RESET NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT - Discussion thread

NQ-Nyota

24 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

Imagine you got your finger trapped and there is only 2 alternatives: cut it off and try to survive, or stay and die for sure.

The problem with this analogy is that i honestly don't care if NQ "survives" if they can't fulfill their end of a transaction that we entered into.

It's sort of like if i walked up to a Lemonade stand and ordered a glass of Lemonade and they were like "Ok coming right up" and then took my money.

And then after considering the cost of lemons, and sugar, and the labor it would require to juice the lemons.  They came back and said

"Oh boy we're so sorry but our business just couldn't survive if we made you a glass of lemonade, so here's a nice glass of water instead.  Now could you please step aside so we can sell some lemonade to the next person in line.

I get it that it's more profitable for NQ to launch the game again, but what about the launch that i already paid for?

15 hours ago, An0ubiS said:

My two cents about what you could do for the long-term players and supporters: How about an application process for magic BPs, like you did for the digging process after the terrain reset?

And another idea: give us VOXEL-only magic BPs, deleting every single element by creation; that way, we at least could keep our creations (plus, add the long-awaited BP snap feature for a decent rebuilding process).

Give players an opportunity to rebuild without loosing everything. That way, you could prevent people from stockpiling stuff, by previewing. Nobody would affect the economy in any way (plus, what Megabosslord said about preventing people from selling anything stored in magic BPs - problem solved).

I know, this would mean additional work for you NQ guys, but ... isn't that what we've been paying for, among other things? (some with multiple alt accounts + subscription, and even as backers) 🤷‍♂️

There are loads of ways NQ could have kept the ‘magic BP’ promise. Make them: 

- One-time-use with no removal of parts/honeycomb, or deletion on removal 

- Manual request as above

- 1 repair ‘life’ left on elements

- Honeycomb only

- Static and space only 

But that’s not the whole problem. It’s the pretending they never promised it that’s even more concerning: Stage-managing us instead of just being honest. And muting those who remind them of it on Discord. 

3 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

what about the launch that i already paid for?

I'm sure NQ has put a fair amount of effort to keep as many promises as they realistically can.  The Beta disclaimer we've all agreed to, "subject to change," still applies.  From my perspective the game will benefit in the long run from a wipe.  The short term is going to be rough but it should be worthwhile.

Basically DU is a grinding game. You invest your time to achieve progression. NQ promised that under all circumstances that investment would be persistent. That's why most of us invested so much time in it.
By breaking that promise, i lost my trust and probably won't do that investment of my time again. I don't even know how many thousand hours i spent to progress.
The reasons they state for this being a must, are weak. Honestly, i don't care if any "exploited" stuff that people gained stays in the game or not. there will always be a lot of players with more Quanta or other possessions in the game. In the end that is NQ's problem. If they did not act with a small rollback after accidentally giving away Warp Beacon Schematics for a way too low price.
And if people used lots of alt accounts to make money with the missions, i would say. clever.. they invested their time into that game mechanic when it was possible and made a fortune.
I personally did not benefit from any of those Exploits and have never been a mission runner. So why should all players be punished for that? Just because there is too much quanta or elements in the game? Come on NQ there are enough possibilities to resolve that.
The way they are doing the reset, is in my opion just a desperate attempt to make money with new player subscriptions,by giving the max "bonus" to anyone who now invests fresh money into  the game. And by doing that they accept the risk that a majority of senior players will just quit.(financially not a huge loss for NQ with available  DACs for a lot of those senior players.)

If they want to give new players a fairer chance for fast progression without having to compare themselves to senior players.. Just create a 2nd system, make it extremely expensive (energy or time consuming)  to transport mass there and have a new different currency there. problem solved without breaking promises. New players could spawn there if they want and build up that system.
Senior Players could travel there accepting the price and knowing that their Quanta would be more or less worthless there.

15 hours ago, Zarcata said:

Pure player markets are probably more of a nightmare than a wish that absolutely has to be realised. I don't necessarily need them, it's enough for me to bring my goods to the marketplace, list them there and, if I have a need, buy something from the market again straight away.
What more do I want as a player? Especially since it is probably one of the safest ways compared to a player-controlled market.

What could be done, however, is to pay the tax revenues of the markets to players or organisations if they are elected in a political system (area officials, planetary representatives, etc.) Provided that an election system with political possibilities would be introduced in DualUniverse. (I know it in a small form as an example from the game: Archeage).

