce such feature we will have to wait for it 3 - 6 months so we have a lot of time. And guessing by my current experience an active org need 20% of that time to put interesting Ads there.

To keep the community despite the disastrous choices since the shareholders fired the creator.?

Maybe by not touching the talent points, everything else has absolutely no interest, all the other subjects are unfortunately futile.

It's boring all this flooding on speculation even though all motivation of those playing until recently has been destroyed.

16 hours ago, Zychov said:

If NQ would decide to introduce such feature we will have to wait for it 3 - 6 months so we have a lot of time. 

I think you should ask yourself what you can do to keep those players after wiper for 3-6 months. Because I have a hard time imagining that most won't leave in their first month. DU at launch is nothing like DU at the launch at beta. This is going to be a grindfest!

Shams streamed recently DU again we were flabergasted what new players should be doing: It was picking up rocks or running atmo missions with your starter ship, both would leave you quickly bored out of your mind. Especially when new players crash their ship and need to walk 50km... Asteroid mining might be fun, but getting everything needed to get there is going to take a TON of work! And I suspect that many underestimate how much work.

3 hours ago, Cergorach said:

many underestimate how much work.

I'd be surprised if it isn't a Robb Zombie Grind-Fest. 

Having watched NQ go through proper use of Alpha and Beta development cycles (at least while JC was here) I suspect that most people who have only seen the state of the game up to 0.23 will not recognize the game at release.  For some that will be a good thing, for the rest... well, they left for reason(s) that may or may not be even bigger factors in gameplay.

22 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

It was a joke that you inadvertently dragged further. My point was that it needs to be a transparent mechanism, easily accessible to players and not something you have to search for in the game (or google). I'm afraid so far this discussion contributes nothing.

Edited by Zychov

17 hours ago, Zychov said:

I'm afraid so far this discussion contributes nothing.

Becasue it's imho the equivalent of planning our festivities for when we colonize Mars. It's way to far into the future and the technology will change significantly before it actually happens, meanwhile we have way bigger issues...