RESET NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT - Discussion thread

NQ-Nyota

3 hours ago, Megabosslord said:

"With future wipes, as much of your assets as possible will be kept between before and after the wipe, in particular constructs will always be preserved, if necessary with special one-time-use blueprints ("Packaged Blueprints") that do not require ingredients..." ⬇

Thank you for the quotation and emphasis.

The reasons and logic that NQ has applied in this scenario do not contradict the above statement.  To get rid of all of the exploits means to get rid of all of the material and have a common start point for everyone.  The "magic blueprint" idea seems to me to have morphed into pocket ships, so the tech is certainly there.  Could NQ add in a way for us to save one (or five, or other arbitrary number) construct that doesn't currently fit the pocket ship rules?  Maybe, but what would the trade off be?  The fact that core BPs will survive the wipe is a huge improvement over the normal definition of a full wipe for release as is.

Does it fall in line with the expectations that many players seem to have interpreted?  No.  Are NQ trying to balance current player expectations with required choices for a financially viable launch?  I guess that's what this entire thread is meant to debate/consider.  IMO, NQ is making the best of a series of hard calls based on their current position rather than the initial dream.  That gives me reassurance that DU is likely to survive where many soft launch games have failed.

Cool. May those who remain have lots of fun. Bye!

If anyone has gotten the 25 fonts I have made. I highly recommend you make your own core blueprints from them. It will be the only way to have them in the future. They are DRM-free, so it should be pretty a pretty simple thing to do.

And yes, <whomever it may concern>, you can have my stuff.

I can't help but laugh at peoples saying "Now this is the release, there wont be another wipe !" or "You really thought there will be no wipe after a beta ?"

Beta release :
NQ - "No more full wipe now, we PROMISE !"
Players - "Yeay ! Let's play for real now, invest our time in it !"

Re-release :
NQ - "Here is the final full wipe !"
Players who played years - "F"
Players who have not played - "Yeay ! Get rid of all those beta cheaters ! Now I will play !"

Also NQ in this annoucement :
"We hope to have only one release"

It's HILARIOUS.
Good bye everyone. 

4 hours ago, merihim said:

THIS! So much. 

7 hours ago, Megabosslord said:

Yeah, sadly NQ don't have a great track-record keeping promises.

(31:58) "Whatever you do after beta starts is going to stay in one way or another... You will get what we call for the moment 'magic blueprints'... blueprints with everything included in it so you will be able to respawn the things as soon as we restart the server. So we don't like to call it 'wipe'... The key thing is the beta is really the start... You can start to invest yourself in the game. We guarantee that you're not going to be losing everything at some point... the universe is blank again, and you have to start from scratch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syku-NmSg4s&t=1918s

"With future wipes, as much of your assets as possible will be kept between before and after the wipe, in particular constructs will always be preserved, if necessary with special one-time-use blueprints ("Packaged Blueprints") that do not require ingredients..." ⬇

a57e22ce-a4d5-4f24-92bd-281fcd86309d.png

Yup, this is why I feel like people like me who bought in BECAUSE of this statement are owed a lot more. 

9 hours ago, merihim said:

Why only talent points? why not wiping all BPs too? so that we have all wasted our time^^

Because it positive PR to keep BPs.  The real question is how many of the BPs will actually still work after launch?  The new honeycomb numbers may require many to be worked.  Old BPs may have bugs... (I had an old pocket ship BP that couldn't be built because of component name issues), etc.  Of course, this is kicking the can down the road - they will have to deal with all this post launch, but I'm hearing the cry of "Whatever it takes, LAUNCH.  We will deal with fallout afterwards".  (If they were not, they would wipe the PTS world and let us test their new blank slate and find the worst of the bugs pre-launch)

How many subscriptions got canceled yesterday after this announcement?  (Most of my company did).

Many companies put much time and effort to building wealth the right way, not using exploit for BP's and such.  Throwing all of that time and effort away and asking to start new is to great a hill to climb for me.  You should have addressed the exploits at the time and rolled the servers back.  There was middle ground to be found here without letting individuals/companies keep all of their money/assets.

(SOL) Navy Drive Yards will be closed permanently.  Good luck.

16 minutes ago, LeeFall said:

Question: Will NQ be wiping image upload on the website. Don't see why they should but I have come to expect bonkers decisions these day. If you do, Please give us a button to download all images in a single zip.

Deckard was saying on Discord yesterday Image Upload would be safe.

image.png.43c3f561d077b58c73faa16387431800.png

10 minutes ago, Kurosawa said:

Hey NQ

you started this very active thread, perhaps, oh i don't know, answer some of the questions and do that communication thing

Hey Kurosawa!

We are gathering up the questions on here as well as those being sent through the Ask Aphelia form and we'll do our best to answer as many as we can. :) We appreciate your patience, our many thanks!

