RESET NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT - Discussion thread

NQ-Nyota

2 minutes ago, Distinct Mint said:

Problem is is that it wasn't accessible to the large majority of the playerbase. Most people didn't know it existed until it was over, so most people didn't get the chance to play. Now this is fine in itself, but most MMOs have figured out by now that you need to have all events/special things accessible by almost everyone. Later events by NQ did do this (the Gold Star event and similar), but they seemed to regress again on the PvP 🙂

Every player had a change to know. Just by following NQ dev blogs and interacting with other players. Those who did exploring did find some of those artifacts but were not able to understand those coded writings there and ignored them, so they missed the opportunity.
Only most dedicated and skilled players were able to connect the dots right way.
Also only the most skilled players were able to resolve the puzzle.

What is the point of hidden treasure or "boss challenge" if everyone is able to solve it.

30 minutes ago, kulkija said:

Only most dedicated and skilled players were able to connect the dots right way.

What is the point of hidden treasure or "boss challenge" if everyone is able to solve it.

A normal player usually has no experience with luascripts and the like, unless the person is already anchored there professionally or for his own interest. In the end, it also depends on what kind of "players" NQ wants to attract or whether it simply offers a playground for scripters who can let off steam here and at the same time hand over their creations and their own rights as creators to NQ.

It would also finally be time for an ingame calendar.

1 hour ago, Distinct Mint said:

Now this is fine in itself, but most MMOs have figured out by now that you need to have all events/special things accessible by almost everyone. Later events by NQ did do this (the Gold Star event and similar), but they seemed to regress again on the PvP 🙂

Is that why I don't play most MMOs?

59 minutes ago, kulkija said:

Every player had a change to know. Just by following NQ dev blogs and interacting with other players. Those who did exploring did find some of those artifacts but were not able to understand those coded writings there and ignored them, so they missed the opportunity.

At the risk of repeating myself, most people didn't know there was an event until it was over. So what value your "dedicated and skilled players"? Accessibility is the key to good event design, not exclusion.

14 minutes ago, Distinct Mint said:

At the risk of repeating myself, most people didn't know there was an event until it was over. So what value your "dedicated and skilled players"? Accessibility is the key to good event design, not exclusion.

English (Translator used)

The events were known if you had logged into the form, discord or game at least once a week.

Several hundred players were involved.

German (original)

Die Events waren bekannt, wenn man sich mindestens 1mal in der Woche im Form, discord oder Spiel eingeloggt hatte.

Es waren mehrere 100 Spieler daran beteiligt.

Die Waldfee

Seemingly several people here disagree with me - which is fine, as I invited you all to do so 🙂

I played daily since beta, used the discord daily (I ignored the forums as the cess-pool that they generally are - present company excepted ofc!), and only heard about it when it was over. My 60+ member Org had no clue either. Most players I spoke to were non the wiser either. Of course this is circumstantial and easy to counter with "all my friends knew about it".

But most people did not, and all "evidence" to the contrary won't change that.

Anyway, this discussion is just going in circles, so please enjoy your deleted thoramine, and I hope you give it a fond farewell while you can :D

5 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

Problem is is that it wasn't accessible to the large majority of the playerbase. Most people didn't know it existed until it was over, so most people didn't get the chance to play. Now this is fine in itself, but most MMOs have figured out by now that you need to have all events/special things accessible by almost everyone. Later events by NQ did do this (the Gold Star event and similar), but they seemed to regress again on the PvP 🙂

Wasn't one of the monoliths right next to one of the districts?

6 hours ago, Cybob19 said:

DO SCHEMATICS STILL TRANSFER TALENT POINTS OF THE CREATOR IF SO THE LAUNCH IS ALLREADY ILLEGITIMATE

I certainly hope they will fix that one!  It has been in the game for 2 years and actively used (often by accident) so it shouldn't come as a surprise to the devs ...

3 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

Seemingly several people here disagree with me - which is fine, as I invited you all to do so 🙂

I played daily since beta, used the discord daily (I ignored the forums as the cess-pool that they generally are - present company excepted ofc!), and only heard about it when it was over. My 60+ member Org had no clue either. Most players I spoke to were non the wiser either. Of course this is circumstantial and easy to counter with "all my friends knew about it".

But most people did not, and all "evidence" to the contrary won't change that.

Anyway, this discussion is just going in circles, so please enjoy your deleted thoramine, and I hope you give it a fond farewell while you can :D

There are two issues I have with the Thoramine event, and the Thoramine itself.

1. While it was bad enough the event was hidden to 99% of players, it is even worse than that. The event was started in alpha, so naturally the alpha players already knew about it before beta launched, and so alpha players were the ones who completed it.

2. A significant portion of the Thoramine was real world traded. In fact, one of the players in this thread who doesn't want it to disappear was involved in that transaction.

