Ask Aphelia Episode #10 Discussion thread

NQ-Nyota

I'm not sure if these questions or the answers are really what players are currently concerned about.
I often have the impression with all the Lua questions that you didn't want to create a game, but a playground for Lua writers, whether professional or as a hobby.

The question about Sanctuary and Haven was unfortunately uninteresting for me. It would be much more important how a game release looks like with these two moons and the players. In the event of a "wipe" for all players, will there only be Haven or do you "have" to keep your Sanctuary tile? If we were to lose everything, does the new system with the base and launch plane also come to Sanctuary with landing and choosing what to build?

When will there finally be information for us players on how DualUniverse will continue? Fewer and fewer are playing because hardly anyone is motivated to play or even log in anymore due to the wipe idea. It's a terrible state of affairs at the moment - why are you delaying such information?

Every single new "limit" they add can be conveniently ignored if you pay for another account.

Meanwhile good ideas that could also address their industry issues, such as adding a power usage system, simply get postponed or completely ignored. Like, really, if NQ truly didn't want mega factories they could add some pool of energy per tile, similar to how it works with mining, and have each machine use a certain amount of power. There you go, nobody would be able to easily produce every single element without having to spread production across multiple tiles and constantly move inventory and obviously everyone would be in a level field, since having an alt or not wouldn't matter much.

19 minutes ago, Wolfram said:

Every single new "limit" they add can be conveniently ignored if you pay for another account.

Meanwhile good ideas that could also address their industry issues, such as adding a power usage system, simply get postponed or completely ignored. Like, really, if NQ truly didn't want mega factories they could add some pool of energy per tile, similar to how it works with mining, and have each machine use a certain amount of power. There you go, nobody would be able to easily produce every single element without having to spread production across multiple tiles and constantly move inventory and obviously everyone would be in a level field, since having an alt or not wouldn't matter much.

And we have told them this for years now.  I guess it really is about selling alts, because they know the player population will always be low.

1 hour ago, Wolfram said:

There you go, nobody would be able to easily produce every single element without having to spread production across multiple tiles and constantly move inventory and obviously everyone would be in a level field, since having an alt or not wouldn't matter much.

But it goes further then that. In the video they say specifically that "players should not be able to automate industry".

Meaning that having players running around manually performing mindless and tedious tasks over and over again, is something they actually want to be an essential part of the game. And this is very different from having to input ore (and energy if there was such a system) at one end, to get the final product at the other.

2 hours ago, CousinSal said:

I started with 1 account and got 3 beta keys, which became 3 accounts which I played regularly and at that time I intended to keep when the game launches, even through the introduction of Schematics until they brought in Taxes. Since taxes and the mining changes I have shrunk my 3 accounts all playing regularly to basically only 1 of them playing some of the time.

Every major change they make leads me to playing less, and if the schematics change and the industry limits change go through then I am likely only to play in a token way until I run out of DACs.

I am assuming there will be a complete wipe except for BPs and money for Schematics because that is all they have told us so far, which means that everything I have built so far will disappear so I will also disappear over the time it takes for my DACs to be used up.

If they are putting limits in to make us pay for more accounts that is a good way to lose us to a game where a single subscription is enough for the game to be enjoyable, and there are games around for which that is true.

Of course it should, and it has be done so countless times now.

But as usual NQ is being NQ and doing their thing, frustrating players and burning bridges.

And there should be no question that this is hurting NQ. The game is a ghost town, and most people can't be bothered any more as demonstrated by the sharp decline in replies to these ask-aphelia threads. And why should they? It is not like NQ is rewarding their feedback, and DU is definitely not the only game in town..

For me this new schematics system is a terrible mistake, I guess I will discover it wen it comes live, since yes I know it will be forced to us, but so far I can only imagine it as a mindless repetitive task, another way to charge us a taxe.

at this point the only thing I want to know, when is this wipe going to hit us, or are you guys traying to make players abandon the game update after update so that once no one will be left ppl won’t be upset to lose there stuff?

On 7/22/2022 at 3:59 PM, Tordan said:

I agree with Zarcata.