I've already submitted this as a question to Aphelia, however it has occured to me that no one seems to have asked if ore pools on all planets will also be reset. Currently anyone who is already sitting on high tier tiles can save the bookmark information as text and as soon as the wipe is complete can head straight to the high tier hex and skip the scanning part.

This would give players who do this a significant advantage over everyone else and new players.

So many questions in the forum waiting to be answered. In comparison, the few questions the NPC answers are only a small part of what players want to know. Could the NPC question rounds also answer 30+ questions at a time?

Fout me this means I Will just go back to 1 account. If I was able to keep the headstart with talent points I have made it would be worth of to have multiple accounts. 

Think I just go back to one and work with that. 

Question, do I keep my life time sub as a ruby founder? 

Question 2: do I het the 52k talent points after 6 months and 3k per month? So 18+52k= 70k?

21 hours ago, Gillwin said:

Couple questions i have.

do we start with any TU?  they are tier 5 to make so will be difficult to get after wipe?

TUs are not tier 5, regardless of what the item description says. They're easy to make, and are tier 2. Apparently they're size XL now, even though they're made in medium machines, but still... tier 2.

Cost is 20k per schematic (batch of 5). image.png.4a4ef1c7d38c2212e907cb56fddcc934.png

image.thumb.png.c5d144d8e02845eca396e9a836452529.png

People are drastically discounting the most important things we are keeping after the wipe:

1. Friendships we formed in Beta and Alpha
  2. The game knowledge we acquired in Beta and Alpha
  3. Not repeating the mistakes we made as n00bs

These things above are going to give us Alpha and Beta players a huge advantage over new players. Wipes are never fun but not wiping between Beta and Release has never been a norm in any game.

2 hours ago, ManfredSideous said:

People are drastically discounting the most important things we are keeping after the wipe:

These things above are going to give us Alpha and Beta players a huge advantage over new players. Wipes are never fun but not wiping between Beta and Release has never been a norm in any game.

I agree in concept, except:

1) Most of my friends from Alpha quit after 0.23, some of the few that remained stopped playing and are just awaiting launch - or were until recent news.  Others have been banned from Discord and the forum for saying things NQ apparently did not like - although they were not told why.

2 & 3) Most of what I learned pre-0.23 is hardly relevant anymore.  Flight dynamics has changed, combat has changed, orbital awareness (thinks like the safe zone edges) are under question, mining of course is a whole new game.  That's all OK, but the thousands of hours I invested, especially now that my 95.5M talent points are going to be nerfed (Just logged in to check, and discovered my 18 month training queue is empty - oh well), don't feel particular useful. 

Want a laugh?  Go read the FAQ that I wrote that was current as of October 31st, 2020:  

https://tinyurl.com/y2phpt3b  

Look and see how much has changed since then.  Note that was the accumulation of almost 3 years of knowledge (I started DU in February of 2018), is now almost completely obsolete.  Yeah, it was only posted in August of 2020, but that was the DAY we were released from the NDA required to be an Alpha player.

3) Noobs was SO long ago... lol.  I'm sure I'll repeat many of those same mistakes.

Admittedly, we have had almost an additional 2 years to adapt, for those that decided to continue post 0.23 and tough it out.  Many opted to wait until "release", which we expected much sooner than now (Please remember that the original roadmap had release in 2nd half of 2020 - many believed that would slip, but not into 2nd half 2022, and were not surprised when the December 2019 roadmap pushed release into "not early" 2021.  So many expected to have to wait a large fraction of a year post 0.23, only a few expected it to be 2nd-half 2022 (and I sincerely suspect they will make that - but its questionable given they have not told us).

17 hours ago, CredenceH said:

So if we got ships from people that don't play the game anymore. F those ships I guess.

They seriously need to keep the "constructs will always be preserved, if necessary, with special one-time-use blueprints" promise.

Actually, I don't even care about going that far, just give us a normal blueprint for all our constructs.

Even if they were worried folks would stockpile honeycomb/elements in BPs, all they had to do was vaporise anything removed from a 'one time' blueprint so it can't be on-sold. Eezy peezy.

3 hours ago, ManfredSideous said:

1. I already lost a bunch of friends with previous patches - especially the terrain reset. It makes saying gbye to the last few - if they'll even stay now - easier. And some of us will go play something new together.

2. The 'game knowledge' just means it will only take a year to rebuild what took 2 1/2 yrs the first time. Still not fun.

3. As above. 

I have a suggestion to improve the "thank you's" for those of us who have supported the game for so long and are about to lose everything.  Give us one magic dynamic construct blueprint of our choice.  Being able to bust out my M-core ship to get started with would be a game changer for making me want to jump in and start over again.   

20 minutes ago, Sinjin said:

I have a suggestion to improve the "thank you's" for those of us who have supported the game for so long and are about to lose everything.  Give us one magic dynamic construct blueprint of our choice.  Being able to bust out my M-core ship to get started with would be a game changer for making me want to jump in and start over again.   