The 'reverse dispenser' that has been coming Soon™ for years - and receives goods and returns payment - would have been far more helpful. Not only could you effectively put up a 'buy' order at your own facility and have multiple players come and fill it, but even better, if it also accepted blueprints, we could have used BPs as tokens to make pay-outs for games, competitions, salaries, interest on loans, insurance claims, org dividends, maybe even an in-game share market. Huge missed opportunity.

9 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

The problem with this analogy is that i honestly don't care if NQ "survives" if they can't fulfill their end of a transaction that we entered into.

Exactly source of my restlessness last 2 years. With only difference, that I kinda sharply felt that we being duped not on lines of wipe/not wipe (there was no doubts NQ will do it as logical finale), but much much before. With every year game being downgraded futher and futher from KS pitch -- something many of us paid for. So whole wipe thing is only last straw (for some?) in long chain of red flags planted on sides of road.

8 hours ago, Megabosslord said:

But that’s not the whole problem. It’s the pretending they never promised it that’s even more concerning: Stage-managing us instead of just being honest. And muting those who remind them of it on Discord. 

Again, nothing new with stage-managing and stage sweeping. This clear-ups of unconvinient opinions is not something new. Just before people who raised such question being often marginalized, attacked by "loyal subjects" (some of who now found themeselves on recieving end, suddenly).

If anything NQ always seriuosly struggled too be honest.

2 hours ago, Hagbard said:

Basically DU is a grinding game. you invest your time to achieve progression. NQ promised that under all circumstances that investment would be persistent. That why most of us invested so much time in it.
By breaking that promise, i lost my trust and probably won't do that investment of my time again. i don't even know how many thousand hours i spent to progress.
The reason they state for this being a must are weak. Honestly, i don't care if any "exploited" stuff that people gained stays in the game or not. there will always be a lot of players with more Quanta or other possessions in the game. In the end that is NQ's problem if they did not act with a small rollback after accidentally giving away Warp Beacon Schematics for a way too low price.
And if people used lots of alt accounts to make money with the missions, i would say. clever.. they invested their time into that game mechanic when it was possible and made a fortune.
I personally did not benefit from any of those Exploits and have never been a mission runner. SO why should all players be punished for that? Just because there is too much quanta or elements in the game? Come on NQ there are enough possibilities to resolve that.
As they are doing the reset, is it just a desperate way to make money with new player subscriptions by giving the max "bonus" to anyone who now invests fresh money into  the game. And by doing that they accept the risk that a majority of senior players will just quit.(financially not a huge loss for NQ with available  DACs for a lot of those senior players.)

If they want to give new a fairer chance for fast progression without having to compare themselves to senior players.. Just create a 2nd system, make it extremely expensive (energy or time consuming)  to transport mass there and have a new different currency there. problem solved without breaking promises. New players could spawn there if they want and build up that system.
Senior Players could travel there accepting the price and knowing that their Quanta would be more or less worthless there.

totally agree.   They are so desperate to get long subs in at launch that they are burning subs at the same time.  I had 2 accounts I wanted to sub, but to not be screwed for 6m TP i need to sub both of those for 13 months...Thats 26 months of sub time in advance or forever be worst off on TP's.... I know its not a massive amount, but im a very principle driven person.  I'd forever feel like my contribution wasn't good enough and worth less than a new beta player that subbed.(and like many others i've built a LOT of assets for DU).  I just can't do it so i won't be continuing with DU at all if this happens.  

I appreciate they don't care about my 2 subs....but its all I can do.

Yesterday in Markee Dragon's stream we asked NQ_Sesch how the 'loyalty rewards' will work with folks that had a subscription and/or gametime and had issues with billing/subscriptions and support 'fixed' it by setting us to 'beta' status.

This account for example had a regular subscription via NQ on beta launch, then went over to a year gametime via a code from the Markee Dragon store, so I paid for the 13 month requirement. But somewhere in there someone from support 'fixed' my subscription issue with giving it a 'betakey' status.

Just repeating the issue here so it isn't forgotten. As others have stated they have had similar issues and now similar concerns.

2 hours ago, Jinxed said:

What was Thoramine?

An exclusive T5 ore that very few people managed to get hold of in events that weren't really accessible to the majority of the playerbase. Retaining it in game serves no purpose except for mis-guided bragging rights, and its good for the game as a whole that its deleted.

Or change my mind 🙂

1 hour ago, Underhand Aerial said:

What a lie. Everyone could solve the puzzle. The puzzle as there, in the game, everyone could find the obelisks, everyone could solve it.. ^^

I play the game every day, I’m frequently on discord and constantly in the forums. I have only heard rumour of the obelisks. 

