PVP Balancing with new voxels value

ch3w8a

I think the new value on voxels are nice !
The new speed systeme is also a good feature.

but the cross-section as reference for hit chances seems unchanged...
as long as this method stay, only ultra small nano ship (high G / low hit chances) will be played

now we have mainly ultra low cross-section S / M core in fight
since month voxels on pvp ships nerf so much your max-speed and capacity to pitch/yaw/roll
L core are only used to carry M / S ship on batteground
time to kill is also an issue actually with big L ship 100k voxels - 100m+ ccs in a fleet fight you can be done in a few minutes 

i keep in mind that dual universe best feature for me is voxel building  (with V.P.T it's actualy the best building game i have ever played)

So for more fun and to keep creativity as the most enjoying part of the game while you build (and use) PVP ships :

- nerf weapon damage by about 50%
- suppress cross section as a reference
- re-implement lock by core as it was at the beginning of beta
- keep weapon lock by core
- also lock shield by core

i think it won't be so difficult has all the change already exist or have existed in dual universe

11 hours ago, ch3w8a said:

I think that it would be a good change so nano ships would stop being so OP. But instead of changing the whole aghoritm I would just make L and M weapons more acurate at shooting small targets. I would be very careful though, not to make Fighter ships completely useless. Fighters being the core of the battle seems natural to me, and they support the carrier meta. Carrier meta is great because it makes combat logistics and planing much more fun.

Edited by Zychov

I thing that L weapons and XS weapons damage is ok, the problem is in M and S weapons. Because of the accurancy factor their effective damage is actually bigger than L weapons. If we would make L and M more accurate, we could than make the damage difference a bit bigger between L and M and S. Again, with very careful baby staps.

Do you mean scanning range depending on core size / shield size? 

Edited by Zychov

Couple of other ideas

- I like the idea of small agile fighters and big ships that needs crew. Maybe that would be a nice idea to Make L and M weapons more powerful (or S and XS less powerfull) but disallow to use them with remote controller.

- With that being said, I think that there could be some L and M weapons designed to fight smaller ships. They could have better accurency against small targets but less damage and range. Still be more effective than just small weapons.

the idea behind the weapon nerf is to be capable th handle one or two hit on weapon / big element (engine - shield - warp)

actually if you have to vent your shield (L or M) it takes a long time and in combat you vent you loose ....

with voxel upgrade we now should have bigger than nano ship that can stay alive more than 1 or 2 s without shield
but the remaining problem is that weapon damage will destroy your element in seconds
with the cross section problem all your element are packed and if you take a hit all low life ones die instant only L-weapon XL-engine can take a shot without instant dying

On 8/4/2022 at 2:03 PM, ch3w8a said:

Some of these suggestions take things in a direction that NQ has specifically led us away from.
-----------------------------------------
This would greatly increase base time to kill and draw fights out to extreme lengths. We don't want fights where two forces just shoot at each other a lot, get no kills, and leave the fight when fuel gets low. This is why NQ nerfed voxel in the first place, and then nerfed shields in Athena patch. And you think that this would make L-cores stronger, but really it will just make the S-cores unkillable as they will easily be able to run and escape death even with ten ships shooting at them.

This definitely shouldn't happen. Ship design in DU is already super simplistic. Why cast out the one mechanic that grants a little complexity? The cross section:hit chance mechanic is also good because it affects how you pilot in combat - trying to keep your narrow face towards incoming heavy fire. I know you're not talking about taking it away entirely, but it's in a good place right now. We just need a similar mechanic in opposition to it. Something like this: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/25023-pvp-mechanic-idea-how-to-give-l-cores-more-potential-shield-stability/#comment-188567

Again, this will make small cores even stronger. At any time they'll be able to just leave the lock range of the L and M-cores and vent back up to 100%. And I don't know what lock ranges you're suggesting, but if you're talking about making it so L-cores can't lock onto small cores until they get close, the L-cores will be even weaker. L weapons have terrible tracking. It's already pretty easy for a S-core to evade L and M weapons by just staying within 10km.

I don't think this is a good solution because again, it reduces ship design complexity and variety. Rather than lock elements to core sizes, NQ needs to implement a power system that forces ship designers to make choices about what they want the ship to be.
-----------------------------------------
I know many people want L-cores to be strong again, but NQ needs to see how the voxel changes affect balance first. They even said they're not going to make too many changes at once. The last thing we need is for the battlefield to be all L-cores again. At least we have some variety right now.

Edited by TobiwanKenobi