Ask Aphelia Episode #10 Discussion thread

NQ-Nyota

13 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

This list was just off the top of my head, apologies, Aphelia, if I have forgotten to attribute something to you.

Aphelia also seems to control when and where asteroids spawn, and when and where you're allowed to engage in "space territory war" via alien cores. 

Aphelia also controls the Exchange, the closest thing to a "player run market" there is. It's powered by NQ reviewing Google Forms, lol. 

Aphelia controls NPC missions, while player missions seem to be rare. 

Aphelia is also the only entity that can print money...in other games currency is 'printed' by NPC drops, but DU doesn't believe in NPCs as a plural, it only believes in one all-powerful NPC that we can't ever directly interact with. 

52 minutes ago, CptLoRes said:

There is actually potential for a great piece of alternative dystopian story/lore here, with Aphelia turning out to be a evil rogue AI hell bent on suppressing the human race and controlling their every movement.

It already is. But only few of us can see it yet.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:22 PM, blundertwink said:

while player missions seem to be rare.

Too many limits and restrictions, for most stuff I wouldn’t or couldn’t use them even if people wanted to do them for free.

7 hours ago, Vargen said:

AIs was banned a long time ago but somehow they were allowed to run the ark ships. Maybe we need to find out how to use this Thoramine and fight back.

Nah, it's a couple of human megalomaniacs giving the AI it's marching orders... 😉

On 7/29/2022 at 7:24 PM, CptLoRes said:

There is actually potential for a great piece of alternative dystopian story/lore here, with Aphelia turning out to be a evil rogue AI hell bent on suppressing the human race and controlling their every movement.

I think its even more disturbing if you replace her with a random government and still the list is 70 to 90 % accurate....

34 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

There are way to many limitations and most not lore bound but server health bound. in the end this will be the nail on the coffin as in general people who look for sandbox games in space are no fan of limitations.

There are limitations in every game. What is more important is how well they are hidden so that when you play it feels like there are no limitations.

In Dualuniverse, however, these limitations become very visible.
- Only make 5/5 schematics at a time.
- Only have a maximum of 50 calibrations
- only generate a maximum of 6 recharges of calibrations per day.
- MiningUnits that produce a maximum number of litres per hour/day
- maximum elements that can be built into a ship before it becomes unplayable
- maximum number of cores that can be used for building
- maximum number of organisational steps

In addition, the solar system is designed to be very small, not in size, but in variety and design. Dead planets and moons that seem uncharitable to me. No real living forests, no rivers, waterfalls, interactive flowers, bushes trees, animals....es just seems empty and dead.