2 hours ago, Underhand Aerial said:

What a lie. Everyone could solve the puzzle. The puzzle as there, in the game, everyone could find the obelisks, everyone could solve it.. ^^

Only one problem. It  wasn't easy....

1 hour ago, Cybob19 said:

except everybody went: "what puzzle"

1 hour ago, Shredder said:

I play the game every day, I’m frequently on discord and constantly in the forums. I have only heard rumour of the obelisks. 

I watched streams since I was not yet fully mobile in-game when it was found.

s

5 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

An exclusive T5 ore that very few people managed to get hold of in events that weren't really accessible to the majority of the playerbase. Retaining it in game serves no purpose except for mis-guided bragging rights, and its good for the game as a whole that its deleted.

Or change my mind 🙂

I suspect we shall see it again in a big way.  It could be the kind of resource that orgs would war over, or it could be put back in as a needed component of crafting something NQ wants to be very rare in-game.

It's been fun.

It's going to continue to be fun.

I must admit, that I really wish the whining about how somehow you were lied to would just end. I don't care. no really, it just doesn't matter. If I point out that there was always a disclaimer there will be quibbling about that. So I will just settle on, "I don't care." I'm going to have fun and enjoy our actual Arrival  and awakening from Cryosleep. #TyimWasRight. Yup Aphelia lied to you. She might lie to  you again. (and again) get out there and conquer the universe anyway. 

8 hours ago, Distinct Mint said:

Or change my mind 🙂

Well, I have to disagree with the 'mis-guided' part.  The story of it is similar to the story of a few other things in DU -- a group of players got organised, put in a LOT of hours of grafting, wrote LUA scripts to help them, and thereby acquired clues quicker than everyone else.  Eventually they solved the puzzle while the rest of the clueless masses were blundering around and complaining in discord that it wasn't fair, they couldn't compete, we must be using hax, there was an NQ employee helping us, etc.  Which should sound familiar to anyone who has been paying attention to certain other discussions.  In fact they were just on the losing team.  Some people weren't aware of the puzzle at all, but that was one of the things that made it so much fun to solve.  The whole thing felt very 'ready player one' at a time when JC was using that reference a lot and it made the first few months of beta a lot more interesting.

Preserving the Thoramine wouldn't really hurt anyone because there's nothing that we can do with it anyway.  I'd really like to be able to make mine into voxel and create a statue with it.  I'd make one of JC and put it somewhere so the whiners could see it and tell me how mis-guided I am!  It would be hillarious.  And not much work for NQ.

Most of the players who had some have permanently left the game though and I think a lot of it was sold to someone who wasn't involved so it's not a great loss.

It's a shame to see the Thoramine go but since we're now finding out it doesn't "really" exist...

The "Beta was just another simulation after all" thingy, as the most probable pretext for the wipe, is actually what bugs me the most in the whole affair.

Incidentally, those who would want to know more about the puzzle and the Thoramine will find not one but two accounts of the episode at the Lexikon library, VR Pod "Lexikon"; come visit and read while it's still, well, here.

"you usually only get to launch a game once..." -  but after 'intensolutely' taking your money for over a year we have decided we can do it twice

NQ you should have addressed the problems at the time and not used them as an excuse to wipe years later. Thanks for wasting my time (and money, paying for accounts to 'keep' my stuff just in case there wasn't a wipe). I hope launch fails miserably as it is what you deserve at this point.

Edited by Kronskie

What puzzle?

And if there was, good job on solving it and finding whatever treasure there was at the end of the rainbow! I really love it when devs add such stuff to their MMOs, I might often not partake in those activities, but it's cool they are there. And it's a shame that everything that you folks have ingame of that achievement is going POOF! Maybe add a trophy in game for such events or if that's to much to ask, a specific achievement for that event...

43 minutes ago, Cergorach said:

What puzzle?

And if there was, good job on solving it and finding whatever treasure there was at the end of the rainbow! I really love it when devs add such stuff to their MMOs, I might often not partake in those activities, but it's cool they are there. And it's a shame that everything that you folks have ingame of that achievement is going POOF! Maybe add a trophy in game for such events or if that's to much to ask, a specific achievement for that event...

Problem is is that it wasn't accessible to the large majority of the playerbase. Most people didn't know it existed until it was over, so most people didn't get the chance to play. Now this is fine in itself, but most MMOs have figured out by now that you need to have all events/special things accessible by almost everyone. Later events by NQ did do this (the Gold Star event and similar), but they seemed to regress again on the PvP 🙂