New Schematic System

WarrenOne

I was planning on waiting to see how the new system works before saying anything but the more I hear about this new system, the worse it sounds. The whole point of this game is to model it after somewhat realistic systems and theories (yes I know we can't warp in real life and the planet scales are off). However, this new schematic system seems like the most arbitrary system that could have been drawn up. I fear you (NQ) have already gone too far into it to be willing to go back to the drawing board, but I think this is one system where you are going to have to for people to want to play this game. A quanta/time drain into an intangible copying system makes no bloody sense and doesn't make anyone want to go into industry. My suggestion is to make a new system to combat the previous issue of unlimited industry crafting. If you really want to do it the right way with similar systems you've created, here's my STRONG suggestion instead of this awful current system:

The goal is realism in the theory. Let's compare it to the real world for a minute. The concept (recipe/schematic) of how a screw is made is cheap. It's a threaded rod with an imprint on the head for a screwdriver. The machine to makes screws is somewhat expensive. You can't make your own screws so easily by hand but there are the machines that make them for a price. The biggest hurdle why people don't make their own screws at home is that we don't know how. You have to buy the machine, have some schematics/designs for it, but then you have to know how to operate the machine to make that design. You have to go to an institute/knowledge base of some sort to learn how to do it. That is where I believe the limit should come in for the game and could add so much more fun gameplay.

Have Research Lab on all the planets with a passive research queue. Have it operate almost identically to the talent system, but you have to be at the Research Lab to be learning while logged out. The queue still goes as long as you are there even offline. If you want to learn how to make basic screws, you could visit one of these labs on any of the planets and have it take maybe 5 minutes. To learn how to make warp drives, you may have to fly out to Lacobus and require the character to research it for say 12 hours. It can be cumulative and have the ability to resume so if you have it research for 8 hours over night, you can go do other stuff and then leave it for the last 4 hours and add maybe another 4 hour research to the queue while you're offline. Your character then has the knowledge required almost identical to the "skills needed to run a machine" to make the part/element/consumable. 

With a system like this I would suggest two things to keep it fair: a limited queue amount and make the actual industry machines cost more to make in parts. The machines shouldn't be cheap as the real world works. Also to prevent completely passive endless research, make a queue limit of say 24 or 48 hours so players can't queue up 2 weeks worth and just log off and know everything when they log back on. All the numbers suggested were also arbitrary and adjustable. Maybe warp drives should take 24 hours to learn how to make, I don't know. 

Please consider a more realistic and interactive system for industry. This suggested incoming schematic change is ridiculous. It's just another passive money dump/resource gather. Just click a button to spend money every time you want something with no real reasoning other than "we need something to balance the game." You're just going to see everyone frustrated again that they can't make things without roadblocks only now instead of giving quanta to a non-existent entity, you also have to wait and they'll be consumed so you have to keep doing it every time you want to make an item. This is just a terrible idea.

5 hours ago, WarrenOne said:

Have Research Lab on all the planets with a passive research queue.

We live in a new solar system that was completely devoid of humans before we came here. And now there are suddenly laboratories everywhere? Who built them?

Sorry: Research is great - but not when I'm afk in the game and have to wait. The missions are already a horror. 

I can imagine that there are research labs that we players collectively find on the planets (as ruins) and then have to supply them with ores and rebuild them in order to get the knowledge there.

Only when the laboratory is complete can schematics be extracted from there to copy them into one's own database. In this way, laboratories and research stations could be distributed and researched everywhere in the solar system. 

Edited by Zarcata