Not going to happen.  I would max out my large core cargo ship, spend every dime on more L cargo containers and reduce my entire L core space station to parts and store them on that cargo ship.  Then BP that.  Any space I had left over would be filled with ore and intermediate parts.  Or, even better yet, just BP that space station and claim it - easier still.

I have a single 92 million talent point character. It is the only character I played since Beta day 1. No alts. I invested my time heavily in this character, the ships I built and my base on Sanctuary. And I loved playing. Now, I can understand the quanta reset, though what they are offering is insulting and kinda useless if you don’t start with it. The reset of territories, loss of ships? Ok, understand that…I have my blueprints...but they will be useless without my talents and a reasonable starting Quanta. I personally see no benefit to the idea of everyone starting out the same…quite the opposite. When I started I was inspired by the constructs (not just experience) of all the veteran players, it kept me in the game. This was a paid Beta, I never expected a reset of talent points, and kinda feel like it is a breach of contract between player and dev. Seriously, I was looking forward to starting as an advanced player, I earned it. There were months when I logged on daily but could not play (working an ER during the pandemic first wave in NYC was a no fun)...just to invest in this future day of launch and the coolness of being a veteran player with cool stuff and experience around all the noobs...when I actually had time to really play. I loved this game when I started, the potential was amazing and still don’t see anything like it in potential out there. But the loss of talent points I think is the last straw for me and Dual Universe. Talent points were the one thing no exploit could influence. No matter how good the game may turn out to be, I have lost my trust in the Devs, am a bit disappointed, and a bit all around upset.

41 minutes ago, ThePilgrim said:

I have a single 92 million talent point character. It is the only character I played since Beta day 1. No alts. I invested my time heavily in this character, the ships I built and my base on Sanctuary. And I loved playing. Now, I can understand the quanta reset, though what they are offering is insulting and kinda useless if you don’t start with it. The reset of territories, loss of ships? Ok, understand that…I have my blueprints...but they will be useless without my talents and a reasonable starting Quanta. I personally see no benefit to the idea of everyone starting out the same…quite the opposite. When I started I was inspired by the constructs (not just experience) of all the veteran players, it kept me in the game. This was a paid Beta, I never expected a reset of talent points, and kinda feel like it is a breach of contract between player and dev. Seriously, I was looking forward to starting as an advanced player, I earned it. There were months when I logged on daily but could not play (working an ER during the pandemic first wave in NYC was a no fun)...just to invest in this future day of launch and the coolness of being a veteran player with cool stuff and experience around all the noobs...when I actually had time to really play. I loved this game when I started, the potential was amazing and still don’t see anything like it in potential out there. But the loss of talent points I think is the last straw for me and Dual Universe. Talent points were the one thing no exploit could influence. No matter how good the game may turn out to be, I have lost my trust in the Devs, am a bit disappointed, and a bit all around upset.

Agreed.

The reasons for the wipe are so vague:

- They want to do another terrain reset, fine, no reason not to give the promised 'magic BPs' or just reset the terrain like last time, and let us decide whether to move/rebuild.

- They want to declutter the world of abandoned constructs? As above. Not a reason to stop active players from rebuilding, and not give us 'magic BPs'. (Plus, the clutter only happened because they gave everyone HQ tiles even if they were unsubbed.)

- They think new players prefer to start on an empty world? Speculation, and flawed - per your comments above. Also, making it painful for active players to rebuild only costs active players.

- They want to fix exploits? NQ-Deckard is on record previously saying exploits were all corrected and a tiny part of the economy. 

There's no stated reason that goes to the reversal on 'magic BPs'. The only other possible logic is the fear players will stockpile mats/elements in 'magic BPs' which could easily have been addressed by vaporising anything removed from their "one-time-use 'Packaged blueprints'" so it can't be resold. At least explain why they couldn't keep their word, rather than all the obfuscation.

10 hours ago, Calisius said:

Question 2: do I het the 52k talent points after 6 months and 3k per month? So 18+52k= 70k?

You will get 36,9 like everyone +3/mont  this will give you 36,9 + 18 = 52,9

Basically Exotics gets +50% points during first 6 months

Edited by Zychov

My two cents about what you could do for the long-term players and supporters: How about an application process for magic BPs, like you did for the digging process after the terrain reset?

And another idea: give us VOXEL-only magic BPs, deleting every single element by creation; that way, we at least could keep our creations (plus, add the long-awaited BP snap feature for a decent rebuilding process).

Give players an opportunity to rebuild without loosing everything. That way, you could prevent people from stockpiling stuff, by previewing. Nobody would affect the economy in any way (plus, what Megabosslord said about preventing people from selling anything stored in magic BPs - problem solved).

I know, this would mean additional work for you NQ guys, but ... isn't that what we've been paying for, among other things? (some with multiple alt accounts + subscription, and even as backers) 🤷‍♂️