Ask Aphelia Episode #11 - Discussion Thread

NQ-Nyota

Aaand.. here comes the cash shop ..  ;)

Seriously though, I think a cash shop will be a good addition, provided it is managed well.

I thought the way Deckard was being _very_ careful about what he was saying about the HQ tiles was kinda funny ..   As we know the wipe will solve that issue and answer that question ;)

SO, the DSAT is not working as "NQ wants".. saying that is one thing but why not take the opportunity to elaborate a bit more and try to not get a storm of posts on what his means. I'd say that DSAT is pretty straightforward in what it does and Iam not sure how it can be working in a way NQ does not like as it really is just a UI interface for the route to asteroids..

A hopefully useful feedback.

About the questions like the last one, first It's much appreciated that you start taking this kind of open questions. But I feel this question has been answered in a "vague" way. What do I mean like that is I think those questions are particularly pertinent to talk about your vision of the game more in details. Indeed you talked about how the team was clear on what you want to achieve, and it is mentioned that it is to become a major tool for "events, missions, workplace, stories, whatever...".

And that's where I'm a bit saddened, don't get me wrong, as I do think personally that the LUA part of the game is doing rather great by design and by comparing it to other gameplays. LUA is my main activity myself.

Because that's the kind of things I really don't like hearing, If I had to rephrase it how I understood it, it would be "We do put great hopes innit, and we're agreeing that it's going to do great things, but we don't really know what". And I'm not saying that's the case, I'm saying that's what you're communicating to us.

And of course, I make it sound bigger than it is, I'm myself also french and I do also say much whatever even when not needed. My point is that is one of the root of the problem of the communication. First you need to remember that we have absolutely no roadmap, so we have no idea of the exact projection of where we're going. And then when you do communicate about it's very late and still vague. I do think you could have limited much more the uproars of problematic updates by communicating early, explaining your vision in depth of why you're doing the things this way.

So please, bring a maximum value to ask aphelia on that matter, as I do believe it's the most efficient way to communicate this kind of actual development state. Be specific about where you're going, explain why you're doing that. Because the problem of staying vague is that even if you answered the question logically, nothing is actually cleared and by doing it regularly you just end up losing people trust, like politics.

To go even further, be more proactive about those, no way anyone had asked a question about schematics when no one imagined that update. So maybe add a new slot within ask aphelia like "the weekly developer word" or whatever where you could anticipate and take that time to explain your view on the game, where you're actually going, and what awaits us.

excuse me but did they just casually say they will change how hq tiles work and they won't protect our builds forever at like 2:40. like the hq tiles are the ONLY reason territory taxes are ok. I can stop playing for a month or two without stressing out about loosing progress

I have been playing since alpha. Even though I can store tax money for weeks at a time it doesn't change the fact that before my vacations or times I am too busy to play I literally panic. I HAVE to log in and check I have enough money, and that's not fun. Having my tiles as HQ tiles is the cure to that. I can have my creative build on hq tiles and industry on taxed tiles. but if they are going to one day make it so that HQ tiles are eventually up for grabs it is a deal breaker. not just for me as a player. but to know that other creators can make a city or a cool puzzle on a tile and leave and that history will slowly dissolve. It would make the game feel like creative endeavors are hopeless and have no chance to be timeless. people might fight to claim the tiles before they are griefed or stripped but I don't think the games goal is to be 2b2t minecraft in space with people litterally fighting to preserve its history from grifers and the games mechanics. 

also I wanted to say I like the current ore spawning from calibrating, like the ore seems to spawn closer to the mining unit and it is very satisfying to harvest a large pile in one go, I'm into it

the only other thing I want to say is the sooner we get in depth date/time and exact specifications for how the final wipe will behave the better. we have all expressed that we want things like keeping our talent points but at the end of the day I just want to know exactly how and when, even if it means the wipe choice is one that makes us mad or screws over alpha and beta players at least we can prepare. there should probably be info/updates in every podcast at the end as well letting people be reminded of how the wipe will go and how to prepare 

we also like info on what the developers are working on and what they are excited about/looking forward to doing in their own words

Ravenskysong, 

your haven / sanctuary tile is the tile that would remain protected at all times for you to store things for long term absence. Tiles on planets will hopefully be open to territory warfare soon and I think were never meant to be permanent safe places.