Hopefully this resource doesn't return in the same fashion. Maybe as some rare spawn in exotic asteroids would be fine, but making it a limited spawn in a hidden event is just asking for it to be found by someone with inside knowledge, and just asking for the reward to be RMT'd.

6 hours ago, Cergorach said:

Maybe add a trophy in game for such events or if that's to much to ask, a specific achievement for that event..

If NQ puts in some way to track such achievements past the wipe, even something as simple as an official CSV file with the important info then the players who are dedicated to building community can make the in-game voxel trophy to hand out later.  I could even see it being a LUA based free pickup so only those who care will get them.

10 hours ago, PopsiclePete said:

Backer accounts have no stake here as they played for free up to release anyway

Knee jerk every time I read this.  Backers didn't "play for free", they played based on a one-time fee.  Think I was in it for $175 (ish) - the most I've ever invested in a game that wasn't playable at the time.  Now, I admit, I'll get DACs for that - maybe.  Perhaps will find out tomorrow - but they were silent around DACs.  And I did get to play alpha and beta for a lot longer than anyone (except perhaps Blazemonger) predicted.  But it sure didn't feel like "free".

25 minutes ago, Nayropux said:

There are two issues I have with the Thoramine event, and the Thoramine itself.

1. While it was bad enough the event was hidden to 99% of players, it is even worse than that. The event was started in alpha, so naturally the alpha players already knew about it before beta launched, and so alpha players were the ones who completed it.

Well, people said that.  Some of the parts of the event were visible in Alpha but the problem was not solvable and, I believe, more pieces were added after alpha.  As I understand it NQ expected the event to take years to solve while it actually took about 6 months and this caught them by surprise.

But it wasn't particularly well hidden.  I'm fairly certain that at least one of the objects was right next to one of the districts or a commonly used market on Alioth.  There were also public forum posts about it and it was discussed on the discord.  Accepted that some people don't engage with these things but this was meant to be a group puzzle solved by a group.  And if you aren't engaging with the wider DU community it's true that you would miss out on these things.

25 minutes ago, Nayropux said:

2. A significant portion of the Thoramine was real world traded. In fact, one of the players in this thread who doesn't want it to disappear was involved in that transaction.

Hopefully this resource doesn't return in the same fashion. Maybe as some rare spawn in exotic asteroids would be fine, but making it a limited spawn in a hidden event is just asking for it to be found by someone with inside knowledge, and just asking for the reward to be RMT'd.

There really wasn't ever very much of it at all.  Just one node to mine.  I agree that making it have an actual, valuable use now would be bad because what there is of it is either in tiny quantities or held by people who didn't earn it.  But there's no real reason why it couldn't, for example, be a voxel with non-useful properties (make it very heavy with low HP, resists and CSS perhaps).  Then it can be used for decorative purposes only.  That doesn't really break anything and would, IMO, be a well-deserved finger-up to anyone who RMT'ed it (IDK whether or not anyone did).

As a game which is meant to be a persistent-world MMO where your actions are persistent and matter I think keeping things in the game to make trophies is actually a good thing.  A good use of a city, for example, would be a place where people could display the trophies they earned while playing the game.

Another idea for NQ, or rather a question (because it's still a big question mark on my side, why you are not able or willed to keep that one promise):

While I've already mentioned the idea of making an application process for STATIC projects, in order to preview magic BPs ... why not making those magic BPs time-based - meaning giving them a time stamp, so that they are only spawnable after six months?

With the previewing process, you avoid any unnecessary element hording in magic BPs (you could even remove them completly from BPs, making them honeycomb-only, as described in my previous post too). AND you give everyone the same starting conditions, without any advantage for veterans whatsoever.

Would be nice hearing you talking about this specific topic. Though, my hopes are fairly low-key ...

9 hours ago, Pleione said:

Knee jerk every time I read this.  Backers didn't "play for free", they played based on a one-time fee.  Think I was in it for $175 (ish) - the most I've ever invested in a game that wasn't playable at the time.  Now, I admit, I'll get DACs for that - maybe.  Perhaps will find out tomorrow - but they were silent around DACs.  And I did get to play alpha and beta for a lot longer than anyone (except perhaps Blazemonger) predicted.  But it sure didn't feel like "free".

Yeah the Backers who paid more than the subscribers are now being screwed for gambling on a product that may never have existed if it was not for the backers.

Makes you so proud to be a backer, knowing NQ think you are worthless compared to a subscriber. 

1 hour ago, FryingDoom said:

Yeah the Backers who paid more than the subscribers are now being screwed for gambling on a product that may never have existed if it was not for the backers.

Makes you so proud to be a backer, knowing NQ think you are worthless compared to a subscriber. 