The only thing ANYONE wants to know really is:
"Wipe or no wipe?", "how much?", "When?"

Everything else is irrelevant until we know that.

I've been screaming this for the 3 months since the wipe talk. I mean WTF? We have to wait 3 damn months (a whole business quarter) to get a decision that effects the player base in such a way that the game is going to die because everyone has left because of indecision.

I mean I just found starship evo and it has one guy developing it and it already has everything this game has including better voxel tech with moving parts like hinges and rotation.( land vehicles and mechs)  and you get to scale engines and thrusters to the ship. The map is thousands of systems almost in the vein of elite dangerous. 

And it has some pve and has online pvp. Yes it's in VERY EARLY access but it shows how far up their ass these Devs heads are. To have a whole group of Devs that can't beat a one man show. Embarrassing. 

Edited by FatRillos

1 hour ago, FatRillos said:

I've been screaming this for the 3 months since the wipe talk. I mean WTF? We have to wait 3 damn months (a whole business quarter) to get a decision that effects the player base in such a way that the game is going to die because everyone has left because of indecision.

I mean I just found starship evo and it has one guy developing it and it already has everything this game has including better voxel tech with moving parts like hinges and rotation.( land vehicles and mechs)  and you get to scale engines and thrusters to the ship. The map is thousands of systems almost in the vein of elite dangerous. 

And it has some pve and has online pvp. Yes it's in VERY EARLY access but it shows how far up their ass these Devs heads are. To have a whole group of Devs that can't beat a one man show. Embarrassing. 

Damn that is embarrassing.

9 hours ago, FatRillos said:

Ahh.. Thanks for reminding me. I bought it a while ago to support the develuper, and now it looks to be maturing enough to give a try.

Note to NQ: posting a short weekly video then opening a thread is not community engagement or management.

It's a one-sided video (not a discussion) where you don't even bother to read the forum to answer questions! You require people to use form to submit them, then cherry-pick the ones you want. That just underscores the fact that you don't read the forum. 

Even worse, there's zero engagement on these "discussion" threads...questions about your videos go unanswered, obvious criticism or feedback goes unaddressed, and it's been months since you've even acknowledged that you have mentioned a wipe. Months. 

It feels like there's maybe 3-4 hours of community management work done every week...

For a company that's always "out of time" across every team, I just don't understand how they utilize it so poorly.

If the CMs are "out of time" with this level of engagement, I just don't understand where that time is going...unless the CM work is 5-6 hours a week part time I just don't get what is going on every day.

And that's the general feeling with NQ: no one understands why simple things take forever, and why everyone is always out of time when so little seems to be going on. 

2 minutes ago, blundertwink said:

Note to NQ: posting a short weekly video then opening a thread is not community engagement or management.

It's a one-sided video (not a discussion) where you don't even bother to read the forum to answer questions! You require people to use form to submit them, then cherry-pick the ones you want. That just underscores the fact that you don't read the forum. 

Even worse, there's zero engagement on these "discussion" threads...questions about your videos go unanswered, obvious criticism or feedback goes unaddressed, and it's been months since you've even acknowledged that you have mentioned a wipe. Months. 

It feels like there's maybe 3-4 hours of community management work done every week...

For a company that's always "out of time" across every team, I just don't understand how they utilize it so poorly.

If the CMs are "out of time" with this level of engagement, I just don't understand where that time is going...unless the CM work is 5-6 hours a week part time I just don't get what is going on every day.

And that's the general feeling with NQ: no one understands why simple things take forever, and why everyone is always out of time when so little seems to be going on. 

Thank you for putting into text what I, and likely the rest of the community, thinks.

Wasn't the Panacea patch meant to be the turning point with actual engagement from NQs side? Or did I just dream that?

quite frankly, i can't be bothered to watch yet another of those videos. It doesn't answer the most important question that sits  above all other questions and  unless that is taken off the checkerboard all other topics, to be blunt, are inconsequential. NQ should not have opened that can of worms until they had a clear idea what to do with it. But than again NQ has seldom had a clear idea about anything related to Dual Universe. Episode 9 was yet another clear example of a proverbial monkey throwing random items at the wall to see what sticks to it, i have no reason to consume more of those "community engagement [filtered]-bits"

I have much better things to do with my time , and i'm well beyond any attempt to provide feedback back to NQ, they may hear everything, but they seldom, if ever truly understand the words being said.