my mistake then, with the original release of HQ tiles it sounded like it was a bandaid to sooth builders and legacy projects. unfortunately that leaves a lot up in the air until we know the timelines for when HQ's and the constructs on them will be in danger. it also means years down the lines people who have built neat things and left the game will have those bits of history and points of interest dissolve. 

basically like on anarchy minecraft servers, some people will focus on destroying the cool stuff and some people will focus on preserving it but the destruction always wins in the end

edit: just to say most of the issues I and others have will be solves, or we can work around them/ make them work, once we have all the needed information and know that system or info won't change in the future 

1 hour ago, Ravenskysong said:

my mistake then, with the original release of HQ tiles it sounded like it was a bandaid to sooth builders and legacy projects. unfortunately that leaves a lot up in the air until we know the timelines for when HQ's and the constructs on them will be in danger. it also means years down the lines people who have built neat things and left the game will have those bits of history and points of interest dissolve. 

basically like on anarchy minecraft servers, some people will focus on destroying the cool stuff and some people will focus on preserving it but the destruction always wins in the end

edit: just to say most of the issues I and others have will be solves, or we can work around them/ make them work, once we have all the needed information and know that system or info won't change in the future 

HQ tile or not when a sub goes inactive the server will start the 90 day decay timer on the accounts constructs that is not on its matching sanctuary tile. That is how it is now so adding the HQ TCU with that makes little difference to your argument. 

14 hours ago, Jake Arver said:

SO, the DSAT is not working as "NQ wants".. saying that is one thing but why not take the opportunity to elaborate a bit more and try to not get a storm of posts on what his means. I'd say that DSAT is pretty straightforward in what it does and Iam not sure how it can be working in a way NQ does not like as it really is just a UI interface for the route to asteroids..

NQ wants you to solve a mini game everytime, have charges on how many uses it has and you of course have to pay quanta... 😉

15 hours ago, Ravenskysong said:

Well an HQ tile is something personal for that player/account. It makes sense that this HQ status would be lost if the player is no longer a subscriber. We have seen through the beta that some people will only keep their attention on the game for a short while, but their mark on the landscape lasting forever is quite the nuisance. 

That being said, there are some really awesome player creations that I would not like to see lost if the original owner leaves. Perhaps we could one day get landmark feature, where a player or org contribution to the game is able to be preserved long-term, because it adds significant value to the game world (something that could be applied before the territory expires and it is first come as far as who gets control over it).

On 7/30/2022 at 11:58 AM, Sagacious said:

Ravenskysong, 

your haven / sanctuary tile is the tile that would remain protected at all times for you to store things for long term absence. Tiles on planets will hopefully be open to territory warfare soon and I think were never meant to be permanent safe places.

They haven't actually confirmed that they will be leaving our Sanctuary tiles as they are, or even that we will be able to keep the tiles themselves.

I can't but feel these questions and discussions are what should have been had during Alpha... are we still n Alpha?  The complexity of 'solutions' or alternative methods of gameplay just open more avenues for issues...  the KISS methodology seems to have gone right out of the window.  'Keep It Simple Stupid'.

As long as these solutions are focused and rooted in keeping money coming in, rather than enhancing the player experience and a 'fun' environment with minimal grind ... this will always head against the grain of expectations.

Add an aesthetics shop, guarantee HQ as long as a sub is paid - then archive the player account and tile which can then be revived if the sub is resumed to the nearest tile from the original if it's now taken with all assets BP'd (buildings / ships) any additional storage is lost.

A shop is almost a given now with most games... I don't see why DU should be any different, twitch drops, prime gaming drops, in-house events with monthly specials... engine covers, special voxels you can build and trade...

Whether it's been 'Star Cititzen', 'New World', 'Icarius' or any other game that's dropped picked up huge player numbers then suffered from feedback... they have shifted from major parts of intended gameplay to suit the player 'wants'... It's great having a vision for a game, but if players aren't going to enjoy and find the time / reward factor high... it's pointless having these discussions if nothing really changes your main intention.

Same with the wipe, there's so much that will be lost beyond the resources or elements.  The years of hours that built the game to show it's potential, the ships that no longer have creators so ownership will be lost... vast constructs that took 100's of players to build.  