Ya, I mean I accepted the risk backing in alpha.  But it really has been a bait and switch. And they dont even have the gall to look us in the eye and say "ya our server tech didnt perform how we wanted and this is what its gotta be" but continue on this bullshit path.  WE backed a game that was suppose to be heavily in PVP and PLAYER DRIVEN.  Its not player driven with alphelia, bots, and safe zones.  This is some broke ass theme park mascaraing around as some "revolutionary mmo technology".   Remove safe zones, put some better tools in place. Make a better radar system. Expand how orgs are ran and how they can utilize planets/moons to form nations.  Let the players figure the rest out. 

Hearing the news of the broken promise that the reset will happen infuriated me. I really hated NQ for it. Not people personally by the way. Why hate? because like many others I have invested thousands of hours in this game. At least 87 million talent points and loads of stuff and quanta that I worked hard to get without cheats or using exploits. Invested a lot of quanta in blueprint copies that will be gone after the reset. I feel NQ has stolen our time and our love for the things we created.

I really had so much stuff, my underground warehouse has more than 100 expanded containers XL and more than 150 containers L filled to the rim will elements, pures, ores, products, half-products, cores, fuels and what not. And there was another warehouse, maybe with half the capacity as the first one. I'm also extremely pissed that I will loose my territories. Especially the territories where I mined for Tier 5 ores. Endless searching for the T5 ore deposits... The loss of ships is also what I'm angry about, especially the large one I was building and I won't be able to finish it soon. I has all rare military stuff on it and a lot of hours of voxelmancy, so I won't be able to restart with building it in 2024 maybe... There are ships that were abandoned which needed a lot of rework to make them the way I like them. They will be gone forever because they were initially built by another player who might not return after the reset. No core blueprints on those. Lost labour and love for these ships.

Now I know this is just a game for many people, but for some (like me) this is a game I really wanted and I waited for ages until it arrived. Real life sucks so much for some (like me) that living in this virtual world makes real life worth living again. This sounds serious and to some of you maybe pathetic, but those people don't know how real life can be hell. So DU is part of my life and yeah I know it is pretty sad.

So rebuilding my virtual life... it all means grinding to get quanta, an enormous amount of elements and an incredible amount of honeycomb that are in our builds and in the core blueprints. To rebuild it we will not be needing our creativity, but me personally I will have to grind for atleast a year to bring everything back that I will loose. I am not gonna do that... Do I even have the courage to put in the time and effort and risk another wipe in 2023 or in 2024? I don't know. I sort of like the idea of starting over, not bothering to become rich like I was, but purely playing DU to be creative. Sort of retire but still live in Helios. But at this point I'm still really numb and I will see how this goes. Day by day. They might say this will be the last wipe. Don't think I will ever believe you again, NQ. You betrayed our trust when you discarded the promise not to wipe again. I apologize for the long and possibly boring rant. I hope DU will survive, but if it doesn't because of the wipe... don't blame us veterans who turned this virtual world into a vibrant creation. Which was built by the players... but potentially destroyed by the makers...

40 minutes ago, Saedow said:

At least 87 million talent points

This was the part that broke the camels back for me. Never did I think that they would wipe the *only* thing that is of real value on an account, something that can't be restored other than waiting for another ~year real time, depending on if you get the pioneer packs or not. And yeah, the pioneer packs are nothing but a money grab for some extra revenue on release - you don't pay for rewards.

I'll play post-wipe, but NQ lost so much goodwill with this move.

16 hours ago, Saedow said:

Hearing the news of the broken promise that the reset will happen infuriated me. I really hated NQ for it. Not people personally by the way. Why hate? because like many others I have invested thousands of hours in this game. At least 87 million talent points and loads of stuff and quanta that I worked hard to get without cheats or using exploits. Invested a lot of quanta in blueprint copies that will be gone after the reset. I feel NQ has stolen our time and our love for the things we created.

I really had so much stuff, my underground warehouse has more than 100 expanded containers XL and more than 150 containers L filled to the rim will elements, pures, ores, products, half-products, cores, fuels and what not. And there was another warehouse, maybe with half the capacity as the first one. I'm also extremely pissed that I will loose my territories. Especially the territories where I mined for Tier 5 ores. Endless searching for the T5 ore deposits... The loss of ships is also what I'm angry about, especially the large one I was building and I won't be able to finish it soon. I has all rare military stuff on it and a lot of hours of voxelmancy, so I won't be able to restart with building it in 2024 maybe... There are ships that were abandoned which needed a lot of rework to make them the way I like them. They will be gone forever because they were initially built by another player who might not return after the reset. No core blueprints on those. Lost labour and love for these ships.

Now I know this is just a game for many people, but for some (like me) this is a game I really wanted and I waited for ages until it arrived. Real life sucks so much for some (like me) that living in this virtual world makes real life worth living again. This sounds serious and to some of you maybe pathetic, but those people don't know how real life can be hell. So DU is part of my life and yeah I know it is pretty sad.

