PVE mining idea: electromagnetic meteorites

Serula

Meteorites can spawn on the surface, possibly with a minimum range from constructs or players.

The rules

- These meteorites have electromagnetic properties that will disable any ship if it stays in it's area of influence for too long.

- The players suit will also get damaged by it and you lose integrity until the suit fails and you die while you are in the area of influence.

- You won't be able to use your jetpack and you are slowed while on the ground.

- If your closest respawn point is on your disabled ship you won't be able to respawn there.

- Bigger ships/larger cores have a higher tolerance to the electromagnetic radiation.

- The only way to recover a disabled ship is to mine the meteorite completely or perhaps just the core of it.

- The meteorite contains rare ores t3-t5.

- The meteorite is small and is minable with the normal mining tool but mines slower than the equivalent ore tier it's made of but has a higher yeald.

- Meteorites don't spawn in the save zones.

- Lower tier meteorites are less damaging

- Meteorites have different sizes and also a different area of effect that's not clearly visible.

- Meteorites despawn over time.

Variations

- Some meteorites may contain gems.

- Meteorites lose their electromagnetic field over time.

- On foot the area of effect may need to be replaced by various orbiting hazards you can try to dodge.

- Meteorites can spawn near static constructs and damage elements on your base. (good for the market and base maintenance/protection)

- Mining bits of the meteorite lowers the damage of the field.

- Periodically a long range lightning strike can damage a single element outside the electromagnetic field.

- Meteorite events. possibly with a countdown because they were "spotted". Many meteorite strikes occur.

- Some consumable increases the suit resistance to the electromagnetic field for a short time.

- Meteorites can be shot and destroyed by weapons but won't leave any rewards or minimal.

This just leaked out of my brain so I thought I'd share it. Might be interesting to play around with.

First they need to get Random spawns working instead of this on Saturday things spawn stuff after a restart, then these would be decent dynamic things. the disabling thing i'm not sure about, seems like ppl will just park right outside the influence to avoid dealing with it. and if you die and you spawn back on alioth because your respawn node isn't working.. might be a little too frustrating in early game anyway after wipe when we dont have unlimited ships and warp cells. It could disable the ship but not the respawn node would be better balance I think. and as long as the disable time is at least a few minutes so your not affected just flying through.

but anyway... first let them get dynamic spawning going like a said, let's just start there =P

I'm all for planetary pvp,

and for pve environmental hazards, 

and for proper additional content,

but a random environmental effect disabling constructs without a proper defense would be annoying, especially with loss of the rez-node and on a pvp planet. Otherwise I'd have to agree with @Sagacious, the spawn of such things needs to be random and not all at once weekly.

I would perhaps suggest that area-environmental-damage would have to eat through a construct's shield and ccs before it could disable the construct, thus providing a way for players to extend the time they'd have to deal with dangerous environmental AOE so that they wont have to worry about having to panic-rush-mine a rock that spawned next to their stuff the moment they log back in.

21 hours ago, Sagacious said:

First they need to get Random spawns working instead of this on Saturday things spawn stuff after a restart

Are you talking about surface rocks? Because I don't think I've ever seen those respawn at all. Let alone randomly.

the disabling thing i'm not sure about, seems like ppl will just park right outside the influence to avoid dealing with it.

That's exactly the point. So they go on foot and they still have to deal with it.

and if you die and you spawn back on alioth because your respawn node isn't working.. might be a little too frustrating in early game

it's not early game because it won't be in save zones and maybe only on some planets.

It could disable the ship but not the respawn node would be better balance I think

Then players would just place a core with a respawn node and move it next to the meteorite. Link to a container outside the area and you have an exploit.

and as long as the disable time is at least a few minutes so your not affected just flying through.

It's supposed to be dangerous. There is no point in adding easy pve that nobody finds challenging because there is some trick so you don't have to deal with it. You can even still have a pocket rocket. I don't want to have pve so it can be easy. I want it so it can be hard.

first let them get dynamic spawning going like a said,

dynamic spawning of what? surface nodes? The MU could already do that.

18 hours ago, Taelessael said:

a random environmental effect disabling constructs without a proper defense would be annoying

I suppose there could be something to increase resistance. Like I suggested with the consumable for the nanosuit. Not sure if it's needed for ships. That could make it too easy.

18 hours ago, Taelessael said:

the spawn of such things needs to be random and not all at once weekly.

I agree.

The biggest problem I think is that PVP will be far too damaging and risky to make any statics in the pvp zone. Making this idea complete none sense because noone will be in that game loop.