Less than 20 posts of feedback, this is saddening.  I get all the points here.  I came back after an 8 month break to rebuild 2 ships, and then hit the issue of the hub not sitting correctly on a screen, only wanted the right to look the same as the left which worked fine.  Just couldn't get past that so started another ship waiting for that to get fixed...  second ship - smaller - couldn't get the screens to sit the same as they glitched out moving them across storage boxes.  Simple problems that have been around forever, nothing in the grande scheme of things and compared to the work that has been done.  But things that should not be there for a game at this stage.

My fear, as much as love this game and have been there from the beginning, is that by the time it goes for release, it will be dated, there will be other options and the 'single shard' selling point just won't hold it up.   Freedom is what we were promised, yet all I see are limits coming... you can't tame the universe, but you are trying to put it in a cage.

I still have hope.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:39 AM, Bazzy_505 said:

I have much better things to do with my time , and i'm well beyond any attempt to provide feedback back to NQ, they may hear everything, but they seldom, if ever truly understand the words being said.

Devs never have an objective view of their product. Never. Fresh perspectives from actual gamers is extremely valuable, and the community has poured their time and effort into articulating those perspectives. 

Unfortunately, sometimes ego or arrogance gets in the way. They really don't have an interest in processing feedback because they believe it is all unfair, toxic, or that the community will never have anything positive to say...so why bother? 

That's taking things personally instead of being professional and objective. They've struggled with this for years with no improvement. They've only grown more disdainful of criticism, when it's 100% for their benefit...that's not a sign of a mature, experienced studio staffed by professionals. That's a sign of hubris. They don't get that we want NQ to succeed...and part of that is telling them when their "vision" is not working. 

Ego is seeing almost every player reacting negatively to changes, but insisting "it is for the best, and players just don't understand why we need to do it". Ego is knowing that the change "probably isn't fun" but insisting that it's needed, regardless. 

They're making a "game", we're telling them it isn't fun, and they reject that opinion because they know better.

After years of this, only an idiot would be surprised at a lack of enthusiasm or positivity from the community. This is yet another facet of the business that NQ has designed for years, then complains about not working the way they want. 

Checking again.  Another useless 10 minutes of my life with the promise to spend mind numbing hours making something useless just to put it in a machine to keep it going.

The  wipe dont bother me, not knowing does and it is the most unprofessional thing i have seen in a game since Smedleys upgrade to SWG which lost 50% of users immediatly.  Add that to the crazy idea of schematics and i sell 11 people on the servers..   If they lucky..

Please NQ get your head out of the sand and read the thousands of people who disagree with you! 

Sincerely  A very dissatisfied previous multi account holder!

27 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

Even Star Citizen knows how to keep their players informed of pending wipes. 

heck they are looking two wipes ahead. 

they are also in Alpha, just like DU claims it isn’t. 

Say what you will about Star Citizen, but you gotta respect them for correctly classifying their game, and treating it as an alpha with regular wipes and doing what they can to develop their game.

moar limits, we need Moar limits, and our money back.

For a limitless sandbox game with no true boundaries and you can build all you can imagine there are alot of limits.....

you should run for office in the netherlands, they need more people with no actual recollections of memories, or vision.

@Aaron Cain  Ah, the limitless sandbox: Entirely built and driven by players, except for the game bits, apparently.

Aphelia created schematics with

aphelia chosen artificial limits.

Aphelia built marketplace on

aphelia built property

Aphelia owned market storage charging

aphelia calculated taxes.

Aphelia taxed sales accessed from

aphelia built consoles.

Aphelia designed mining units with

aphelia controlled remote kill switches

Aphelia controlled armistice zones protecting

aphelia taxed planets with

aphelia taxed hexes.

Aphelia controlled deep space scanners listing

aphelia leaked info on other players' activities.

This list was just off the top of my head, apologies, Aphelia, if I have forgotten to attribute something to you.