They are now Copyrights not Schematics.

Tordan

Dear Devs,

They are now Copyrights not Schematics.

If it were up to me, I would change the in-game nomenclature to reflect the paradigm shift. Aphelia is charging us licensing fees.  I'm still not sure where that b!#$% gets off thinking she has that right, but that is a short story for another day.

Kewe to pensa kopeng?

Tordan

I agree. And my feedback when 0.23 came out is that we should have a licensing scheme, not schematics. What I proposed at the time would have been more flexible than the current copying system and would make far more sense. You could have bought the license that was more appropriate for your business at that stage. Newbie could grow into industrial titans, upgrading their license as they did so. Just like the real world.

What does not happen in the real world is that you need to copy a basic schematic file from the source over and over because the machine... eats it? Or do we have computer virus problems? I don't really get the supposed justification for many of the game mechanics, this one especially. I am pretty good at suspending my disbelief, but give me some kind of fairytale at least.

This new schematic system is over-engineered, and over complicated. When the system you implement to fix a system is more complicated, more boring, and just yet another "click and wait" time sink, you may have not done a good job.

The only mechanic they can actually implement, is some variation of "click and wait". Nothing fun. Nothing compelling. Just click on something, and wait for something to happen.  That's all they have "added" to the game in quite a few patches.

Mining...  Click and wait.

PvP...  Click and wait. (from a list of available other ships to attack)

Industry...  Click and wait. (copy schematics, and wait. Then apply schematics, and...  Wait for it...  WAIT!  LOL.  I crack myself up  :)  )

I am expecting building to become some form of clicking a shape, and waiting an extraordinary amount of time to have that shape appear. As long as it is from the approved list of shapes you can wait for. Yes, I am being silly at this point, but how long before this is in the realm of reality when it is the only thing that isn't just click and wait, and requires interactivity? Especially when everything else that was any form of interactive, is gone.

39 minutes ago, Metallical said:

This new schematic system is over-engineered, and over complicated. When the system you implement to fix a system is more complicated, more boring, and just yet another "click and wait" time sink, you may have not done a good job.

The only mechanic they can actually implement, is some variation of "click and wait". Nothing fun. Nothing compelling. Just click on something, and wait for something to happen.  That's all they have "added" to the game in quite a few patches.

Industry...  Click and wait. (copy schematics, and wait. Then apply schematics, and...  Wait for it...  WAIT!  LOL.  I crack myself up  :)  )

I am expecting building to become some form of clicking a shape, and waiting an extraordinary amount of time to have that shape appear. As long as it is from the approved list of shapes you can wait for. Yes, I am being silly at this point, but how long before this is in the realm of reality when it is the only thing that isn't just click and wait, and requires interactivity? Especially when everything else that was any form of interactive, is gone.

Du is currently the least-optimized mobile game money can buy.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:01 PM, Metallical said:

This all goes back to the basic question...

Can NQ look at all new features and simply ask is this adding or subtracting fun from the game. Everything else a feature is trying to achieve means nothing. Bottom line if you take the fun out of a game no one will play.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:47 PM, Deathknight said:

I am pretty good at suspending my disbelief, but give me some kind of fairytale at least.

It wouldn't be so bad if the premise of the rest of the lore was believable.

A rogue neutron star hits earth, eh...? Forcing everyone to pack up and give their lives to an AI, which then unpacks the remnants of humanity into a lawless land with no government...but consistent taxes...? After it constructs a bunch of clone markets, of course. 

Why pick a neutron star? A rogue planet or brown dwarf is far more believable and likely...an asteroid or comet would work even better. 

The nearest neutron stars are somewhere between 200 and 400 light years away from us. 

The chances of a neutron star getting closer than Neptune (which by itself would probably be catastrophic) in the next million years are something like 1 in 48 million or less. The chance that a neutron star actually hits the Earth? So small it's essentially impossible (1 in 1.4 quintillion -- that's 1 in 1.4 million trillion). 

I know these things are unimportant...but if you're going to make sci-fi lore, it doesn't cost you anything to make it within the realm of plausibility. One of my pet peeves is sci fi lore that doesn't even try. 

7 hours ago, Endstar said:

This all goes back to the basic question...

Can NQ look at all new features and simply ask is this adding or subtracting fun from the game. Everything else a feature is trying to achieve means nothing. Bottom line if you take the fun out of a game no one will play.

Fun seems to not be relevant to NQ. Only server costs matters.

TBH. Cost vs income is the only thing that matters. And everyone has told NQ it will not work. Everyone except "Builders". Which are very vocal and pushed everyone else away from this game.

This is the result of what "Builders" wanted. Everyone told you years ago. But you and NQ did not listen. Deal.with it.

Renaming Schematics to copyrights would be horrible, even renaming them to licenses might just create an antipathy, not just from older DU players, but every player that will ever try DU. Words have power! Schematics is a word that embodies creation, licenses and especially copyrights embody limitations. And while the Schematics system is a limitation, calling it out so obviously is a psychology move towards players.

Sure, there is certainly a psychology to the words being used. But things should make sense, especially within the genre of the game. They would be better off using mechanics where the verbiage used didn't need to even be debated. Just make fun game loops to act as a limitation. Who cares what it is called. When you put limits in place with no gameplay and no positive aspect to it, it sucks regardless of what the name is.