ADD THIS ---->>> KNOWN ISSUE : Placement of elements i.e Hubs on Screens doesn't work as intended.  I personally won't be back until this is fixed.  Fed up of it being ignored.

On 7/30/2022 at 2:16 AM, Ravenskysong said:

excuse me but did they just casually say they will change how hq tiles work and they won't protect our builds forever at like 2:40. like the hq tiles are the ONLY reason territory taxes are ok. I can stop playing for a month or two without stressing out about loosing progress

TO be honest, from the moment NQ announced the HQ tiles they have said that the way these work can and probably will chance down the line. The only location your personal stuff is ever really safe (outside of things like a system wipe) will be on a starter planet.

Yes, always more Lua NQ, that's really what your game is missing.

No interest in implementing the PvP balancing requested by the community for months
Also no interest to ad PvE gameplay (mining with ships, chasing asteroids ...)

No no, we always need more Lua

Lua is one of the best and most innovative features in DU. Surely something positive for the game is not the reason for the game to struggle? If you are complaining that they are doing multiple things wrong, the solution cannot be to criticize the things they are doing right?

On 8/1/2022 at 6:17 AM, Deathknight said:

Lua is one of the best and most innovative features in DU. Surely something positive for the game is not the reason for the game to struggle? If you are complaining that they are doing multiple things wrong, the solution cannot be to criticize the things they are doing right?

I agree
The Lua system in the game is awesome, and very powerful. 

I also like the the MU and asteroid mining systems, although I think that the "broadcast" feature of asteroid mining should be removed. You should have to either find it yourself, or have a friend tell you the coords. 

Yeah, the broadcast makes zero sense and doesn't really add anything to the game. Even marking asteroids as found and not broadcast is silly. Why on earth would all of the DSATs be linked together? Ignoring how it doesn't make sense, it is not adding any PvP value either.

so now we need to log  once more, remove all stuf from  planet, dump it on a sanctuary moon and log out again....

Stuff keeps getting better, meanwhile im already trying for months to get ships from others parked at my spot to go Poof. Didnt know that if they waited long enough my HQ would go poof....

Tip, if you do not intend for a planet to be safe, dont tell people its safe, if you dont intend HQ tiles to be safe, dont tell people they are safe, If you dont intend to build server tech that can hous millions of players, dont tell the whole world that is just what you are going to do. And lastly, dont sell this crap under making a game better if its all for reducing cashflow, just be real and honest about that.

Just tell, server tech failed, game is only viable for 25 players, to many grids delete them now, stuff like that.

Slightly frustrated, but whats new.

There is one "Ask Aphelia" episode with less than 300 views. All the recent videos have less than 1,000 views.

If you sum up all the views from all these stupid videos, it's like ~4000 views. 

Meanwhile, the wipe thread has 10x more views, but no replies for months. 

These videos are objectively a waste of time.

No one is watching them -- more people watch videos like "Dual Universe: what the heck happened" than the official Q&A "podcasts" that cherry-pick questions submitted via a freakin' Google Form...

Like...I know NQ craves "balanced" feedback to mollify their ego, but they can't even do Q&A right 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

so now we need to log  once more, remove all stuf from  planet, dump it on a sanctuary moon and log out again....

Not sure what you mean that we need to move stuff from planets? Planets are getting wiped, no need to move anything. And they have always said that Sanctuary (now Haven) is the permanent safe place for your stuff, that did not change.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:19 PM, Deathknight said:

Not sure what you mean that we need to move stuff from planets? Planets are getting wiped, no need to move anything. And they have always said that Sanctuary (now Haven) is the permanent safe place for your stuff, that did not change.

So NQ will move all my stuff into my inventory???? that is Not on a sanctuary moon but on a planet?

Seems to be some confusion here. If they wipe they are going to wipe sanctuary. Otherwise everyone would move all their sh*t back there until after the wipe and there effectively not be a wipe. When they say your stuff will always be safe on sanctuary, they mean safe from pvp, safe from tax related repossession. Per NQ Dekkard, any Core BPs you own will appear in your inventory after the wipe. So make CORE BPs of any structures or ships that you can. It’s all probably going to get flattened.

Edited by Hecticus
Clarity