So rebuilding my virtual life... it all means grinding to get quanta, an enormous amount of elements and an incredible amount of honeycomb that are in our builds and in the core blueprints. To rebuild it we will not be needing our creativity, but me personally I will have to grind for atleast a year to bring everything back that I will loose. I am not gonna do that... Do I even have the courage to put in the time and effort and risk another wipe in 2023 or in 2024? I don't know. I sort of like the idea of starting over, not bothering to become rich like I was, but purely playing DU to be creative. Sort of retire but still live in Helios. But at this point I'm still really numb and I will see how this goes. Day by day. They might say this will be the last wipe. Don't think I will ever believe you again, NQ. You betrayed our trust when you discarded the promise not to wipe again. I apologize for the long and possibly boring rant. I hope DU will survive, but if it doesn't because of the wipe... don't blame us veterans who turned this virtual world into a vibrant creation. Which was built by the players... but potentially destroyed by the makers...

very well said..

15 hours ago, Yoarii said:

This was the part that broke the camels back for me. Never did I think that they would wipe the *only* thing that is of real value on an account, something that can't be restored other than waiting for another ~year real time, depending on if you get the pioneer packs or not. And yeah, the pioneer packs are nothing but a money grab for some extra revenue on release - you don't pay for rewards.

I'll play post-wipe, but NQ lost so much goodwill with this move.

the TP thing was my big issue too.... 2 + years in beta, building our characters, adding assets to the game to bring it alive..  then NQ wipe it all and say 'if you want it back you'll have to pay us more money, the more you want back the more you'll have to pay us'.   It also means my alt that i built up for pvp that i used my beta key on gets nothing... so there is no point in me subbing that account.. 

NQ have lost a lot of long term subs in favour of short term cash.... makes you wonder how long they think this is going to last.

11 minutes ago, LeoCora said:

It also means my alt that i built up for pvp that i used my beta key on gets nothing... so there is no point in me subbing that account

You can buy game time to get the pioneer packs for that account too. Not via NQ/Xsolla though as they don't sell more than 12 months, but via Markee Dragon or another seller, if there is one.

29 minutes ago, Yoarii said:

You can buy game time to get the pioneer packs for that account too. Not via NQ/Xsolla though as they don't sell more than 12 months, but via Markee Dragon or another seller, if there is one.

yes i can. if i want to give them a 13 month sub for that character... no thanks... this is my issue .. everything we already had is now locked behind a pay wall.  Im happy to sub 2 accounts.... why is that not enough?

17 minutes ago, LeoCora said:

yes i can. if i want to give them a 13 month sub for that character... no thanks... this is my issue .. everything we already had is now locked behind a pay wall.  Im happy to sub 2 accounts.... why is that not enough?

Good question. I just wanted to make sure you had the option to.

32 minutes ago, PopsiclePete said:

You do not need to HAVE BEEN subbed to qualify, you need to HAVE BOUGHT 13 months and have them on the account at the moment of launch.

So, assume launch is in 1 month, not unreasonable, and you have been subbed for the last year. At the moment the game launches you will have been subbed for 13 month and so qualify for the exotic pack and all that is required is having an active sub for the six months that the pack releases its awards (or have DAC to pay for the subscription).

32 minutes ago, PopsiclePete said:

You do not need to HAVE BEEN subbed to qualify, you need to HAVE BOUGHT 13 months and have them on the account at the moment of launch.

So, assume launch is in 1 month, not unreasonable, and you have been subbed for the last year. At the moment the game launches you will have been subbed for 13 month and so qualify for the exotic pack and all that is required is having an active sub for the six months that the pack releases its awards (or have DAC to pay for the subscription).

I understand how it works... As i have an alpha account i dont have an active sub... so for me to continue as i have been for the last 2+ years I have to give them 2 x 13 months of sub.  I can't do that... so i'll sub my main, and that character will get the rare pack and i'll have to accept the downgrade.. as for my alt, he used the beta key from my alpha pack... so is locked behind a pay wall unless i want to pay 13 months in advance.  

My point is that im very happy to pay for 2 monthly subs.... but thats not good enough for NQ.. they want me to pre-pay for 13 months to get as much back as i already had as possible.

9 minutes ago, LeoCora said:

My point is that im very happy to pay for 2 monthly subs.... but thats not good enough for NQ.. they want me to pre-pay for 13 months to get as much back as i already had as possible.

I can't (nor would I attempt) to change your feelings on it but I can explain my own thoughts.

NQ most likely has their hands tied with a make or break ultimatum.  DU is overdue for every previous release target they've stated and has probably been bleeding funds the whole time.  The first year of an officially released DU will be what decides its fate going forward.  I've spent more time typing the word "potential" and its synonyms into this forum than I've spent playing other games over the past several years so I've already subbed 13 months on 3 accounts despite not paying a sub the whole Beta.